U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM

10,455 posts, read 4,103,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
For those commenting on the sodium content--well aware of it and buy the lowered sodium soups. We rarely eat it, but I keep it around for when one of us is sick or just needs a quick lunch. This can has been in the pantry for months.
If you keep your sodium intake relatively low by not eating out very much and watching how much salt you add to your own cooking, then a can of Progresso soup isn't going to hurt. Your body needs some salt in order to function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM

10,165 posts, read 16,739,222 times
I'm not that fond of canned soups, but I do keep a couple in the pantry for emergencies.

My add ins are lots of fresh ground pepper, maybe red chiles, sometimes a squeeze of lemon or squirt of vinegar.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 PM

470 posts, read 227,140 times
Rice, pasta, noodles, served over a baked potato, jalapeno, sour cream, salsa, diced avocado, dollop of guac, leftover veggies, sautéed onions, mushrooms, garlic, hot sauce. Any leftover bits of protein, like shrimp, sausage, bacon etc. Basically anything that there is a bit of and seems compatible.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 PM

298 posts, read 69,174 times
Often I will add things to Ramen noodles such as cheese, beaten egg, or cook, drain then stir fry with other things. Little did I know I was making prison treats

https://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/ar.../recipe/prison

Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 PM

8,234 posts, read 8,512,384 times
I don't add to soup to "kick it up." I add to soup to make it more nutritious. Most often carrots, or cabbage, but sometimes other things.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 PM

51,344 posts, read 50,591,986 times
LOL, I think the OP created the thread for people who DO used canned soups.

I add sauteed mushroom and onions to Progresso New England Clam Chowder. Someone else I know adds that AND the fake crabmeat/pollock to make it into a thicker seafood stew.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 PM

51,344 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
To Progresso tomato, I might add chopped tomatoes, spicy V8 or hot sauce and either cooked rice or pasta. Like it spicy. Salsa would work too. Add in bits of vegetable leftovers...
I wanted to like Progresso tomato, but it is just too sweet. They could cut the sugar content in half and it would taste better.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I add sauteed mushroom and onions to Progresso New England Clam Chowder. Someone else I know adds that AND the fake crabmeat/pollock to make it into a thicker seafood stew.
I used to work at a seafood restaurant (and it was a local's place with mostly fresh food, not a chain), and they used huge cans of clam chowder and added a bunch of stuff to it. People RAVED about it. I worked there for a couple of years and never once heard a complaint about it.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's a cool, rainy day so I opened a can of Progresso Chicken Noodle soup for lunch. I also made some fresh salsa over the weekend. Since there was a small bit of that left I poured some of the juice into the soup and a bit of the salsa. It made the ordinary canned soup into a great lunch. I can't believe I've never thought about adding stuff to canned soup before

What do you add to canned soups that kicks it up?
Good idea. I haven't tried that but, like most I do add lots of items to things like store purchased pizza and even to sandwiches that are previously prepared. Not that I buy sandwiches already made very often, maybe like once a year or so.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM

34,622 posts, read 42,779,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I do this too. Snows Clam Chowder with an extra can of clams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink