U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times

Advertisements

If you're just talking recipes, not necessarily ones that I made.... Many, many years ago (1970's) when "health food" cookbooks were fairly new, there was one that had a recipe for Czechoslovakian Brain Pancakes. Basically, make some pancakes. Cook up some brains with onion and other things. Add brains to pancakes.

It stuck in my mind as the worst recipe ever.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 AM

659 posts, read 139,759 times
When I was in my early 20s, I used to night hunt snakes to make some extra cash. It was about 2:00 AM when I finished and I stopped at an all night store to get something to drink. There was a factory close by that ran three shifts. The 11-7 shift was out for lunch and most were buying stuff from this store. This one guy opens a can of sardines in mustered sauce and proceeds to tear off chunks of angel food cake to dip out the sardines. I about lost it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 11:53 AM

734 posts, read 220,558 times
Once I had children, Christmas time morphed into cookie-cooking for a month, it started out with unearthing the old cookie press from cobwebs and making all those shapes from the press plates BUT over the years it turned into those cookies and 11 different other cookies from Italian friends or German friends, Hispanic friends, Armenian friends, Swedish friends and recipes from my Polish great grandmother.... Plus this one gorgeous chocolate mint cake from scratch with a mint whipped cream frosting i had once made with a girl friend for her traditional Solstice feast ... to die for!!!! and adorable 'cause i'd decorate all the way around the sides with Andes mints candies, cut diagonally, when put together, they look like little xmas trees....... everyone expected this extraganvanza, looked forward to it...... but one Christmas, I don't know why, I must have been channeling Julia Child "Hey!!!! let's make a french recipe!!!!" and i unearthed one of her cookbooks i never did a thing with, because i truly never did not like cooking if it meant 2 hours in the kitchen, LOL..... i forget what all the ingredients were, but it was supposed to turn out like a high cone (x'mas tree shaped), it was called a Croquebouche or something to that effect, it was a myriad of little puffs of pastry filled with cream and you pile up all those little puffs of pastry 'til it looks like a tree, and they are held in place with caramel and drizzled with a chocolate sauce...... OMG, don't know what the heck i did wrong with those little puffs of pastry, but they were soggy, the creme made it worse, tried to salvage it by not piling it all up into a cone shape, and it all wound up looking like a sad soup of lumps in a caramel ocean. I literally broke down over this fiasco of trying so hard to do this elaborate recipe, i hid in my bedroom, never came out convinced i was the worse cook ever...... and kinda never went there again at Christmas, bought Junior's cheesecakes for dessert instead.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:08 PM

820 posts, read 275,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Three pieces of advise to avoid my failures:

Label all spices purchased from bulk spice jars at health food stores. One epic failure was Irish soda bread. I use raisins and caraway seed in mine. One batch just didn’t taste right, it was in fact awful. Caraway and cumin seed look identical, especially in an unmarked jar.

Oh, there is a fourth. Never pour spices directly into a dish because you can eyeball the amount. Pour it in your hand first. Amazingly, larva of some insect can survive in chili powder. I’ve never trusted any dried spice since I threw out that batch of chili. They are all suspect now.
The worst failure I ever had was making a chocolate soufflé for a Thanksgiving dinner that was simultaneously burnt on the outside, raw on the inside, collappsed entirely in the middle so it looked like mud-hole, and the final indignity.. I used over a $$#!+load of expensive Grand Marnier. First, last, and only attempt.
Then I had a 'successful-failure' - you decide - when I made pancakes out of bug-infested mix.
Didn't notice any larvae so I ate them and they were delicious! .. I call them 'Jungle Pancakes'.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 PM

[quote=chiluvr1228;53000921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Was it the corn flavor/texture you hated, or the basil? Did you use dried basil or fresh? Dried basil is one of those things that to me tastes so horrible, there's no reason it should exist.[/quote]

That's how I feel about cilantro.
I consider cilantro a foul weed.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If you're just talking recipes, not necessarily ones that I made.... Many, many years ago (1970's) when "health food" cookbooks were fairly new, there was one that had a recipe for Czechoslovakian Brain Pancakes. Basically, make some pancakes. Cook up some brains with onion and other things. Add brains to pancakes.

It stuck in my mind as the worst recipe ever.
It probably meant 'bugs' instead of 'brains'.. yeah, that would've fixed it.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:45 PM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times
My MIL visited an Amish colony and brought me back a cookbook. In the miscellaneous section was a recipe for homemade pizza that called for cream of mushroom soup and hamburger.

Guess the Amish don't get out very often.

And way back when DH's mother, hearing that the young all wanted to eat pizza, bought a Chef Boy-ar-Dee mix and made hamburger pizza for the boys. She placed raw hamburger on it and DH says it was swimming in grease. They all politely ate it and later explained to mom that the meat needs to be cooked first.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I can attest to that. My dad once cooked up a huge pot full of spicy venison stew for a party of loggers and amongst many other ingredients the recipe called for chili powder. After it was cooked and served one of the guests raved about how good it was but wondered what was the name of the seasoning that was the little black dots that were floating in it. Another fellow examined the black dots closely and declared they all had six legs. They were tiny, tiny beetles. Sure enough when dad checked all the ingredients from the pantry, upon close inspection he discovered the jar of chili powder was crawling inside with little black beetles, there was more bugs than real chili.

The loggers all ate it anyway. It was cooked, it was protein, they'd eaten worse things they said, and the stew tasted good and they didn't want to waste it.

As a backcountry guide, I can attest that a few beetles, especially if they are tiny and spicy, are not going to stop me from eating an otherwise perfectly good venison stew. :-)

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,217,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
Once I had children, Christmas time morphed into cookie-cooking for a month, it started out with unearthing the old cookie press from cobwebs and making all those shapes from the press plates BUT over the years it turned into those cookies and 11 different other cookies from Italian friends or German friends, Hispanic friends, Armenian friends, Swedish friends and recipes from my Polish great grandmother.... Plus this one gorgeous chocolate mint cake from scratch with a mint whipped cream frosting i had once made with a girl friend for her traditional Solstice feast ... to die for!!!! and adorable 'cause i'd decorate all the way around the sides with Andes mints candies, cut diagonally, when put together, they look like little xmas trees....... everyone expected this extraganvanza, looked forward to it...... but one Christmas, I don't know why, I must have been channeling Julia Child "Hey!!!! let's make a french recipe!!!!" and i unearthed one of her cookbooks i never did a thing with, because i truly never did not like cooking if it meant 2 hours in the kitchen, LOL..... i forget what all the ingredients were, but it was supposed to turn out like a high cone (x'mas tree shaped), it was called a Croquebouche or something to that effect, it was a myriad of little puffs of pastry filled with cream and you pile up all those little puffs of pastry 'til it looks like a tree, and they are held in place with caramel and drizzled with a chocolate sauce...... OMG, don't know what the heck i did wrong with those little puffs of pastry, but they were soggy, the creme made it worse, tried to salvage it by not piling it all up into a cone shape, and it all wound up looking like a sad soup of lumps in a caramel ocean. I literally broke down over this fiasco of trying so hard to do this elaborate recipe, i hid in my bedroom, never came out convinced i was the worse cook ever...... and kinda never went there again at Christmas, bought Junior's cheesecakes for dessert instead.
Croquembouche is a tough dessert to make, requiring dry weather and some real kitchen skills. I've tried it twice; it was edible but not beautiful both times.

Gimme a few years to forget, and I'll probably try again.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:23 AM

6,965 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Any time I've tried to make wild duck (duck I've hunted) with a farm duck recipe, it's been pretty bad.

Wild duck can be delectable, but even a farm raised mallard compared to a wild mallard are very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink