Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 769 times

Advertisements

I’ve seen this video in Buzzfeed about different dumplings in the world and it’s pretty interesting I personally love dumplings especially when eating my noodles. I love soup dumplings, gyoza, and especially empanada. Not that I’m biased but Peru ladies sure can whip up a good crunchy empanada. Can’t make up my mind which one taste best, though. So out of curiosity I want to ask people of the internet which dumpling taste best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:23 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
Kartoffelklosse for me.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:29 AM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
Comparing food in general is kinda weird, but I really don't see how you compare soup noodles and empanadas :-/ That's like saying which sandwich is best, ham and cheese or a pepperoni pizza? Yeah, they both have pork, and cheese, and "bread", but they are vastly different dishes.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I always liked the dumplings Mom would toss into chicken soup/stew. looks like this =
https://goo.gl/images/T1X7nM

Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I haven't made chicken and dumplings in years, but if I were to do so today, I would use Lucinda Scala Quinn's recipe from her Mad Hungry cookbooks and website. I like her food in general.

Lucinda's Chicken and Dumplings - Mad Hungry : Mad Hungry

Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Oh how I like dumplings,savory or sweet.I still remember mother making always from scratch potato dumplings with a little piece of bacon and bread in it.Liver dumplings with parsley,marjoram and onions.All these were served in soups,as side dishes to a Sauerbraten,roast or to mushroom sauce.
I still make potato dumplings with Chanterelle mushrooms.As well apple,apricot,cherry or Italian plum dumplings served with browned butter and cinnamon sugar.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Oh how I like dumplings,savory or sweet.I still remember mother making always from scratch potato dumplings with a little piece of bacon and bread in it.Liver dumplings with parsley,marjoram and onions.All these were served in soups,as side dishes to a Sauerbraten,roast or to mushroom sauce.
I still make potato dumplings with Chanterelle mushrooms.

As well apple,apricot,cherry or Italian plum dumplings served with browned butter and cinnamon sugar.

Ohhh...sweet ones, yum!

The only ones I've made are chicken & dumplings

Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
DH likes dumplings in rhubarb sauce and waits all year for them. The recipe is his mother's who is first generation Norwegian-American. I'd never heard of them before. I've added vanilla and nutmeg to the recipe.

I make the ones like jambo references and put them in chicken or other kinds of stew. Flour and egg based. It's my understanding that a light dumpling is the signature of a good cook but I don't make them very light. Mine are stick-to-the-ribs firm and chewy.

It's getting to be that time. . .

Does spaetzle count? I've learned to love them living here in a German influenced town.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I love all the dumplings of the world.

My two favorite: the homemade pierogies my family makes for holidays and some homemade Chinese dumplings my daughter's mother-in-law and aunt made for us. Both women were born in China and cook real Chinese food almost exclusively.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Light, fluffy, steamed dumplings cooked on top of the soup/stew.

I'll never forget ordering "chicken and dumplings" at a restaurant down south, and being served chicken with large, slimy thick noodles. YUCK!! Those are NOT dumplings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink