U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 AM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had found a pretty complex recipe for a sort of pound cake - now here's where the gut instinct comes in. This cake had both corn and basil in it. Corn and basil. Cake. That should have been my tip off right there, but no - it came from a usually good source of recipes, so I thought, "Hm, that sounds interesting, I think I'll make it!" I used the corn flour too.

Not only was the cake expensive to make - it tasted absolutely HORRIBLE. And I can't even find the recipe when I google it now - and I made this only a few months ago, so it must have really been terrible, not only to me but to whatever source originally published it.
Was it the corn flavor/texture you hated, or the basil? Did you use dried basil or fresh? Dried basil is one of those things that to me tastes so horrible, there's no reason it should exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
[quote=jay5835;53000866]Was it the corn flavor/texture you hated, or the basil? Did you use dried basil or fresh? Dried basil is one of those things that to me tastes so horrible, there's no reason it should exist.[/quote]

That's how I feel about cilantro.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:06 PM

13,009 posts, read 12,440,016 times
Worst morning ever. I was on a steel-cut oatmeal kick and used the last of the box for breakfast. I was ravenous and soooo looking forward to a big bowl of warm whole grain oats with all the fixins. It was the middle of winter. I finished cooking the oats and flavored them with a cube of Kerrygold butter, a glob of vanilla paste, a sprinkling of salt and finally a generous powdering of cinnamon. Except it wasn't cinnamon. It was chili powder. I considered crying but I think i just made some toast instead.

In my defense, I start work at 6 in the morning, so i'm usually not firing on all cylinders when I make breakfast.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,217,954 times
I usually buy bulk herbs and spices, and learned to put them in the freezer for a couple weeks to kill eggs and larvae. Eventually, I just stored them all in the freezer to prolong freshness.

Worst recipe ever? If you count the price, it would have to be the canneloni from a well-known TV cook's book. She left some steps out of the book, but I had watched her make it on TV, so knew what to do. It started with roasting a pork loin (smelled so good!), then making pasta and prepping other expensive ingredients. Then you put the pork and whatever through the foodmill and fill and roll the canneloni. After baking, the finished texture was awful, like eating raw ground pork. Tossed out the whole pan.

I've since had similar canneloni in restaurants and hated it, even though I usually love the stuff. I assume it's a regional variation.

I won't even watch her cook on tv any more.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:02 PM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times
When my daughter was in first grade they had a unit on Japan. For some reason I didn't understand they needed pound cake and the teacher called me and asked me to bake one and bring it to school.

I could have just gone out and bought the standard Sarah Lee but I wanted it to be especially good so I made it myself. I'd never made pound cake before but figured Martha Stewart wouldn't steer me wrong so I took a recipe from her site. Just reading it gave me that same spidey sense the OP talks about but what did I know about pound cake?

Was that ever hopeless. Shortly after that Martha went to prison. . .

Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Was it the corn flavor/texture you hated, or the basil? Did you use dried basil or fresh? Dried basil is one of those things that to me tastes so horrible, there's no reason it should exist.
It was the corn flavor I hated. Cake isn't supposed to taste like corn - at least not in my book!

I used fresh basil by the way - from my garden. That's what the recipe called for. I love basil, the fresher the better, and it grows like crazy here so I add it to lots of stuff. That's what caught my eye about the recipe in fact. But uhhhh NO.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 PM

4,746 posts, read 7,535,549 times
I've always found that in a lot of processed "oriental" style foods, sauces, condiments, etc., it is the overwhelming flavor of ginger that ruins it. Like garlic, a little bit enhances, too much overpowers and you can't taste anything else.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 3,081,772 times
My Mom was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue and struggled to find "edible things" it was mostly the textures that turned her off. One night she had me over for dinner and made "biscuits" from a G/F mix.... My Dad, being a Texan who loved biscuits grabbed one and buttered it and took a big bite. He choked it down and asked my mom "what the heck was in that thing" so she and I tasted small bites... it was gritty like gravel - absolutely no flavor and just nasty. I think the convincing fact was when she put the leftover biscuits on the tray on the porch for the "animals" - she had a feral cat colony she fed and there were 3-4 raccoons who helped themselves too.. She and I laughed til we cried watching the 'coons, take a bite then look at that thing then look at us in the door. They wouldn't eat them either!!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,779,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So funny. This is a little off-topic, but your OP reminded me of this. A dear friend wrote out a recipe for me, that included fresh ginger root. In an aside note, she said don't be afraid to buy too much ginger, it freezes well for a later use.

Don't. Even.
I freeze fresh ginger root all the time and never have any issue. I usually chop the root into 1-2" cubes and take out just the amount I need, then thaw it in warm water for a few minutes. I'm curious to know what went wrong with your frozen ginger?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
I was starving and ate at an Ethiopian restaurant, it was some sort of bread and boiled meat.......pretty much the worst meal of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink