U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,119,381 times

Advertisements

I did for a few years, got burned out, now that I'm retired with lotsa time, trying it again.

It really IS a lot of work. Do you think it's worth it, health-wise?

What veg's do you use and how long does it take you? Are you happy with your juicer?

Certainly a lot of compost-worthy leavings.

I have an Omega which I really like, not hard to clean. The time-consuming part is peeling, chopping, feeding into the tube. Gathering up all the peels and left-over stuff. We do carrots, beets, celery, cucumber, ginger, lime. I hate beets but like them in juice. But what a PITA they are with their staining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 02:42 PM

18,906 posts, read 12,513,229 times
I do not do this, because I do not believe the practice os beneficial.

Most of us do not get enough fiber, as it is. Veggies contribute needed fiber that slows absorption of carbs in our digestion, and elimination.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM

17,678 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do not do this, because I do not believe the practice os beneficial.

Most of us do not get enough fiber, as it is. Veggies contribute needed fiber that slows absorption of carbs in our digestion, and elimination.

I'm with sb....

Not only that, but it must be time consuming too.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:00 PM

714 posts, read 330,206 times
Agreed, one needs more than juice. Like fiber and such.

Plus I find it tough to drink vegetable juices because the flavors are so heavily concentrated and amped up. The juice is just too potent tasting for me. Love carrots, for example, but can’t drink carrot juice.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:47 PM

5,512 posts, read 3,367,544 times
I like fresh juice drinks, and will once in a while splurge and buy one. It has to have ginger--I'll drink almost anything if it has enough ginger in it!

But for the most part, and and always when at home, I eat vegetables whole.

A phrase that I read somewhere and that stayed with me, is that all foods should be eaten in "biologically reasonable" quantities. For example, I will eat a whole apple or carrot, but I won't eat three or four apples or carrots at once. When you juice foods, you not only eliminate the fiber but concentrate all the sugars and other nutrients that would be in three or more servings into one, so you end up drinking amounts that are not necessarily appropriate.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 PM

18,906 posts, read 12,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I like fresh juice drinks, and will once in a while splurge and buy one. It has to have ginger--I'll drink almost anything if it has enough ginger in it!

But for the most part, and and always when at home, I eat vegetables whole.

A phrase that I read somewhere and that stayed with me, is that all foods should be eaten in "biologically reasonable" quantities. For example, I will eat a whole apple or carrot, but I won't eat three or four apples or carrots at once. When you juice foods, you not only eliminate the fiber but concentrate all the sugars and other nutrients that would be in three or more servings into one, so you end up drinking amounts that are not necessarily appropriate.
Good points!

Old 09-11-2018, 05:34 PM

5,841 posts, read 3,314,680 times
We don't juice our vegies, but we do add some to our protein drinks sometimes to increase the nutrition. Parsley and other herbs from our garden and celery are frequent choices. We just put them in the blender along with everything else.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 PM

28,413 posts, read 2,213,490 times
No, I do not juice anything. I like to eat my veg & my fruits too. I believe it is healthier.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,166,956 times
While we occasionally make fresh orange juice, we eat our fruits and vegetables. Fiber is a good thing.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I did for a few years, got burned out, now that I'm retired with lotsa time, trying it again.

It really IS a lot of work. Do you think it's worth it, health-wise?

What veg's do you use and how long does it take you? Are you happy with your juicer?

Certainly a lot of compost-worthy leavings.

I have an Omega which I really like, not hard to clean. The time-consuming part is peeling, chopping, feeding into the tube. Gathering up all the peels and left-over stuff. We do carrots, beets, celery, cucumber, ginger, lime. I hate beets but like them in juice. But what a PITA they are with their staining.
No. Also tastes bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or