U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times

Advertisements

My ex wife used to tell a story on her older brother when he was in his early teens. Thought he'd bake some cookies he saw that had coffee in them. The problem was, when the recipe called for 2 cups of coffee, that's what he put in...2 cups of coffee grounds, not coffee. She said they were the nastiest cookies she ever attempted to try. Their dad made him keep and eat most of them for wasting his coffee. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,541,890 times
Ginger root is vastly over-rated. It is best as a minor flavor accent, not a major ingredient.

I had an ex-gf who was an experimental cook. One memorable dinner was some sort of pork medallion sautéed in red grapes. Not only did it taste weird, it was purple.

Purple pork.

Presentation matters.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,420,653 times
Three pieces of advise to avoid my failures:

Label all spices purchased from bulk spice jars at health food stores. One epic failure was Irish soda bread. I use raisins and caraway seed in mine. One batch just didn’t taste right, it was in fact awful. Caraway and cumin seed look identical, especially in an unmarked jar.

Trust your instincts, I was gifted a cookbook written by a well known chef years ago. I knew 1 tbsp of salt was wrong in baked goods, but thought the chef knew more than I did. What the chef needed was a better proof reader. That failure and two other lack luster recipes made it easy to toss that book in the trash.

Never send someone to the store to get cilantro if they don’t know it from flat leaf parsley when you're in a time crunch.

Oh, there is a fourth. Never pour spices directly into a dish because you can eyeball the amount. Pour it in your hand first. Amazingly, larva of some insect can survive in chili powder. I’ve never trusted any dried spice since I threw out that batch of chili. They are all suspect now.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,795,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

..... Oh, there is a fourth. Never pour spices directly into a dish because you can eyeball the amount. Pour it in your hand first. Amazingly, larva of some insect can survive in chili powder. I’ve never trusted any dried spice since I threw out that batch of chili. They are all suspect now.
I can attest to that. My dad once cooked up a huge pot full of spicy venison stew for a party of loggers and amongst many other ingredients the recipe called for chili powder. After it was cooked and served one of the guests raved about how good it was but wondered what was the name of the seasoning that was the little black dots that were floating in it. Another fellow examined the black dots closely and declared they all had six legs. They were tiny, tiny beetles. Sure enough when dad checked all the ingredients from the pantry, upon close inspection he discovered the jar of chili powder was crawling inside with little black beetles, there was more bugs than real chili.

The loggers all ate it anyway. It was cooked, it was protein, they'd eaten worse things they said, and the stew tasted good and they didn't want to waste it.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Once I read a recipe for Brazil nut pie and made it. Seriously. It was so very bad.
Bet no one that reads this has ever eaten Brazil nut pie. Except me. One mouthful and into the trash.
I'm sure no one remembers the tv series "Hazel". She went to a ladies meeting where they watched a film advertising something with a subliminal message that said "buy Brazil". She was going to make a pecan pie and "unexplainably" bought Brazil nuts. The pie was horrible.
Isn't it funny your post brought that to mind?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 AM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
The first time I cooked with leeks, I just chopped up the whole bunch and tossed it in. I ended up with an inedible fiberous disaster that went straight into the trash.

I’m a “more is better” with herbs and spices. I once put a whole bunch of fresh rosemary sprigs into a beef stew. More like rosemary logs. 4 hours later, I had pine tree stew. Inedible.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Three pieces of advise to avoid my failures: Oh, there is a fourth. Never pour spices directly into a dish because you can eyeball the amount. Pour it in your hand first. Amazingly, larva of some insect can survive in chili powder. I’ve never trusted any dried spice since I threw out that batch of chili. They are all suspect now.

Nowadays when I open a new jar of spice, I take a permanent marker and put the date on the jar so I know how long it has been opened. When I briefly lived with my mother and was preparing a meal I noticed she had a spice I needed that was from Waldbaum's which is not in Florida and she had been living here 24 years at the time!

When I was first married to husband # 1 at 18 I knew nothing about cooking. I tried making "instant" coffee by using regular coffee grounds because that's we had in my house growing up. I just figured the grounds were in a can instead of a jar. I couldn't understand why they were just floating in the boiling water instead of dissolving.

I've had a couple of things over the many years that I have tried and not liked enough to ever make again but I've been pretty fortunate with new recipes.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:09 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Oh my gosh, I just remembered a pretty recent spectacular failure!

I went gluten free recently and it's been pretty easy, but I have been experimenting with different gluten free flours, and have found that some are DEFINITELY better than others. Also, I agree with the whole "gut instinct" thing - if you feel like something is off in a recipe, trust your gut.

So anyway, I had bought gluten free, corn based flour. NOTE: CORN FLOUR IS FINE - IF YOU USE IT IN SOMETHING LIKE CORN BREAD. Other stuff - not so good. I found this out the hard way.

I had found a pretty complex recipe for a sort of pound cake - now here's where the gut instinct comes in. This cake had both corn and basil in it. Corn and basil. Cake. That should have been my tip off right there, but no - it came from a usually good source of recipes, so I thought, "Hm, that sounds interesting, I think I'll make it!" I used the corn flour too.

Not only was the cake expensive to make - it tasted absolutely HORRIBLE. And I can't even find the recipe when I google it now - and I made this only a few months ago, so it must have really been terrible, not only to me but to whatever source originally published it.

Plus it took about an hour to bake. I kept thinking, "Honestly, that doesn't really smell all that delicious." Right. Because it wasn't at all delicious.

Worst. Cake. Evah.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 15,267,317 times
Someone told me to try a mushroom flavored beer a couple years ago. It was utterly disgusting.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 AM

215 posts, read 72,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm sure no one remembers the tv series "Hazel". She went to a ladies meeting where they watched a film advertising something with a subliminal message that said "buy Brazil". She was going to make a pecan pie and "unexplainably" bought Brazil nuts. The pie was horrible.
Isn't it funny your post brought that to mind?
I loved Hazel! And I think I even remember that particular show now that you mention it but not that she baked a Brazil nut pie, just the film subliminal part lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink