Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Any time I've tried to make wild duck (duck I've hunted) with a farm duck recipe, it's been pretty bad.

Wild duck can be delectable, but even a farm raised mallard compared to a wild mallard are very different.
Since I imagine the difference in diet makes a difference in flavor, is it that you need to cook with a different flavor profile/seasoning or is there a significant difference in the amount of fat, which I imagine would require different cooking technique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Someone told me to try a mushroom flavored beer a couple years ago. It was utterly disgusting.
Someone told us to try a coriander beer. It was disgusting, too.

I tried microwaving some rice once, and when I looked through the door, larvae were standing up and waving back and forth.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:18 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
At 14 I was left to try my culinary skills I had learned from my home ec class. I was making my foster Dad one of his favorite desserts. Home made soft chewy fudge.
I added all the ingredients stirred heated and got the pan ready. It looked a little soupy but I figure it needed to settle. Three hours go by in the refrigerator it's still soupy! So being the brilliant culinary student I was stuck it in the freezer that evening I had a lovely dinner served. Then came my suprise dessert. My dad was so excited. Til...he said. ..darling get my ice pick our of the shed...this dessert needs a thwap! It was an epic failure from start to finish...but gosh my dad took it like a champ and added humor.
And I agree..cilantro is pugnant. Blah.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I made duck one time. Super excited. We took one bite of it and I just got up silently, picked up the platter, and threw the duck in the trash.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out why people were so excited Back In The Old Days about duck and goose for xmas dinner.

Then I figured it out - most people were starved for fats back then. Duck and goose are both basically fat enshrouded. They probably made gallons of gravy from all the pan drippings (and it had better be a very deep pan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The first time I cooked with leeks, I just chopped up the whole bunch and tossed it in. I ended up with an inedible fiberous disaster that went straight into the trash.

I’m a “more is better” with herbs and spices. I once put a whole bunch of fresh rosemary sprigs into a beef stew. More like rosemary logs. 4 hours later, I had pine tree stew. Inedible.
NONONONO! Don't be so judgmental! Just remember, as Euell Gibbons used to say, "Many parts of a pine tree ARE edible!"

[quote=chiluvr1228;53000921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Was it the corn flavor/texture you hated, or the basil? Did you use dried basil or fresh? Dried basil is one of those things that to me tastes so horrible, there's no reason it should exist.[/quote]

That's how I feel about cilantro.
I love cilantro, but dried cilantro is pretty useless. So are dried curry leaves. You might as well sweep dust up off the floor and dump it in your food. Fresh are great, but all that greatness wafts away with the moisture if you dry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I tried microwaving some rice once, and when I looked through the door, larvae were standing up and waving back and forth.
OMG the vision that brings to mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Worst morning ever. I was on a steel-cut oatmeal kick and used the last of the box for breakfast. I was ravenous and soooo looking forward to a big bowl of warm whole grain oats with all the fixins. It was the middle of winter. I finished cooking the oats and flavored them with a cube of Kerrygold butter, a glob of vanilla paste, a sprinkling of salt and finally a generous powdering of cinnamon. Except it wasn't cinnamon. It was chili powder. I considered crying but I think i just made some toast instead.

In my defense, I start work at 6 in the morning, so i'm usually not firing on all cylinders when I make breakfast.
I kid you not, the day after I posted this I was making some chicken stir fry and reached for the mirin, dumped 2 T in, and suddenly realized it didn't SMELL like mirin. It was rice wine vinegar. I covered it up with 4 drops of sucralose and a dollop of peanut butter. It tasted weird but at least it was still edible.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:50 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:

Oh, ew, ugh. The word picture you've created Sand&Salt will haunt me forever. Talk about horror.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:45 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Many moons ago, over 25 years approximately, a girl I was dating tried to impress me by cooking up a Polish dish. However she mixed up one of the main ingredients. Cabbage rolls are called cabbage rolls for a reason and lettuce looks completely different. It was torture trying to eat them without hurting her feelings. Crossed off my wife material list.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
Tried the glazed chicken tenders from McDs today...now they are disgusting! Overly sweet and cloying. Think fried chicken doused in pure honey!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Pork Belly !!!! I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get this one right. I've tried twice. The first time I ended up with a rock hard greasy brick. The second time I did EVERYTHING right and I ended up with an overly salty greasy brick. So...I'm done trying to make pork belly !

Old 09-11-2018, 01:27 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
When it comes to rousting up the odd new recipe, every once in awhile my spidey-senses tingle and I ignore them. Then I am truly sorry.

For instance, this recipe:

The Bitten Word: Chinese-Style Eggplant

calls for 4T of minced ginger. I looked at that and thought that is a LOT of ginger. But I do like ginger. So I ignored that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and followed the recipe.

Yup. I now have eggplant swimming in a stew of ginger that overcomes every other flavor that is supposed to be in that dish.

I guess it'll be pork jerky for dinner tonight.

What ginormous fails have you experienced with a new recipe?
I have often encountered a great-sounding recipe that, when I tried to make it, had a crucial ingredient completely missing -- say, a bread recipe with nothing liquid added to it to make the dry ingredients form up into a dough.

I also noticed when looking at cake mixes a few months ago that the "Pineapple Upside-Down Cake" -- marketed by a big-name manufacturer who wishes to be nameless in this post -- was simply a plain boxed yellow cake mix. It didn't include the pineapple, for instance, and it didn't have any instructions on the box about how to make the pineapple layer, along the lines of "use this much butter, this much brown sugar, and this many pineapple rings..." I guess they just figured you would know how to do the rest by magic, even though the assumption with a cake mix is that you DON'T know how to bake from scratch. I e-mailed them about it but I don't know if they fixed it.

Quote:

Signaling frantically for help, I assume?

Last edited by Cliffie; 09-11-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Made a roast years ago that wasn't done. I was having company. I was young so it was forgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink