U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,658,165 times

Advertisements

On Sunday afternoon a monsoon storm took out the power to my freezer that is out in my shed, unbeknownst to me. I discovered it this afternoon. The worst part is that on Saturday I did a Costco run (I don't live close to one) and had it full to the brim with salmon, scallops, chicken, meatballs etc. I never spend this much on food at one time but I'm expecting some company next month.

This afternoon I found out it was not working properly when I went to add some frozen dog food that I bought. It is back up working now as my friend helped me figure out that the storm tripped the GFCI plug that is on the outside of the shed (for my golf cart) and it in turn tripped the one inside that the freezer is plugged in to.

The scallops were soft to the touch (so defrosted) but cold and the salmon was softish but the chicken was not - but I could press a finger in a feel a tiny bit of give. Do I need to throw all of this food out? Bear in mind it was in a closed freezer for about 48 hours and it was only 48 hours later that I opened it. I only *presume* it was the storm on Sunday that did this. It was working fine when I put the food in Sat. at around 5:30 pm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 AM

5,488 posts, read 6,213,096 times
I'd toss the seafood and the meatballs if they are soft to the touch. The chicken should be okay.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 AM

18,348 posts, read 18,622,561 times
Too bad you don't have a thermometer? If nothing went below 40, it's all probably good. I have had it happen and even if things thawed, I let them refreeze and haven't noticed any loss of quality

Old 09-05-2018, 06:14 AM

765 posts, read 373,341 times
No amount of food is worth getting sick over

Old 09-05-2018, 06:17 AM

69,497 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
On Sunday afternoon a monsoon storm took out the power to my freezer that is out in my shed, unbeknownst to me. I discovered it this afternoon. The worst part is that on Saturday I did a Costco run (I don't live close to one) and had it full to the brim with salmon, scallops, chicken, meatballs etc. I never spend this much on food at one time but I'm expecting some company next month.

This afternoon I found out it was not working properly when I went to add some frozen dog food that I bought. It is back up working now as my friend helped me figure out that the storm tripped the GFCI plug that is on the outside of the shed (for my golf cart) and it in turn tripped the one inside that the freezer is plugged in to.

The scallops were soft to the touch (so defrosted) but cold and the salmon was softish but the chicken was not - but I could press a finger in a feel a tiny bit of give. Do I need to throw all of this food out? Bear in mind it was in a closed freezer for about 48 hours and it was only 48 hours later that I opened it. I only *presume* it was the storm on Sunday that did this. It was working fine when I put the food in Sat. at around 5:30 pm

what a shame, and to have it sea food of all things. Something similar happened to us a few months back Our outlet got tripped somehow and I noticed as I was pulling the car out of the garage. I happened to glance over and say the freezer light was not lit. Anyway, I only threw out a couple of things. Anything that still has any part of it frozen should be just fine, anything, especially the scallops will have to go to seafood heaven. At least that is how I look at it. Others are more particular than me and will say toss, toss, toss.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM

8,117 posts, read 3,955,249 times
Always put foods like seafood and meats as deep in the freezer as possible. Put foods that don't spoil as easily (vegetables, breads, etc) or foods that won't cost as much to replace in the door or near the front.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 AM

11,790 posts, read 16,538,808 times
We had a similar problem when a snow storm took out parts of AL for days. Home insurance accepted and paid a claim. You may want to contact your carrier before tossing everything.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM

15,844 posts, read 18,536,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Call your homeowners insurance. If you have receipts that will be helpful, pics on your phone of food would likely help too.... Also...If you are in an area where a natural disaster has been declared by your Governor....go online to FEMA and there will be instructions on how to apply for damage recovery.

Personally.....I wouldn't risk the salmon or scallops since you really have no exact times when this first happened. Temp in the freezer right now may help you decide on anything that is still defrosting.

Are there any alarms that you can put on your utilities or appliances so that you'd be alerted immediately next time? Answered my own question...here is a link https://www.amazon.com/POWER-RELIANC.../dp/B018A30T8Q

Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 7,137,557 times
If the seafood and meatballs were still cold, even if soft, I would use them this week. I've never cooked seafood and then froze it again so don't know how it would work. It might be worth trying. I often cook meatballs and then freeze them.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,658,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We had a similar problem when a snow storm took out parts of AL for days. Home insurance accepted and paid a claim. You may want to contact your carrier before tossing everything.
They will but it's $500 deductible and I don't think I have over $500 worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or