U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:24 PM

14,940 posts, read 16,534,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Have you tried the Bob Evans mashed potatoes? its heat and serve
I am a "real foods" and anti-processed/pre-packaged type, but if I am making a mid-week meal and pressed for time, Bob Evans is the ticket. Tastes like homemade, even faster to prepare than instant, and easy to 'doctor' to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 01:33 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times
To me, canned stew tastes exactly like canned vegetable beef soup, just with bigger chunks and the broth thickened. I don't think it is bad for an instant microwave meal. It's probably healthier than a lot of other fast foods or quick to heat and eat foods.

As for instant mashed potatoes, I like them fine. I consider them to be a different food from fresh potatoes. I serve the instant with gravy of some sort, so there isn't a lot of potato flavor that comes through.

Instant mashed potatoes vary a lot by brand. Some taste better than others.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am a "real foods" and anti-processed/pre-packaged type, but if I am making a mid-week meal and pressed for time, Bob Evans is the ticket. Tastes like homemade, even faster to prepare than instant, and easy to 'doctor' to your liking.
My sister-in-law swears by them, and they really are good!

But she has a family of 6 (including 4 teenage boys), and she buys 4-6 of them for each meal, so maybe it's my frugal side, but I would not be able to justify the cost!! You can make a whole lot of mashed potatoes for that, considering they're like $3 or $4 a piece!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Everything is downsized and cheapened to the point that it's garbage...literally.

By the way, that large can of Dinty Moore beef 'stew' was one of the first things that got downsized. It went from 24 ounces to 20 ounces. They didn't downsize the generous sodium or fat.
I have a large can of DM in my hand right now, net weight is 38 ounces (2lb 6 oz).

One 'serving' is 200 calories, with 90 calories from fat...but a 'serving' is one cup, yeah, no, I'll eat more than double that. The sodium is high, 990mg (41%) for 1 cup.

I've been eating DM for decades, and it still seems to be about the same now as it was 40 years ago.

That said, part of my learning how to cook decently came from 'doctoring' DM- adding frozen veggies, more meat of various types (beef, veal, hamburger, etc), a bit of Guinness. Making 'just' DM I'll add frozen peas, carrots and corn and serve it over egg noodles. I like to make beef stew from scratch now, but, sometimes, I like to dump in a big can of DM just for the flavor...which is just what this can is intended for, hey, it tastes good...

Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,239,005 times
I LOVE DINTY MOORE Beef Stew!!! I remember having it for lunch as a child and a distinct memory was a really nice day when my cousin came to lunch and my father made it for us all to enjoy. Sometimes thinking of a memory makes you want to go back in time - I think it was 1971. We always had the Dinty Moore Stew over rice, sometimes with a fried egg. I still have Dinty Moore cans in the garage, get them on sale all the time.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM

11,456 posts, read 8,135,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I LOVE DINTY MOORE Beef Stew!!! I remember having it for lunch as a child and a distinct memory was a really nice day when my cousin came to lunch and my father made it for us all to enjoy. Sometimes thinking of a memory makes you want to go back in time - I think it was 1971. We always had the Dinty Moore Stew over rice, sometimes with a fried egg. I still have Dinty Moore cans in the garage, get them on sale all the time.
Thats funny--i have always thought about putting it over white rice--is it good that way?

Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,239,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Thats funny--i have always thought about putting it over white rice--is it good that way?
It's delicious!!! Make sure the rice is fluffy and softer rather than a dryer tougher rice (put more water in the rice to get that softer texture, even soaking it for 30 minutes helps). Something about the Dinty Moore stew and the little bits of carrots, potatoes and beef morsels go so well together. A very satisfying meal.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM

216 posts, read 73,617 times
I am a very good cook, use whole foods, lots of herbs, fresh veggies and...I love Dinty Moore. Can't serve it to the hub, he'd think I'd gone bonkers so it's my guilty pleasure when I'm hungry, busy and no time to make anything. I don't even heat it up lol.

Also useful as emergency hurricane food to have just in case. Been through several week long power outages over the years. Once a year I donate all our canned goods to the food bank and buy a new batch. The pop-tops are preferred by food banks for homeless with no can openers.

Salty, fatty Dinty Moore. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink