U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:20 PM

8,911 posts, read 4,847,166 times

Advertisements

Now there is a question, how far past the expiration (best by) is too far?

I need to get back in the habit of marking the month and year on the cans when I buy them.

Tell us, please, about this bad stuff in the Bisquick. Does it apply to flour as well? Usually, around here, Bisquick doesn't stand around for too long because it is only used for camp outs and then, it is bought fresh. As the stuff that comes back, it is destined to be used in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 PM

1,376 posts, read 662,485 times
The shelves in my pantry are one-item deep, so nothing gets hidden, and I can see everything easily. I just checked, and nothing is out of date, but I do see that I need to buy more AA batteries, only have 4 left in stock.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,327,481 times
I have three pantries. The one in my kitchen I go through a couple times a month, so nothing gets of out date in there. My larger, basement pantry I tend to forget to check before I go shopping. I really need to fix that. The third one my college kids use and I never check it.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,521,260 times
I tend to distribute mine in certain strategic cupboards since I do not have a typical built in pantry. I do have a separate small one 15 x 17 x 57 inches, which I bought and keep in an adjacent room which I use for items like Cereal, extra teas, spices, and dry noodles.

I do rotate new purchase items to back of shelves when I buy and figured out it is more efficient to keep a certain element of empty shelf to enable easy rotation without having to do full unload and then re-shelve. Think of that old child's game with the 15 squares in a 16 square grid and you had to slide them around and reconstruct some image. That 1/16 of emptiness per shelf enables easier inventory control.

I have a large island in kitchen which becomes a long shelf life items storage pantry (canned fish, soups, jerky, etc) along with the oversized cooking or odd sized kitchen utensil items.

I'm surprised no builders (or maybe perhaps they have) have designed two sided pantries to alleviate the "old inventory issue". I had the idea in teen years when my parents refrigerator broke during winter. Our pantry backup to the attached garage.

If I was designing homes I would place pantry with its back side to a service / lav / laundry work area with a counter whereby you could slide open and put new items into the back side (like a freezer set up in a grocery store) and then have the front side be the kitchen area. Wouldn't be that difficult and would probably make a nice kitchen feature provided the kitchen has enough linear surface area. The counter could double as laundry folding area or have it fold down out of wall like the old ironing boards.

Being organized and knowing ones inventory saves money in long term.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:37 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,041,895 times
My current house has a pantry right in the kitchen--it looks like a coat closet, about 3 feet wide and probably 2.5 feet deep.

When my sister and I first moved in, things were constantly jumbled and shifted around and getting lost--I know at one point we had five jars of cinnamon, because we could never find it, so we'd end up buying some (and of course, once we did that, we found the elusive jars).

Something I did that helped was I bought an over-the-door spice rack, and we moved all the spices into it. And that made *all* the difference. With all the spices in a rack, it was much easier to organize the shelves themselves. So now items on the shelves are more easily visible and we can see more 'at a glance' what we have.

I think something else that helps is that my sister and I both do a lot of cooking with fresh ingredients (we both try to do the 'shop on the edges of the grocery store instead of the middle' thing), as much as possible, so quite a bit of what we buy gets bought, taken home, and turned into meals almost immediately (which then get divided up and frozen for eating throughout the week.) So most of the items in the pantry now are the aforementioned spices, olive oil, vinegar, various cooking wines/other liquids, some dry goods (pasta, beans, flour, for example.) We also keep our breads in there. And we're both in there pretty much every day getting ingredients to cook our breakfasts in the mornings and dinners at night, so stuff gets rotated out fairly well. We might stumble upon the odd thing that somehow got missed, but it's pretty rare for that to happen now.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:22 PM

21,028 posts, read 25,842,934 times
This new house has a fairly small pantry, but it is definately better than nothing.

I've got paper products on the floor and the great big pots, like the tamale pot and the crab steaming pot on the top shelf ( where I can see them, but not reach them.)

Food is easy to organize because I don't buy food that I don't use. Canned food in one area, pickles and salad toppings next to that. Baking products all in their place, and so on.

In the last house, I had lots of appliances in the pantry. They won't fit here, so they are going to have to go onto shelves in the garage.

I don't have any food in my kitchen, except for a small holder for my seasonings I use almost daily. Other spices have their place in the pantry. Kitchen cabinets are full of cooking utensils, pots and pans, casseroles, etc.

Oh, wait.... there are dog treats next to the stove, if you want to count that as food.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 PM

21,028 posts, read 25,842,934 times
I say I only buy foods I use, but that isn't entirely true. We have a store that sells close dated food, stock overruns, and weird stuff that hasn't sold well. I will sometimes buy the weird stuff. But I take that home and try it immediately. If it is delicious it will sell out fast, so I need to know if I have to rush back and stock up.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
My pantry is a closet with one door. I have a spice rack with 8 shelves on the inside of the pantry door. I don't have anything expired in my pantry, and I don't have anything that I'm not going to use.

If I hear about a neighbor or acquaintance who is short on food, I go through the pantry and pull out anything we're not going to use soon and anything I have a large supply of. That happens several times a year.

Flour, cornmeal, and oatmeal will attract bugs if they're kept too long. Baking mix probably will too...I don't use any mixes.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM

15,703 posts, read 8,787,561 times
Feeling pretty good right now. Pantry cleaned, organized, and inventoried as part of my autumn house cleaning/organizing goals. I also cleaned out all the cabinets, wiped them down, and set aside things to be donated. It took longer than I thought it would, but I was very thorough. Tomorrow, I tackle the fridge!

Old 09-10-2018, 06:14 PM

11,743 posts, read 16,486,419 times
I do not hoard unless it has a turquoise attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink