U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 01:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 2,142,556 times

Advertisements

It was an epic let down when I made a simple soup from the insta pot.

followed the ingredients , time, and temp.

Reckon I still enjoy the hours of it simmering on the stove and permeating thru the house. Some how it captures all the subtle seasonings.....

so for now its a nice door stop near my one cabinet.....

Yup, love my crock pot for roast stews....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM

5,155 posts, read 2,992,030 times
I'm confused by not wanting the scent of good food cooking in the house. My whole family loves to come home and smell what's cooking. It seems so homey and welcoming. I always ask them to guess what it is.

Way back when we were first married and DH worked on a construction crew there was a guy he worked with who always had to have a piece of gum after he ate "to get the grub taste out of my mouth." I don't get it. Makes it sound like the food taste was something to be avoided.

The lingering taste of good food, unless you need to clear the palate for dessert or something, seems enjoyable to me. Anyone want to explain why you don't want your house to smell like good cooking to me?

Old 09-19-2018, 02:22 PM

15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I'm fine with a kitchen of good smells while the cooking/eating is on-going, but not all day long. Opening my cabinet doors and getting a whiff of onion because the scent has permeated the wood, is not something I enjoy.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:29 PM

11,693 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm confused by not wanting the scent of good food cooking in the house. My whole family loves to come home and smell what's cooking. It seems so homey and welcoming. I always ask them to guess what it is.

Way back when we were first married and DH worked on a construction crew there was a guy he worked with who always had to have a piece of gum after he ate "to get the grub taste out of my mouth." I don't get it. Makes it sound like the food taste was something to be avoided.

The lingering taste of good food, unless you need to clear the palate for dessert or something, seems enjoyable to me. Anyone want to explain why you don't want your house to smell like good cooking to me?
Open floor plan here, completely open. I do not care for beans and ham hock at midnight lingering in the master bedroom.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM

11,693 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What is the benefit to that? I have pots and pans. And if it's a matter of being able to brown meat without using another pot, there are crock pots that will do that.
It lasted one try

Old 09-19-2018, 06:19 PM

904 posts, read 813,703 times
Default CP vs IP

I've been back and forth on getting an Insta pot.. I have a crock pot, which gets used a couple times a week in the winter.... basically to cook while i'm at work

At first i thought the Instapot would be amazing...cooking stuff so quickly... but now i'm not so sure.

Gonna follow this thread for a bit...

Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This seems to be season in my kitchen. The Cuisinart died and went back to Kohl's. Yes, they took the beast back. I have not yet found a replacement so no breaded chicken breasts. Last Saturday was what I call insanity rally - major stocking up. SO is great when it comes to this and sections chicken wings, hand cleans chicken breasts, saves wing tips and scraps to go into the crock pot over night. He ended up with at least six pounds. Garage had a strange smell. Crock pot did not heat up properly. Chicken and pot made it into the trash. I have the 5 quart "baby" in use. Williams Sonoma charges 275ish for the 7 quart.
I have never looked into instapots. Yes, an ongoing topic on CD. My main use - beans with full ham hock, vegetable soups, stock, goulash, chili. What do you recommend based on personal experience? With a totally open floor plan I like to move heavy and long cooking smells to the porch or the garage.
I love my instant pot. I use it for everything-steaming, slow cooker, saute veggies then make soup, hard boiled eggs (really they are steamed)....I have a new one in the box in case my original one blows....

Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 PM

5,155 posts, read 2,992,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Open floor plan here, completely open. I do not care for beans and ham hock at midnight lingering in the master bedroom.
You don't find the scent romantic?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I have a medical condition that causes frequent nausea. Using the crock pot all day leaves me too nauseated by the smell to eat dinner that night.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There's a little bit of a learning curve with the Instant Pot. You may like your ribs more tender than whoever wrote the recipe. Fall-off-the-bones tender takes a little bit longer. You should also do a natural release for meat.

Whole potatoes are generally better in the microwave than the IP.
Thank you for this feedback. Yes, I think I will have a learning curve, and generally, I do like things very tender, and have always added time when I use my crockpot, so it stands to reason I will have to do the same in the IP. Just not sure how much time would be best, I guess that will be the trial and error part, as someone referred to it earlier. For example, the recipe for the ribs I made called for a 35 min cook time. Next time I'll try 40, or even 45. Don't want to overdo it though, lest it become a hazard. So far, I only use the natural release, so I'll probably stick with that. And thank you for validating the potato experience I had. I made a baked potato for my kids tonight, and it took 7 minutes in the microwave and was perfect, so sorry, IP, won't be using you for that ever again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or