U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:12 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any tips on how to get raspberries to last longer....like -- 5-6 days?

-- Where to store them in the frig? I put mine in the crisper.
-- "Green bags?"

Or is getting them to last fresh in the frig that long a lost cause?
Sometimes half the berries are no good by Sunday.

I buy my berries on Tuesday -- and need them to last until the coming Sunday. I use some each day for lunch.
By the time Saturday comes I'm already losing some to mushiness. At 4.99 a 1/2 pint that's a lot of money in the garbage. By Sunday, sometimes all that are left are bad.

I suppose I could freeze them and just thaw the number I need for each day?
Blueberries and most times strawberries I have no issues with lasting a week or more. Blackberries are second to raspberries in going bad the fastest.

Also have you found that many times berries look bad at the store before you even buy them.
I find that even for strawberries many times I'm looking and looking and sorting through the containers to find a good container where some berries are not crushed of molded or looking "less than ideal." Blackberries also it seems you have to look through the pints to find "good ones."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM

17,326 posts, read 3,528,493 times
You are so right about raspberries....just a few days and that's it. You certainly can freeze them while still fresh....

This is how I freeze berries....

On a cookie sheet spread them out so they are in one layer. Place in freezer til frozen. Then, place in ziplock bag. Take out as many or as few as you want each day, since they are individually frozen.....they'll be thawed by your lunchtime.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 PM

22,693 posts, read 21,741,083 times
It works.

This Simple Trick Keeps Fresh Berries Fresher for Longer | Allrecipes

Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 AM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I do not wash them until I get ready to use them. Keep them separated, that is, shake them in the container, or flip the container. The mold seems to form on the lower berries that don’t have air circulating around them.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
I'm a commercial Raspberry grower.

One week is MAX on very firm berries (hand picked on a cool morning)

Raspberries are not gonna handle that salad spinner option real well!

I use the 'cookie sheet in the freezer' method for my own keepers.

Commercially they are 'flash frozen' (via cryogenic tunnel freezer while on a conveyor belt.)
https://www.gasworld.com/an-introduc...s/5069.article

DIY
https://www.stockpilingmoms.com/how-...h-freeze-food/

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM

486 posts, read 185,351 times
When I have space in my freezer, I wash the berries, dry them on a paper towel, then put them in a freezer bag as a single layer, on a tray. It takes up a lot of space but the berries can then be used for decoration, or cooking...not just eating as if it were fresh.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,098,597 times
Like gentlearts mentioned... never wash any berries with a 'bloom' (the white powdery looking coating) ahead of time. That bloom helps to keep them fresh a bit longer. If you wash ahead of time you're hastening their demise.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM

17,326 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm a commercial Raspberry grower.

One week is MAX on very firm berries (hand picked on a cool morning)

Raspberries are not gonna handle that salad spinner option real well!

I use the 'cookie sheet in the freezer' method for my own keepers.

Commercially they are 'flash frozen' (via cryogenic tunnel freezer while on a conveyor belt.)
https://www.gasworld.com/an-introduc...s/5069.article

DIY
https://www.stockpilingmoms.com/how-...h-freeze-food/

Interesting employment!!

Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
I do some of all of this ideas....lately I've been separating the berries into multiple containers, so they're only one layer deep. That takes up a lot of frig space but....what you gonna do?

I guess I'll start putting some in the freezer (spaced out).

Some weeks I don't even buy raspberries because all the packs look bad.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 PM

5,496 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Apart from freezing them, I can only suggest that you lower your expectations about how long they are going to last. Instead of trying to make them last longer, eat more on the the first few days after you buy them--so that they're gone before they go bad. It's certainly a shame to throw some of them out.

Also, where are the berries coming from? If they're not local, you might try finding local ones which will be fresher and last longer. If they're out of season locally, that means they are coming from far away and you would be better off with some other fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink