U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So back to the topic. Anyone else skip the beverage with meals?
No, I always drink a 256 oz. Super-grande-cola when I eat one of my 5 daily fast-food drive-thru meals. Anything less would be un-American.

Obviously I am being sarcastic. Can you say the same about the inferences in your posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:37 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,210,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another thread brought to my awareness that I virtually never drink when I eat. I have plenty of water throughout the day and enjoy a beverage on its own or with a snack, but when it's a meal, I concentrate on food and never drink anything with it... Is that unusual?
For most of my adult life, I haven't been drinking anything with my meals. One reason, is that there's a lot of water content in much of what I eat. I usually eat a big pot of stew for my main meal and once a week, have a pot of fresh-ground oatmeal. I add a pint of nonfat plain yogurt to those things, after cooking. I eat many fresh fruits and vegetables, as well.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:57 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
No, I always drink a 256 oz. Super-grande-cola when I eat one of my 5 daily fast-food drive-thru meals. Anything less would be un-American.

Obviously I am being sarcastic. Can you say the same about the inferences in your posts?
My last post on my beverage PREFERENCES (not sure why anyone should care). Coffee, tea, water, even juice are great; I occasionally enjoy a diet soda or flavored sparkling water. Large sugary sodas can and do contribute to obesity and diabetes, so am I a fan of them for me or anyone else? No. Sorry if that offends anyone (again, who cares)? But it's a free country.

You do you!

Now back to the topic (the drinking of ANY beverage with meals)...

Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,398,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Why would anyone ever eat wings or pizza if you can't enjoy them with a beer?

It enhances the meal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It enhances your meal. It's okay with me if you have a beer with whatever you're eating.

I rarely need a drink to wash down my food. I like the taste of the food and don't need "enhancement".

What I do like is coffee with my dessert. But that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
YOU don't have to drink anything with your meal.

I like beer and wings.

I like beer and pizza.

So I will drink beer with those two meals.

See how that works?
To recap: 'twas I who said that you were welcome to have a beer.

You, on the other hand, intimated that there would be nary a wing or a pizza sold without the option to accompany the meals with a beer. My third-grader lives for Friday school lunch when pizza is served. Maybe it's really the beer she likes...wait...What?...So people do eat pizza without a beer?

Old 09-06-2018, 01:00 PM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
If I'm home I have my homemade iced tea. If I'm out I usually just have water because I don't drink enough to pay $3 for a soda or tea. I barely finish 1/3 of a glass.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM

723 posts, read 494,724 times
Growing up, I never drank anything with my meals. Part of it was due to lack of need ( I either consumed enough liquids as part of the meal or beforehand), and part due to habit.

Up until my teens, I ate traditionally prepared Vietnamese dinners comprised of a soup (canh), vegetable dish of some sort, a small amount of meat or fish, small bowl of steamed rice, and if we had dessert, it was usually just fresh fruit. The soup was a key component of every meal, which probably lessened the need to drink a liquid on the side. Now, it has become a habit and I prefer not to drink anything while I eat, except when eating out, and only with salty/sweet or low water content dishes.

I noticed many other countries also featured soups as part of the traditional meal, and this probably also lessened the need to drink with the meal, other than to enhance it in some cultures (wine).

Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Growing up, I never drank anything with my meals. Part of it was due to lack of need ( I either consumed enough liquids as part of the meal or beforehand), and part due to habit.

Up until my teens, I ate traditionally prepared Vietnamese dinners comprised of a soup (canh), vegetable dish of some sort, a small amount of meat or fish, small bowl of steamed rice, and if we had dessert, it was usually just fresh fruit. The soup was a key component of every meal, which probably lessened the need to drink a liquid on the side. Now, it has become a habit and I prefer not to drink anything while I eat, except when eating out, and only with salty/sweet or low water content dishes.

I noticed many other countries also featured soups as part of the traditional meal, and this probably also lessened the need to drink with the meal, other than to enhance it in some cultures (wine).
Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or