U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,420 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Reputation: 22633

Advertisements

I'm speaking only of the store bought red, green and yellow curry pastes....in glass jars.

what is the difference in the three? Besides color....

what ingredient is found in one but not the other two???

I like them all, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Florida
661 posts, read 140,534 times
Reputation: 1563
Simply stated, the color of the chilis used. Don't forget Massaman and jungle curry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,420 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Reputation: 22633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Simply stated, the color of the chilis used. Don't forget Massaman and jungle curry.

That's it????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Florida
661 posts, read 140,534 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That's it????
When I make red or yellow curry paste at home they both have pretty much the same ingredients except for the chilis and a couple other ingredients. The amounts may very. I make the curry pastes mild as my wife doesn't like really spicy food and add the spice to my own plate/bowl. I now have a Kaffir lime tree and grow fresh galangal so I don't substitute anymore.

Thai Red Curry Paste

Ingredients
3 oz dried New Mexico chilis, stems seeds and veins removed.

12 small hot chilis, such as arbol or Thai bird.
1 Tbsp whole corriander seed
1-1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste (available @ oriental markets) This gets double wrapped in foil, about a 2" square package.
3/4 C chopped shallots or red onion
1/2 C whole, peeled garlic cloves
1/2 Tbsp minced, fresh Kaffir lime peel or persian lime peel. I usually substitute key lime zest.
2 large stalks lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, using about the first 3" from the root end only. Cut into thin rounds.
!/2 C finely chopped, peeled fresh galangal or fresh ginger.



Thai Yellow Curry Paste

Ingredients
3 oz package California chilis, stems, seeds and veins removed
1 Tbsp whole coriander seeds, toasted and cooled
1 Tbsp whole cumin seeds, toasted and cooled
1-1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste
3 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp ground tumeric
2 stalks lemon grass, tough outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp fresh galangal or fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1/3 Cup chopped shallots or red onion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,420 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Reputation: 22633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
When I make red or yellow curry paste at home they both have pretty much the same ingredients except for the chilis and a couple other ingredients. The amounts may very. I make the curry pastes mild as my wife doesn't like really spicy food and add the spice to my own plate/bowl. I now have a Kaffir lime tree and grow fresh galangal so I don't substitute anymore.

Thai Red Curry Paste

Ingredients
3 oz dried New Mexico chilis, stems seeds and veins removed.

12 small hot chilis, such as arbol or Thai bird.
1 Tbsp whole corriander seed
1-1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste (available @ oriental markets) This gets double wrapped in foil, about a 2" square package.
3/4 C chopped shallots or red onion
1/2 C whole, peeled garlic cloves
1/2 Tbsp minced, fresh Kaffir lime peel or persian lime peel. I usually substitute key lime zest.
2 large stalks lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, using about the first 3" from the root end only. Cut into thin rounds.
!/2 C finely chopped, peeled fresh galangal or fresh ginger.



Thai Yellow Curry Paste

Ingredients
3 oz package California chilis, stems, seeds and veins removed
1 Tbsp whole coriander seeds, toasted and cooled
1 Tbsp whole cumin seeds, toasted and cooled
1-1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste
3 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp ground tumeric
2 stalks lemon grass, tough outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp fresh galangal or fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1/3 Cup chopped shallots or red onion

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
 
1,343 posts, read 1,231,791 times
Reputation: 9670
What does a comparison of the ingredients list on the containers indicate? That would be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,420 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Reputation: 22633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
What does a comparison of the ingredients list on the containers indicate? That would be a good place to start.

Hmm....don't have all three to compare....

maybe will ck at grocery next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 05:39 PM
 
574 posts, read 215,867 times
Reputation: 316
yellow originated in India and red and green come from Thailand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,127 posts, read 16,721,272 times
Reputation: 24642
Green curry has a lot of basil in it, so itís my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
7,749 posts, read 5,331,743 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
yellow originated in India and red and green come from Thailand
Yep. Basically has a significant amount of turmeric in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top