U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 PM

778 posts, read 169,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Is that your and your wife's website?
No, but that is the best copycat recipe we've ever found for that sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 PM

35,120 posts, read 43,287,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
We always freeze extra tomato sauce whether for pizza or pasta. When my wife makes a recipe of "Giuseppe's Bolognese Sauce" we freeze it in meal size portions.

Jim and Shirley's recipes: Giuseppe's Bolognese Sauce
Wow, that would either be very good, or maybe kill you. Sounds like a good way to go.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 23,054,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One of the big things that has stopped me from making home-made pizza is the sauce. I always have too much left over. Then I had a brainstorm, and re-purposed some plastic yogurt containers. They hold just about enough for a 12" pizza, and are easy to thaw in the microwave.

I open up a large bottle of Classico spaghetti sauce and I use that for a variety of dishes including pizza. I like the flavor better than most of the commercial sauces. Generally, it takes less than a week to work through the whole jar of spaghetti sauce so there is no waste.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,342,130 times
I'm really embarrassed to say that it never occurred to me to freeze leftover sauce portions in baggies... duh! Thanks!

So the one element that really upped my homemade pizza game was getting a pizza stone for the oven, but I think a usable facsimile can be a large pan, esp cast iron, turned upside down & preheated very high, highest oven temp possible, for quite a while.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM

11,282 posts, read 6,747,350 times
We always use olive oil with garlic and spices for our pizza "sauce". It's easy to make just the right amount, takes just a few minutes, and is easy to brush on the pizza dough. Plus I'm not a big fan of red sauce, so I like the flavor better.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:12 PM

28,504 posts, read 18,082,889 times
I throw left over sauce in zip locks and toss in the freezer. Same for left over tomato paste, heavy cream, etc.

I hate waste.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 PM

1,957 posts, read 791,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I always use zip-top bags for liquids. Freeze flat and you have the best possible storage layout for the space.
I prefer reusing things that would otherwise end up in a landfill somewhere or floating out at sea to choke a passing turtle or seal. If we must have plastic crap, at least reuse the plastic crap until it starts leaking. Plastic bags are entirely wasteful. I avoid them whenever possible.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Plastic yogurt containers are not microwave safe - I'd never use them in this way. Just buy reusable freezer containers and use those.
They're fine in the microwave. An awful lot of the cheaper plastic boxes claim to be microwave safe but will degrade quickly in the microwave, especially when its something acidic like tomato sauce. They get these weird little bubbles and rough spots on the inside.

I repurpose everything possible. That includes the plastic boxes stuff like yogurt and sour cream come in. I can't buy stuff in more ecologically sound containers so I reuse the heck out of everything. I have a particular liking for glass jars with good lids, but the sour cream/yogurt tubs are useful as well.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, that would either be very good, or maybe kill you. Sounds like a good way to go.
I looked at the recipe. There is no way I would ever put that cr ap in my mouth. It's got everything in it but the kitchen sink. What a jumble!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 AM

778 posts, read 169,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I looked at the recipe. There is no way I would ever put that cr ap in my mouth. It's got everything in it but the kitchen sink. What a jumble!
I think people that form an opinion for something they have never tried are ridiculous and very foolish! I've read some of your other posts and it seems you enjoy knocking others.

Last edited by Dogboa; 09-15-2018 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink