U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 PM

16,718 posts, read 20,456,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Funny, I had a conversation with a stranger about this very issue at the supermarket 2 days ago. I suggested she try selecting younger, fresh-looking leaves. The bitterness may be due to age.

If it's still too bitter to be eaten raw, perhaps it could be used in a strongly flavored soup.
This is funny, really. The last time I tasted kale, it was baby kale.

People, all of my life, have tried to convince me I'd love lamb....if only....

Now this was before I became vegan. So, it wasn't about that. i tried lamb every which way....I. Just. Don't. Like. It.

Same for kale. I. Just. Don't. Like. It.

Spinach, though....bring it on. Love it raw or cooked.

But, it's just funny how people will for some reason get obsessed about forcing you - or trying to convince you - that you will love something that you are telling them, quite honestly and forthrightly, that you just truly don't like.

I don't like kale. I really hate sushi. And yes, I've trie them multiple times in multiple ways. I just don't like them!

But, back to the subject - I do really love cilantro! I love the smell, love the taste. For me, it's a singular pleasure. Gives me great joy for really cheap :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:29 AM

3,321 posts, read 3,562,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Hmmm... Iím mystified at the basil problems, Iíve been rooting basil cuttings in a glass for years rather than buying more than one basil plant per season. I have noticed it does much better in a sunny window. At most, perhaps 1 out of 4 or 5 stems will fail to thrive and wilt instead.

Is your kitchen really dark? Are you cutting the stem on an angle?

I have not had any luck with Italian parsley with this method.
Not the plant, just the few sprigs from the grocery store.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:32 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is funny, really. The last time I tasted kale, it was baby kale.

People, all of my life, have tried to convince me I'd love lamb....if only....

Now this was before I became vegan. So, it wasn't about that. i tried lamb every which way....I. Just. Don't. Like. It.

Same for kale. I. Just. Don't. Like. It.

Spinach, though....bring it on. Love it raw or cooked.

But, it's just funny how people will for some reason get obsessed about forcing you - or trying to convince you - that you will love something that you are telling them, quite honestly and forthrightly, that you just truly don't like.

I don't like kale. I really hate sushi. And yes, I've trie them multiple times in multiple ways. I just don't like them!

But, back to the subject - I do really love cilantro! I love the smell, love the taste. For me, it's a singular pleasure. Gives me great joy for really cheap :-)
Funny how you love spinach raw yet you hate sushi or lamb. Imo, lamb's flavor across the palate of meat flavors is comparable to spinach as oppose to other leafy plants.

I find raw spinach flavor to be extra bitter than most such as the Boston Lettuce or even mustard leaf. Lamb is equally more gamey in flavor than beef but not as much as venison.

As for sushi, I find it hard to believe that someone who likes to eat raw veg to hate sushi because there are tons of veggie sushis. It is nothing more than rice and seaweed rolled with veggies. Unless the sushi in your part of the world just not up to par with traditional authentic sushi.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 752,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Cilantro is grody to the maxx and should be thrown out as soon as you get it home from the market!

You'll thank me later, believe me!
I will thank you NOW to keep your grubby little hands off my cilantro! I LOVE CILANTRO! I do not understand why folks like you think that shouldn't be allowed.

I hate kale. I'm not running around telling people who like it not to eat it.

I like cabbage (if it is curried or stir fried or turned into slaw) but there is no way broccoli or brussel sprouts would ever be acceptable to me. I mean I will eat them rather than feasting on raw human flesh, but otherwise, no. But that doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to like them. I don't get what your problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I do this with celery. Keeps forever. Cut the end off, wrap it tightly in foil. It's easy to get out just one stalk that way too.
My celery lasts "forever" just putting it in the veg bin. If it would last longer than that being wrapped in foil, I wouldn't know, because it's gone before it's bad as it is already.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 AM

20,205 posts, read 28,247,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sounds colorful - how's your palate?
Well refined, thanks for asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or