U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Status: "Passed my RICA!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,189 posts, read 21,522,959 times
Reputation: 23041

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I had some eggs laid by Andean Blue chickens. They have so much flavor. I went to buy more a few weeks later but the supermarket had stopped carrying them - the worker told me people would "not buy blue colored eggs" and they just sat on the shelf.


I guess I'll have to start keeping chickens myself.
I noticed that when Martha Stewart bakes, she's got those blue eggs mixed in with the other colored eggs from her bespoke chicken coop. Always extra, that one. I'd buy them if I saw them. The eggs my grandmamas had in the old country, oh my. The color of the yolks was intense, by comparison to commercial eggs here in the U.S., but the taste? Worlds apart. My favorite breakfast at my grandmama's was soft boiled egg with buttered soldiers dipped in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,296 posts, read 10,369,943 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
For me in the last week or so I just tried:

polenta-eh it was ok
eggplant hummus-amazing
couscous-ok
Teff flour, gluten free, does not react with yeast. Full of iron and other nutrients.

I love gluten.

Ethiopian lady explained to me that authentic way to make teff flour bread is 3-5 day fermenting process, involving intermittent physical labor.

I sped up the process by adding wheat gluten and yeast.

Obviously not the same the authentic way, but similar effect: soft, airy, and rolls up in fingers after flattening and short baking. Put vegetables on top, escarole, endives, onions, mushrooms, etc., or meat if one desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,137 posts, read 8,120,880 times
Reputation: 13226
Forget about new foods, how about new fruits and vegetables. I think the main reason I shop at Asian grocers is the larger assortment of fruits and veg. Most supermarkets really lack variety, hard to blame them when most Americans don't regularly eat tropical fruits and leaf plants.

Recently had a variety of Korean Grapefruit that was less tangy, more on the bitter side, and it was easier to peel than normal Grapefruits we have here. It is usually ripen to eat when the green fades and it start to turn golden. When fully ripe it is harder to chew.

For those women who are into Korean cosmetics, it's not just stuff you put on the face to keep your skin nice you have to follow the Korean diet of drinking lots of citrus teas and eating Korean pears and grapefruits. That is how Korean women maintains good skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
31,412 posts, read 2,467,682 times
Reputation: 10682
The only new thing I have cooked, recently was nopales. I bought the cactus leaves & cooked them They were ok, but it is much easier to buy the ones n a jar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
21,544 posts, read 4,520,636 times
Reputation: 26364
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The only new thing I have cooked, recently was nopales. I bought the cactus leaves & cooked them They were ok, but it is much easier to buy the ones n a jar.
Never heard of them on this side of the country....so cacti in a jar? Are they pickled or what???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,240 posts, read 13,287,924 times
Reputation: 27153
I’ve been trying out the Litehouse brand of dried spices. I really like the salad dressing blend. I’ve bought, but have yet to try the blend for guacamole, which seems like a good all purpose MexiCali blend I can use in other dishes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM
 
Location: North State (California)
31,412 posts, read 2,467,682 times
Reputation: 10682
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Never heard of them on this side of the country....so cacti in a jar? Are they pickled or what???
Yes the ones in a jar are, in slices, & lightly picked, they make a nice ( low cal veg) addition to a chili. Look in the Mexican section of a grocery store. I will also use them in a salad, or fajitas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,845 posts, read 13,737,768 times
Reputation: 21124
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Forget about new foods, how about new fruits and vegetables. I think the main reason I shop at Asian grocers is the larger assortment of fruits and veg. Most supermarkets really lack variety, hard to blame them when most Americans don't regularly eat tropical fruits and leaf plants.

Recently had a variety of Korean Grapefruit that was less tangy, more on the bitter side, and it was easier to peel than normal Grapefruits we have here. It is usually ripen to eat when the green fades and it start to turn golden. When fully ripe it is harder to chew.

For those women who are into Korean cosmetics, it's not just stuff you put on the face to keep your skin nice you have to follow the Korean diet of drinking lots of citrus teas and eating Korean pears and grapefruits. That is how Korean women maintains good skin.
OH, that sounds like something I just picked up a Kroger, I think it was called a pummelo or something close to that. It's going to be breakfast tomorrow. Kroger is pretty good about introducing new fruits and vegetables, but they never seem to hang onto them, which is disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
432 posts, read 147,533 times
Reputation: 1095
Recently tried mackerel for the first time and really liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 PM
 
13,904 posts, read 23,348,452 times
Reputation: 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OH, that sounds like something I just picked up a Kroger, I think it was called a pummelo or something close to that. It's going to be breakfast tomorrow. Kroger is pretty good about introducing new fruits and vegetables, but they never seem to hang onto them, which is disappointing.

In all fairness, it is not always all that easy to procure some of the specialty produce. Many of the Asian fruits are very seasonal. Last summer, I was bringing hone rambutans quite frequently. I have not seen them in nearly six months as they are out of season. Ditto on pomegranates I have not seen them since Christmas.

I will say that Kroger stores generally will not carry products that will not sell in a particular store. I know my local store will NOT carry okra which is pretty mad as we are heading into Mardi Gras season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top