U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2018, 03:25 AM
 
Location: Florida
654 posts, read 138,994 times
Reputation: 1550

Advertisements

Tis the season, Hatch chili season that is. Last year I ordered some online. This year one of our local grocery stores brought some in, both mild and hot. I was very kind and left some for others! Today I'll be setting up the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill with the basket I bought to roast chilis in. Anyone else love Hatch chilis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,292 posts, read 1,520,426 times
Reputation: 5766
Oh, H*111 yeah! Used to go through New Mexico for fall vacation in Colorado from Oklahoma. Could smell them roasting miles away. We'd buy several large bags and freeze them. Great in pot roast, stews, beans and for making salsa verde. I just bought some at Fresh Market in Knoxville and will be roasting them tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2018, 07:54 AM
 
4,293 posts, read 6,395,292 times
Reputation: 12508
Yup, grew my own this year (Georgia), but it was a wet early summer so they didn't do so well. Oddly my Ahi (like habanero in heat) went completely nuts. Anyway, just ate the last of them a week ago in a cheddar, chili, bacon scone as part of brunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Reputation: 57020
I LOVE me some hatch chilis! We live in Texas and they hit our supermarkets - roasted, both hot and mild - this time every year. I always stock up and freeze them. My husband makes a FABULOUS pork loin soup with them - it will burn your lips off but in a good way.

I'm going to have a bowl of that soup for lunch because it's actually stormy and cool here today, which is nearly unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2018, 12:10 PM
 
1,305 posts, read 832,153 times
Reputation: 1984
I've bought hatch chilis in the past from Sprouts to make chili and egg casserole, and the chilis were so HOT!

Now I'm reading they come in a mild flavor too??? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
 
9,273 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Reputation: 7541
Love them, just put some in the freezer for later use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Tis the season, Hatch chili season that is. Last year I ordered some online. This year one of our local grocery stores brought some in, both mild and hot. I was very kind and left some for others! Today I'll be setting up the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill with the basket I bought to roast chilis in. Anyone else love Hatch chilis?
Living 7 years in NM we got addicted to them and used to buy them already roasted from the super markets. They were cheap, good and very easy to use in so many ways. Since moving to AR we have purchased them a few years from one of our local markets but we have had to roast them ourselves. Last year one of the markets did the roasting. Because we are lovers of very hot, hot, we choose the hot ones. Well, the guy told me they were extremely hot but I blew him off. What does a guy living in NWA know about really hot. long story, short $15 worth of hath chili went into the trash. He knew more than big mouth here knew.

This year we didn't get as many in the stores and they were out of sight price wise. Luckily a good friend just gave us 3 large cans because we keep her well stocked with canned goods we have preserved including salsa. I used part of a can to make pinto bean soup last week. I will freeze the rest of the can. At least we have enough Hatch chilies to last til next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Florida
654 posts, read 138,994 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Yup, grew my own this year (Georgia), but it was a wet early summer so they didn't do so well. Oddly my Ahi (like habanero in heat) went completely nuts. Anyway, just ate the last of them a week ago in a cheddar, chili, bacon scone as part of brunch.
I wonder if they will taste the same. Can't imagine Vidalia onions grown outside of Vidalia would be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Florida
654 posts, read 138,994 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Living 7 years in NM we got addicted to them and used to buy them already roasted from the super markets. They were cheap, good and very easy to use in so many ways. Since moving to AR we have purchased them a few years from one of our local markets but we have had to roast them ourselves. Last year one of the markets did the roasting. Because we are lovers of very hot, hot, we choose the hot ones. Well, the guy told me they were extremely hot but I blew him off. What does a guy living in NWA know about really hot. long story, short $15 worth of hath chili went into the trash. He knew more than big mouth here knew.

This year we didn't get as many in the stores and they were out of sight price wise. Luckily a good friend just gave us 3 large cans because we keep her well stocked with canned goods we have preserved including salsa. I used part of a can to make pinto bean soup last week. I will freeze the rest of the can. At least we have enough Hatch chilies to last til next year.
I bought 5 lbs of hot last year, had to use them sparingly in my homemade salsa. The ones I bought here were $1.29 LB, both hot and mild. The mild are pushing my wife's tolerance level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Reputation: 26822
I had a legal dispute I was handling in Albuquerque some years ago. I had to fly out with a client frequently for meetings, depositions and court hearings. Before we left, we would go to Salvation Army/Goodwill and buy all the suitcases. then we would buy roasted hatch peppers and fill the suitcases with them. (This was before they charged for the first two bags). The client representative and his family would make the best Tamales with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top