Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wow George, what awesome memories you have...!

Sounds fascinating and delicious too. She left her cooking mark on you, as you frequent cooking threads with good advice.

Maybe you really SHOULD think of writing....

That reminds me....one of the grandchildren had our grandmother's special recipes made into a homemade booklet for each of us....I really treasure having them.
I agree! Write on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Basic recipes with lots of alternatives. I hate long involved recipes to try first. Let me master the gist of one and then add steps or other ingrediens.

Or, kitchen shortcuts.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think I would try to write 2: one entitled recipes from the past and gear it to the old favorites from my family that is why I love buying cook books from church gatherings and places like that so much,.

The other would be 'Gourmet meals made for today's cook" It would contain alternative ways to prepare foods we have always thought were too involved and only for those who consider themselves top of the line cooks. How about a simple Hollandaise sauce or stuffed salmon.

Oh, a third one I would love to play with would be a good book on canning with new and unusual recipes. Like later this week I am doing pickled radishes and not the recipes you wee on the net. I suppose my canning is the one thing I love to spend in the kitchen doing the most.

I used to love canning too...the only book with recipes I had was Ortho's Canning. Tried about every recipe they offered.

You could write a better one with more recipes....

Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I'd write one that focused on delicious food with only 3 ingredients (water and spices don't count).

example:

Cheesecake

1 cup sugar
5 eggs
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese

Mix, bake, and enjoy.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:15 PM

339 posts, read 777,415 times
My cookbook would be "1001 Ways To Serve Bacon".

Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
I have two - sweet and savory. SO actually bought me a bound book with heavy paper and lined pages last week as I do not seem to get it done in Word.

Eons ago I was responsible for interns. Interns on tight schedules as being on the German cross country team was their main focus. They created a Christmas Cookie book, unwillingly learned to use what back then was newish technology, talked to mothers and grandmothers, learned to type, proof and bind. All skills required and translatable to their internship tests. Those books are still around)))

Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'd write one that focused on delicious food with only 3 ingredients (water and spices don't count).

example:

Cheesecake

1 cup sugar
5 eggs
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese

Mix, bake, and enjoy.

Oh yes! Less ingredients the better, on some days!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I have two - sweet and savory. SO actually bought me a bound book with heavy paper and lined pages last week as I do not seem to get it done in Word.

Eons ago I was responsible for interns. Interns on tight schedules as being on the German cross country team was their main focus. They created a Christmas Cookie book, unwillingly learned to use what back then was newish technology, talked to mothers and grandmothers, learned to type, proof and bind. All skills required and translatable to their internship tests. Those books are still around)))

Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I would like to write several, but really, there are so many cookbooks and blogs and cooking websites already. I don't need to see my name in print that badly. I would like to write one one about truly easy entertaining. Not the kind of book that's called Easy Entertaining and then you look through and realize it's not that simple at all. I mean the kind of entertaining where you can work all day, come home and work around a toddler and still serve a delicious home made dinner to your friends. How you can take an ordinary menu and make it special by adding a homemade condiment or relish, or maybe roasted grapes or pickled blueberries or homemade fresh pickles or hot honey. What to splurge on and what not to.

I would like to write a cook book to all my coming of age kids, nieces, nephews and friend's kids who are getting ready to be on their own.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I have a hand written cookbook that belonged to one of my great aunts, who lived her life on the coast near Machias, ME. I have fond memories of her kitchen with the wood-burning cookstove and meals around the table looking out over Holmes Bay with the lighthouse flashing at night. This 'cookbook' is around 100 years old, the pages are fragile and crumbling, and the ink is fading. I have been trying to [carefully] go through it and transcribe recipes...someday, I'd like to publish it...

(And I'd *really* like to find her recipe for pickled crabapples, which accompanied the beans on Saturday nights, but I haven't run across it yet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink