U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM

2,965 posts, read 1,364,782 times

Advertisements

Velvetta again.
You can use it to catch fish and crabs in your flooded basement or yard.
Then you can render the fat out to fry your catch. The milk and soy proteins you can feed chum for fish or feed the hungry fish in your basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 PM

3,013 posts, read 1,820,790 times
So many great ideas here! Thanks so much. I tried to rep everyone, but I had already repped a couple of y'all before.

I LOVE the pasta salad idea and the antipasto salad ideas. I'm going to try to get the stuff for those tomorrow, and that's all stuff that probably won't be completely sold out.

The stores were sold out of so much stuff y'all...I was only able to get two cans of chicken, no tuna or fish or canned meats or anything left. No beanie weanies, no Chef Boyardee, no canned chili or beef stew, no peanut butter, no bread...

So I like all of the out of the box ideas! The manager at one store said they're supposed to be getting a truck in with some stuff tomorrow, so I'm going to go in the morning and see what I'm going to get. I now have lots of new ideas on my list from this thread, too, and some of it's stuff that I'm thinking (hoping?) might not be sold out.

We definitely have too much junk food (my husband is a junk food junkie...) and need more protein stuff. Sigh.

There are two of us. Right now, as far as non-perishables go, we have:
-2 cases of bottled water (32 bottles in each case)
-2 cans of chicken
-1.5 boxes of granola bars
-3 boxes of pop-tarts
-Box of graham crackers
-Box of Ritz crackers
-Part of a jar of peanut butter
-Pack of chocolate chip cookies
-Bag of Doritos
-10 packs of ramen noodles (hard to cook without hot water though, I guess they'd "cook" eventually if left to soak in water?)
-1 can of black beans
-4 cans of corn
-3 cans of green beans
-3 cans of peas
-1 can of mixed vegetables
-1 can of seasoned butter beans
-1 can of succotash

Old 09-11-2018, 11:41 PM

7,141 posts, read 2,232,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can get -- for the next storm, not this one, obviously -- a 1-burner butane camp stove for about 16-20 dollars. Great to have on hand.
I thought that was a good idea, having one of those little, single-burner stoves for emergencies. I had 8 small canisters of gas for them, kept in my storage shed. Then, our neighborhood serial arsonist torched my shed and those canisters blew up, one at a time and intensified the fire and damage. I'd never store them in a house or garage.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 AM

4,822 posts, read 1,559,649 times
Also, what most people do not realize, is that opened mayonnaise CAN be left unrefrigerated as long as it is uncontaminated, in the original container. If it it mixed with something it has to be refrigerated.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:49 AM

11,090 posts, read 11,498,563 times
Most condiments do not require refrigeration. Kechup, mustard, pickles.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 AM

11,090 posts, read 11,498,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So many great ideas here! Thanks so much. I tried to rep everyone, but I had already repped a couple of y'all before.

I LOVE the pasta salad idea and the antipasto salad ideas. I'm going to try to get the stuff for those tomorrow, and that's all stuff that probably won't be completely sold out.

The stores were sold out of so much stuff y'all...I was only able to get two cans of chicken, no tuna or fish or canned meats or anything left. No beanie weanies, no Chef Boyardee, no canned chili or beef stew, no peanut butter, no bread...

So I like all of the out of the box ideas! The manager at one store said they're supposed to be getting a truck in with some stuff tomorrow, so I'm going to go in the morning and see what I'm going to get. I now have lots of new ideas on my list from this thread, too, and some of it's stuff that I'm thinking (hoping?) might not be sold out.

We definitely have too much junk food (my husband is a junk food junkie...) and need more protein stuff. Sigh.

There are two of us. Right now, as far as non-perishables go, we have:
-2 cases of bottled water (32 bottles in each case)
-2 cans of chicken
-1.5 boxes of granola bars
-3 boxes of pop-tarts
-Box of graham crackers
-Box of Ritz crackers
-Part of a jar of peanut butter
-Pack of chocolate chip cookies
-Bag of Doritos
-10 packs of ramen noodles (hard to cook without hot water though, I guess they'd "cook" eventually if left to soak in water?)
-1 can of black beans
-4 cans of corn
-3 cans of green beans
-3 cans of peas
-1 can of mixed vegetables
-1 can of seasoned butter beans
-1 can of succotash
I'm a little surprised that you don't seem to keep any groceries on hand. Do you normally eat all your meals at restaurants? In bad weather, my wife and I can easily go a couple of weeks without going to town, a month if we get creative. One wall of the garage is lined with shelves of canned goods.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM

879 posts, read 933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can get -- for the next storm, not this one, obviously -- a 1-burner butane camp stove for about 16-20 dollars. Great to have on hand.
As no one else has mentioned it, am I the only person here who owns a grill? Year round I keep two tanks for my propane grill (which also has a side burner), along with a couple bags of lump charcoal for my ceramic egg grill. It's never occurred to me to be worried about heating food or boiling water if the power goes out.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM

33,059 posts, read 12,565,295 times
Wine

Bread

Cheese

Apples

Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm a little surprised that you don't seem to keep any groceries on hand. Do you normally eat all your meals at restaurants? In bad weather, my wife and I can easily go a couple of weeks without going to town, a month if we get creative. One wall of the garage is lined with shelves of canned goods.
It has been hot this summer, and we have been keeping our meals really simple. I have been going in and grabbing things like 2 steaks, 2 potatoes, a couple ears of corn and a premade salad in the deli section for a dinner, for example.

We did already have the canned veggies. I also tend to stock up more on groceries when it's cooler out and I'm making more soups, stews, casseroles and whatnot.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
As no one else has mentioned it, am I the only person here who owns a grill? Year round I keep two tanks for my propane grill (which also has a side burner), along with a couple bags of lump charcoal for my ceramic egg grill. It's never occurred to me to be worried about heating food or boiling water if the power goes out.
We have a charcoal grill but don't have a covered place to use it. This storm is supposed to move slow and linger for days, so not sure how conditions will be for grilling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or