U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,021,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
slightly ot - but interesting story, related to me by a retired er nurse. She was talking with a homeless guy, who told her his method for getting people to donate money to him. He would buy a can of dog food and a can of dinty moore beef stew. He would dump out the contents of the dog food can, rinse it, and then put the dinty moore in the dog food can. We would then sit outside the grocery store, eating the "dog food".
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:30 PM

133 posts, read 49,885 times
Not Dinty Moore, but back in college we had a Taiwanese student who would make Cup O Noodles and top it off with
canned eel. I guess canned eel is as popular there as canned tuna is here. ( The only time I ever buy canned tuna
is to treat my cat on her birthday).

That Taiwanese student is now the father of my son. Don't get me started on how much I hate "Stinky Tofu".
Son's father and his mother opened a can of that and I could not go inside the house for hours afterward,
the smell was unfathomable.

There are so many better choices out there than processed canned food. Try to prepare something fresh or
defrosted. Your body needs fiber and fiber only comes from plant based sources such as corn and beans.
Processing and canning vegetables destroys much of the fiber but some beans seem to maintain fiber after
being canned.

I doubt there is much nutritional value in a can of Dinty Moore beef stew.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 PM

2,569 posts, read 725,377 times
I have eaten a few times in the past and it always gave me terrible heartburn. It's ridiculously high in calories and fat and no doubt a high carb food which I try to avoid.

I wouldn't mind having some if I was in a situation where I needed it for survival.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 PM

4,932 posts, read 2,562,297 times
I can't even imagine eating canned meat. Besides the taste the sodium content in canned/processed food is always off the chart. Dinty Moore--984 mg of sodium

Old 09-12-2018, 01:06 AM

15,068 posts, read 17,031,032 times
IMO, it tasted better about twenty years ago. there were actually chunks of meat in the stew. I tried it again about a year ago. Now there are just small pebbles size pieces of some kind of meat like something. It doesn't taste as good anymore......They ruined it about the same time they ruined Twinkies.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Reading the info label shows it has an outragious amount of salt content,maybe ok once every coupole of months to a healthy person but i wouldnt be using this stuff on a regular basis.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 AM

654 posts, read 138,994 times
Isn't that the brand Mark Wahlberg shot at the beginning of the movie "Shooter"? I don't recall ever trying it and doubt I ever will.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 AM

13,341 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it would be okay to have on hand in case of emergency but otherwise, I wouldn't eat it. I have eaten it, btw. To me, there's no substitute for the goodness of actual beef stew cooked on the stove top or slow cooker. Besides, canned food loses much of its nutritional value. I love beef stew on a cold winter day (or night!)
Canning PRESERVES nutritional value - nutrition is lost in fresh food as soon as harvested-here is one of many sources:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...nt-levels.html

According to a number of studies, fresh vegetables lose about half of their vitamins in just a matter of days after being harvested, if not properly chilled or sustained. And even after you refrigerate the veggies they still lose at least 50 percent of their nutritional value in about a week's time.

So unless you and your neighborhood rabbits are eating the stuff right out of the ground, you're going to lose quite a bit of the potential nutrition upfront.
“Canned and frozen veggies (low-sodium versions) are picked and harvested at their nutritional peak, and can be much more economical for people trying to eat healthy on a budget,” she said in an interview with ConsumerAffairs.
According to the University of Minnesota, once canned veggies go through the necessary heating process to be packaged, about one-third to one-half of vitamins A, C, thiamin and riboflavin are lost. And about 5 to 20 percent of vitamins are removed after each year, depending on just how you’re storing the vegetables.

So if you compare the nutritional value that’s lost between canned and fresh vegetables, the numbers are pretty even, which proves the difference between the two types of veggies are very small.

Of course, the added sodium, etc. may still be an issue, but nutrition is probably not a deciding factor.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:48 AM

15,539 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I don't think I've ever had Dinty Moore beef stew, but as a child, I do recall eating Chef Boyardee canned ravioli occasionally.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
There was a time in my life when a can of Dinty Moore was like haute cuisine. I haven't eaten DM in many years, mainly because I had a crew of boys to cook for and they all ate like they wouldn't see food again for a week! I made a vat of beef stew, or soup, or gravy. All were served with homemade bread or rolls or biscuits. Had to fill them up some way.

Now, I live alone and making a pot of beef stew, or soup, means I have enough to feed that small army since I never figured out how to make "just a little". So I freeze and have several meals on hand.

I no longer make the gravy - Prego does a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink