Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:02 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

I get the hiccups if I don't have something to drink during meals, especially if the meal has high carbs (potatoes, pasta, bread). Weird yes, and I don't know why...

Sparkling water with breakfast and lunch, wine with supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I never drink anything during a meal!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
When we go out to a good Italian restaurant, which there aren't any locally, our water choice is San Pellegrino and our wine choice is Banfi Classico Reserva Ducale, chianti. We expect to spend $200.00 to $300.00. We only do this about once or twice a year on special occasions. Right now the closest one to us is in Daytona Beach, about 300 miles away.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I guess I produce enough anticipatory saliva during the gustatory experience that nothing is "dry" or "hard to get down" (unfortunately; I might weigh less if I drank more liquids to displace room in my stomach).

It might also be because I seldom sit down to a formal four-course meal, as such; I'm more of a grazer (small, frequent meals).

With a snack like cheese and crackers, I'll have wine; with chips, I'll have diet soda or flavored sparkling water. I also like a refreshing iced beverage on its own in summer or hot cocoa or cider in winter. But with a meal, I don't drink; I just eat. Even in a restaurant, I'll order water with lemon just in case the food is really late in arriving (to have something to do), but once it does, the drink -- which, if other than water, is always ridiculously overpriced in a restaurant anyway -- sits untouched.

Interesting!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Why would anyone ever eat wings or pizza if you can't enjoy them with a beer?

It enhances the meal.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Why would anyone ever eat wings or pizza if you can't enjoy them with a beer?

It enhances the meal.
It enhances your meal. It's okay with me if you have a beer with whatever you're eating.

I rarely need a drink to wash down my food. I like the taste of the food and don't need "enhancement".

What I do like is coffee with my dessert. But that's just me.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It enhances your meal. It's okay with me if you have a beer with whatever you're eating.

I rarely need a drink to wash down my food. I like the taste of the food and don't need "enhancement".

What I do like is coffee with my dessert. But that's just me.
Same here; I enjoy coffee with dessert, beer or soda with chips or some other salty snack, but when eating a whole meal, I don't feel the need -- or seem to have the time or the room -- for a 64 oz. (or whatever it is) beverage. The drinks included with those fast food "extra value" meals and buffets are always wasted on me.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another thread brought to my awareness that I virtually never drink when I eat. I have plenty of water throughout the day and enjoy a beverage on its own or with a snack, but when it's a meal, I concentrate on food and never drink anything with it... Is that unusual?
Well, the simple fact that when you eat in a restaurant, it's a given that there is a drink order (and often involves refills throughout the meal), that seems to suggest that food without drink is unusual.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well, the simple fact that when you eat in a restaurant, it's a given that there is a drink order (and often involves refills throughout the meal), that seems to suggest that food without drink is unusual.
And that's in addition to "super-sized" meals. No wonder people's stomachs are all stretched out.

I suppose so. As well as the fact that table settings, since time immemorial, have included glass wear, although that could be just a reserve water in case of choking or something unsavory being served (to wash it down). The cups and saucers could be for dessert coffee, which I'd go along with.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Some types of foods are well complimented by a properly paired drink:

Rare steak with red wine

Waffles and maple syrup with milk.

Burgers and fries with soda.

Otherwise, I prefer water, sparkling or still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink