Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times

Advertisements

When it comes to rousting up the odd new recipe, every once in awhile my spidey-senses tingle and I ignore them. Then I am truly sorry.

For instance, this recipe:

The Bitten Word: Chinese-Style Eggplant

calls for 4T of minced ginger. I looked at that and thought that is a LOT of ginger. But I do like ginger. So I ignored that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and followed the recipe.

Yup. I now have eggplant swimming in a stew of ginger that overcomes every other flavor that is supposed to be in that dish.

I guess it'll be pork jerky for dinner tonight.

What ginormous fails have you experienced with a new recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
When it comes to rousting up the odd new recipe, every once in awhile my spidey-senses tingle and I ignore them. Then I am truly sorry.

For instance, this recipe:

The Bitten Word: Chinese-Style Eggplant

calls for 4T of minced ginger. I looked at that and thought that is a LOT of ginger. But I do like ginger. So I ignored that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and followed the recipe.

Yup. I now have eggplant swimming in a stew of ginger that overcomes every other flavor that is supposed to be in that dish.

I guess it'll be pork jerky for dinner tonight.

What ginormous fails have you experienced with a new recipe?
I used to let my ex cook every so often. Up until she was making a box of mashed potatoes, read the salt ingredient wrong and poured in twice the amount of salt. I think it was about 2tsp, she put 2Tbs.

I have made some awesome yet dumb mistakes myself. For instance, I brined a whole chicken one night and then thought to make scalloped potatoes in my new pan. Well, I poured copious amounts of the brine water and, let me just say, I think I had a good idea but a really stupid moment to add brine water to anything. I usually make a brine with about 1/4c of salt in eight cups of water.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
So funny. This is a little off-topic, but your OP reminded me of this. A dear friend wrote out a recipe for me, that included fresh ginger root. In an aside note, she said don't be afraid to buy too much ginger, it freezes well for a later use.

Don't. Even.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So funny. This is a little off-topic, but your OP reminded me of this. A dear friend wrote out a recipe for me, that included fresh ginger root. In an aside note, she said don't be afraid to buy too much ginger, it freezes well for a later use.

Don't. Even.
You know I've had friends who insisted on keeping ginger this way. They said you never let it thaw, you just use a ceramic ginger grater to grate it off still frozen and dump it directly in the pan. Seems too much trouble to me even if it works, but then I've been buying the big jars of minced ginger at the Indian Grocery for decades now, LOL!

I only buy fresh if I need matchsticks or slices. More than once, I've ended up with a sprouted chunk of leftover ginger, which I then plant and get more ginger from later. In fact this is the only way I've ever been able to have baby ginger - grow it myself!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:45 PM

417 posts, read 190,915 times
Not my story, But I'll tell it anyway.

My sister was newly married and wanted to make a romantic spaghetti dinner. Her husband took one bite of it and asked what the meat was. Sausage, she said. What kind of sausage he asked. Breakfast sausage, was her reply.

They have been happily married for 35 years. He cooks.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I used to let my ex cook every so often. Up until she was making a box of mashed potatoes, read the salt ingredient wrong and poured in twice the amount of salt. I think it was about 2tsp, she put 2Tbs.
That's three times, not two.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
That's three times, not two.
Let's not be niggling nitpickers. The point was well taken. TOO MUCH SALT. Your tongue doesn't care about the exact amount.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:52 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Once I read a recipe for Brazil nut pie and made it. Seriously. It was so very bad.
Bet no one that reads this has ever eaten Brazil nut pie. Except me. One mouthful and into the trash.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 09-04-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 07:46 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Let's not be niggling nitpickers. The point was well taken. TOO MUCH SALT. Your tongue doesn't care about the exact amount.
Exactly. Neither did the dog at the time.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I made duck one time. Super excited. We took one bite of it and I just got up silently, picked up the platter, and threw the duck in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink