U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,993,638 times

Advertisements

After dinner, no logical reason whatsoever. it's just how it's been done all my life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:54 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I'm from the sweet corn capital.

Corn on the cob, field fresh, IS the meal.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 PM

9,863 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Was this supposed to be a poll?
Our family serves it as a side dish with the meal, most often. There have been times when we've had it prior to the dinner, like for instance, when the meat wasn't quite ready but DH was hungry.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:46 AM

756 posts, read 364,840 times
No poll. Daughter was over for dinner, and for the first time ever, she asked why I served corn at the end of the meal, and not with it. I said, that is when you should serve it, and she said with dinner.....so I said I would ask on C-D.
I agree with the poster that said, they didn`t like the look of the cob, after eating it, also I find it awkward to eat with other food.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:57 AM

659 posts, read 139,759 times
I only serve it on the cob as one of the veges in a crawfish boil. So it is part of the meal.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:14 AM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times
I have corn servers (dishes) and corn holders (the things with prongs) that both look like ears of corn. I stick the corn holders in, roll the corn in a dedicated stick of butter, and then place it in the corn server. I do this after I finish eating usually. Once I start eating an ear of corn, I don't like to stop until I'm done with it.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
After dinner.
For the longest time I always forgot to serve them, but I now do it that way on purpose because I enjoy dedicating myself completely to the task at hand. I actually treat it like a dessert-activity since I never eat sweets right after a meal. And I always eat my corn row by row plucked out with my lower incisors leaving a clean kernel hole.

People think it's weird but I think a messy cob is aesthetically ugly.
Omg this is me! I eat it that way because I never liked the way it sticks between my teeth. And I eat it after the meal, too.

However, if I am serving it to others, I do it as a side, with dinner.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:23 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,195,255 times
I will confess, I've never heard of serving corn after the main course. NTTAWWT, just never heard of it.

We always serve it with dinner. It's a veggie, and veggies are served with dinner. Like many of you, we have dedicated corn on the cob plates & cob holders. It's not a big deal to go from the main course to the corn, since it has holders. I usually take 3-4 "sessions" to eat mine.

Mmm corn on the cob!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:45 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I will confess, I've never heard of serving corn after the main course. NTTAWWT, just never heard of it.

We always serve it with dinner. It's a veggie, and veggies are served with dinner. Like many of you, we have dedicated corn on the cob plates & cob holders. It's not a big deal to go from the main course to the corn, since it has holders. I usually take 3-4 "sessions" to eat mine.

Mmm corn on the cob!
Neither have I until this thread. I don't see how someone would want to eat corn after they are already full from their meal.

90 percent of the time it is served with dinner, but my exh and I and our friends used to eat it as an appetizer, especially while waiting for food to come off a grill, and now that's how I generally have it most of the time.

OR, as Tabula Rasa said, sometimes it IS the meal. I've come back from the farm stand, gotten out the butter and salt, cooked up a couple of ears of sweet Jersey corn, sliced a ripe Jersey tomato, and that's lunch.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,838,604 times
I also have never heard of it being served after the meal. Most of the time I serve it with the meal but on occasion I serve it beforehand. When my kids were really little I always served it to them first. I'm not sure why I did that but that's just how it was done while I was growing up. I just countiued with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink