U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,296,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This one -- quick vinegar wash - always works for me on strawberries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Put numbing gel on them?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,296,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Put numbing gel on them?
Ugh -- no.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:59 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
You can't buy your raspberries on a day closer to Sunday? I have found they will not last more than a few days. Ditto for strawberries. I have had better luck with blueberries and even blackberries these days. I buy a lot of berries since I have at least two different ones in my cereal most mornings.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:23 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
^^ Thanks everyone.
chiluvr, in my case I buy the fruit - straw- blue-, black-, and raspberries on Tuesday, and use them for lunch, each day Wed-Sunday.

I have no trouble at all with the blueberries lasting even longer than a week.
IF I pick through the pints and containers at the grocery store and get a good pack, I have no trouble with the strawberries or blackberries lasting that long. But the raspberries, oh, the delicate raspberries...sometimes one or two are mushy IN the container when I buy them on Tuesday. And many times they start going bad by Friday. I think I've had only one or two containers where NONE of the berries were bad by Sunday. Many times I lose at least 5-6 berries, sometimes I'd say almost half of them. And they come in about a half-pint container, not even a pint.

I know raspberries are some of the most fragile and perishable berries. I just thought I'd ask about getting them to last longer. I'll keep doing what I' doing: separating them, perhaps freezing them -- I'll have to see how that changes the texture tough. These aren't for smoothies. They're for eating in a bowl with cinnamon, so I don't want them mushy due to ice crystals.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:28 AM

161 posts, read 73,264 times
I would assume anything valid on preserving raspberries would also apply to blueberries and black berries. Just wonderin'.

Have no idea where to find them, but I have heard it argued that the best tasting berries would be any of the above that also are found growing wild. Commercially farmed products often focus on what can be grown in bulk, not the best tasting and/or nutritional varieties. Cardinal example: iceberg lettuce (yuke) vs. leafy green lettuce.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
When I have space in my freezer, I wash the berries, dry them on a paper towel, then put them in a freezer bag as a single layer, on a tray. It takes up a lot of space but the berries can then be used for decoration, or cooking...not just eating as if it were fresh.
If you single layer them on a tray and stick in the freezer a few hours you can then throw them all in freezer bags and they'll stay separate.
I do the same with bliueberries

Old 09-11-2018, 12:24 PM

278 posts, read 120,585 times
Rather than buy fresh berries and freezing them, why not just buy frozen berries? I usually add the berries to plain yogurt to flavor/sweeten it without all the crap they add to already flavored yogurt. For that I actually like the frozen berries, as you get some juice to mix in when they thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink