U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 02:41 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times

Advertisements

Sprouts had them on sale!
I stuffed them with brisket and baked!
Plus roasted some and chopped them up into my pimento cheese spread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Such a surprise to see this post I was just thinking about Hatch, NM yesterday morning. Now I know why.

It was just this time of year a couple of years ago when we were on a road trip of the Southwest. We had been camping in the national forest north of Silver City at some hot springs and when we came down from the mountains we headed east and ran into Hatch and stopped for lunch.

Pepper patches all around and what a unique little town. We found a honky-tonk serving hatch burgers and the place was packed. They had a live blues band playing and we listened while we waited for our burgers and vanilla shakes.

Never seen so many flies in one place in my life and it was an order to have to share lunch with them but was that lunch ever special. If we were still party folks we might have ended up spending the whole day in that place and having another burger for supper. Might never have gotten out of there. LOL

On the way out I picked up a couple of bags of roasted peppers for Chef Daughter.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:10 PM

486 posts, read 185,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ounce for ounce, yes, but Scotch bonnets and other super hot peppers are added to dishes in small quantities, like a seasoning, to make them hot.

By comparison, New Mexico chile is eaten in large quantities, often being the main ingredient itself (like a chile relleno or green chile stew, so the heat builds up.
It depends on what you are cooking with the Scotch Bonnets. It can be minced finely and added to some dishes but for soups and stews, the peppers are added whole, and cooked with the food. Care has to be taken to not have the pepper burst. Hence, it is floated on top of the food, and added midway in the cooking process. It is removed at the end.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 AM

659 posts, read 139,759 times
I don't have a chili roaster, so I set up my Weber charcoal grill with the rotisserie and basket I bought for it.

Took about 15 minutes to blister the skin so they could be peeled.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:06 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I wonder if they will taste the same. Can't imagine Vidalia onions grown outside of Vidalia would be the same.
I thought the same, but I am sure they will be just fine. We do associate certain foods with certain regions, but we also all know technology and weather can help us expand crops, as well as other things.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
These would not be considered hot to someone accustomed to eating Scotch Bonnet peppers. Probably quite mild in comparison. They do however lend themselves well to roasting.
The ones we got last year were the hottest pepper I have ever had and I don't care what you are comparing them to, they would not be considered mild. I have eaten or tasted a lot of peppers in my life. My husband thinks hot sauce should be served on ice cream I think and yet, believe me, these were hot. I have been eating Hatch chilies for years. I never tasted ones that could compare with the ones we got last year. I do realize Scotch Bonnets are about the hottest you can grow or purchase but they are not used the same way as chilies like Hatch or jalapenos are used.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-10-2018 at 05:20 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 AM

One more comment then I will shut up: You guys are making me cry: the few I saw in the store the other day: $2.99 a lb. and they didn't even look very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink