U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get ideas for hurricane foods to buy tomorrow, but I think this could be an interesting challenge anyway.

My idea is beanie weanies.

(Also, I know "tastes good" is relative when we're talking about canned goods, but y'all know what I mean...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,022,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm trying to get ideas for hurricane foods to buy tomorrow, but I think this could be an interesting challenge anyway.

My idea is beanie weanies.

(Also, I know "tastes good" is relative when we're talking about canned goods, but y'all know what I mean...)
Green beans
Cranberry sauce
Applesauce
Mandarin oranges
Fruit cocktail
Corn
Soups
Tuna
Sardines
Oysters
Foil packaged foods: tunas, salmon, Indian entrees, Mac n cheese, etc.

Just walk down the grocery store canned food aisles and your favorites will jump out at you.

Thanks for the thread. I think I will do this just as an exercise.

Good luck and I hope you wont need to do this shopping, but its always good to be prepared.

Be safe!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:24 PM

51,218 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Tuna or salmon, black beans, fruit

Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Anything that you might find used as a salad bar topping...kidney beans, garbanzos, black beans.

Any and all potted meats, though "tastes good" is subjective. I could ride out some power outages with cans of Underwood deviled ham on crackers if I had to.

I would also go with the same types of shelf-stable stuff I keep in a go bag in my car, for when I'm out and about with children and anybody (including me) gets hangry. Nuts, trail mix/snack mix, wasabi peas, banana chips, yogurt covered raisins, etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Another vote for tuna.

My family loves the Croatian potted pts, and the chicken spread by the Underwood Devil.

Corn niblets are ok right out of the can if you're in the mood.

Costco sells plastic sleeve-type pouches of Indian curries areound here, mostly vegetarian, that are not bad at room temp.

Fruits like cling peaches, morello cherries, mandarin orange segments, pineapple rings, etc. are nice for canned foods too.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Anything that you might find used as a salad bar topping...kidney beans, garbanzos, black beans.
This is a great rule of thumb!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

My family loves the Croatian potted pts
Good call. We used to get Croatian and Polish ones often at an ethnic market near our house when we were stationed at Naval Station Great Lakes. They are nice to have on hand.

Quote:
Costco sells plastic sleeve-type pouches of Indian curries areound here, mostly vegetarian, that are not bad at room temp.
We keep a lot of these on hand...the Tasty Bites brand...Madras lentils, etc. I guess they'd be okay not warmed. They also make (as does Uncle Ben) already-cooked, shelf-stable rice in similar pouches. Those would be alright to eat not warmed up, if you had to.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM

675 posts, read 209,655 times
Yes tuna, also canned chicken pieces, deviled ham spread , and Hormel chili.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,346,132 times
Velvetta. Water resistant, too.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 PM

106 posts, read 132,446 times
Peanut butter and jelly, laughing cow cheese, bagels, raisin bread, pop tarts, canned ravioli or ravioli in microwave containers if you hate that canned taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or