U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
980 posts, read 860,856 times

Advertisements

I want to know WHEN it became 'normal' to shuck your corn IN the grocery store at the counter?? Sorry but I just don't get it. It isn't like corn husks and silk are smelly or nasty and would taint your home garbage. I see this quite often in stores now and just wonder when it started or why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,322,602 times
We're really stretching the definition of "hack" these days.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,115,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I want to know WHEN it became 'normal' to shuck your corn IN the grocery store at the counter?? Sorry but I just don't get it. It isn't like corn husks and silk are smelly or nasty and would taint your home garbage. I see this quite often in stores now and just wonder when it started or why?
i find it rude for people to start opening up individual ears of corn at the grocery store then for some reason not buying the corn and leaving dozens of half shucked ears of corn that for some reason everyone avoids.
As for this shucking hack? works great for one or two pieces but i'm shucking 2 dozen ears of corn this morning and find it takes me less than 15 seconds to shuck an ear of corn and throw it in a pot of boiling water, doing it in the microwave 6 at a time takes at least 15 minutes per half dozen and then you still have to shuck it only now the husk is hotter than hell to work with.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-09-2018 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,102,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I've seen those videos before and I don't get the whole cutting the end off thing. I just put the corn in the microwave unshucked and just shuck it when it comes out. I hold the corn with a towel wrapped around it and shuck as normal and the silk comes away with the husk. I've done that since microwaves came out decades ago. It never occurred to me to make a video of it, LOL!

The cutting off the end at the widest part is so you can just then slide the entire shuck and silk off in one move. It's much easier and generally there isn't 1 thread left on the corn.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 AM

182 posts, read 33,596 times
I was watching one of Jaques Pepin's shows and he said instead of trying to cut the corn off straight down to hold your knife at about a 45 degree angle.

I tried that last night since I had 5 ears of corn to do since I was using it in my tamale dough and as part of the filling. It WORKS. It was so easy to cut off and the kernels didn't bounce everywhere. That's the way I'll cut kernels off corn from now on.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,213,065 times
I forgot about this trick, from what I remember the cob didn't come out all that easily, perhaps I cut in the wrong place but I had to squeeze really hard. I remember bagging it for this reason.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:07 AM

1,953 posts, read 755,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The cutting off the end at the widest part is so you can just then slide the entire shuck and silk off in one move. It's much easier and generally there isn't 1 thread left on the corn.
It isn't easier, unless you have a dedicated corn guillotine to lop that end off. Plus you lose corn that way. I'm not throwing away a big chunk of corn. Plus I like my fingers right where they are - firmly attached to my hand. Because when you don't have a dedicated corn guillotine you have to cut the end off with a honkin' big knife, while trying to hold the round-rolly-burning-hot-cob-of-corn with one hand and trying to hack the end off with the other.

Way easier to shuck as normal.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
It isn't easier, unless you have a dedicated corn guillotine to lop that end off. Plus you lose corn that way. I'm not throwing away a big chunk of corn. Plus I like my fingers right where they are - firmly attached to my hand. Because when you don't have a dedicated corn guillotine you have to cut the end off with a honkin' big knife, while trying to hold the round-rolly-burning-hot-cob-of-corn with one hand and trying to hack the end off with the other.

Way easier to shuck as normal.

Then don't do it. I find it much easier and I have one heavy chef's knife, I come down in one whack and the end is off. Yeah.. there might be 20 or so kernels on it but for me, it's worth it. Common sense tells me to hold the rest of the cob with a pot holder. I've been doing it for years. Maybe it's difficult for you but don't tell me it's difficult for me because it's not, nor do I waste much corn.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:48 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,550,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Then don't do it. I find it much easier and I have one heavy chef's knife, I come down in one whack and the end is off. Yeah.. there might be 20 or so kernels on it but for me, it's worth it. Common sense tells me to hold the rest of the cob with a pot holder. I've been doing it for years. Maybe it's difficult for you but don't tell me it's difficult for me because it's not, nor do I waste much corn.
Isn't the idea to cut the bottom off before cooking? That's when I do it

Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Isn't the idea to cut the bottom off before cooking? That's when I do it

We never have. The first thing we saw that came out with doing it this way said to cut if after cooking, keeping it intact helps the steam build up a bit under the husk to do it's work. So, that's just the way we've always done it.

It might be fine before hand.. just never tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or