U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-20-2018, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
262 posts, read 116,297 times
Reputation: 227

Advertisements

I mainly use our instapot to cook rice, which turns out pefect unless too much water is added. But that's no biggie, I just fridge the soggy rice and blend it to make congee the next morning.

We followed this Instapot chicken tikka masala recipe and it worked out very well! There was some prep involved, but you can do the cleaning of your knives, cutting board, etc. while it cooks. We made enough for 6 total meals, which is efficient for just my wife and I.

I agree there is a learning curve with using it, but there are tons of recipes online to follow that will build your confidence in it. I strongly recommend trying some simple recipes out and giving it a chance.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Reputation: 22434
I would like to know what the difference is btwn a crockpot and an instapot ? I already have a steamer cooker that sits on my counter and I was just wondering what the difference btwn a crockpot and an instapot thanks .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 AM
 
5,321 posts, read 7,656,746 times
Reputation: 9538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I bought an Instant Pot a few months ago, and just used it for the first time this week. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed. I made short ribs with a red wine sauce and the results were not as good as the crockpot (the meat wasn't as tender). The next night, I tried baked potatoes and, again, they were no better than when I make them in the microwave, it took much longer, and it required clean up.

I'm thinking I need to increase my cooking times over whatever the Instant Pot recipe suggests and maybe I'll get better results. If anyone here has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
There is no substitute for baking potatoes in the oven. Instant pots are better than microwaves for baking potatoes but they still don’t come close to oven-baked.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Reputation: 20843
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would like to know what the difference is btwn a crockpot and an instapot ? I already have a steamer cooker that sits on my counter and I was just wondering what the difference btwn a crockpot and an instapot thanks .
A crockpot is the electric version of a Dutch oven. An Instant Pot is the electric version of a stove-top pressure cooker with a few added features.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 07:16 AM
 
7,960 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Reputation: 27278
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would like to know what the difference is btwn a crockpot and an instapot ? I already have a steamer cooker that sits on my counter and I was just wondering what the difference btwn a crockpot and an instapot thanks .
A crockpot is a slow cooker. Food cooks for typically 6-8 hours.

An Instant Pot is basically a fancy electronic pressure cooker. Food cooks very quickly. (Though some people are surprised when they start using an Instant Pot and find out that a recipe that says it cooks in 40 minutes can actually take more like an hour, because the cook time doesn't factor in the time it takes to get up to pressure and the time it takes to release pressure)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Reputation: 22434
well then im good because I bought a power pressure cooker XL about a year ago and I really don't use it that much and frankly the meat cooking in it is blah bland and no way would I ever put meat in it again . It was purely disgusting what it did to the meat so I will keep cooking things like rice and noodles and hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker but forget meat . Meat in the crock pot is awesome . thank you to all of those who answered my question .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Reputation: 27746
I love my Instant Pot, but it definitely isn't a replacement for everything in your kitchen.

I wouldn't bother to "bake" potatoes in it - I nuke them for a few minutes and then put them into the toaster oven for about 15 minutes and they taste like they were really baked for an hour. But on the other hand, it's fantastic for making potato salad, much easier than boiling potatoes, and you can even boil eggs at the same time if you use them in your recipe.

Things I regularly make in the IP are soups and stews, and it works very well for certain things like ribs or a pork roast, where you finish them in the oven, under a broiler, or on the grill. We aren't really bean eaters but enough people say that it is fantastic for those that I believe it.

I've personally had less luck with some of the multi-ingredient quasi-casserole type recipes, but then again, I'm not a big fan of those in a crockpot either, I prefer things like that in the oven.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Reputation: 20843
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I love my Instant Pot, but it definitely isn't a replacement for everything in your kitchen.

I wouldn't bother to "bake" potatoes in it - I nuke them for a few minutes and then put them into the toaster oven for about 15 minutes and they taste like they were really baked for an hour. But on the other hand, it's fantastic for making potato salad, much easier than boiling potatoes, and you can even boil eggs at the same time if you use them in your recipe.

Things I regularly make in the IP are soups and stews, and it works very well for certain things like ribs or a pork roast, where you finish them in the oven, under a broiler, or on the grill. We aren't really bean eaters but enough people say that it is fantastic for those that I believe it.

I've personally had less luck with some of the multi-ingredient quasi-casserole type recipes, but then again, I'm not a big fan of those in a crockpot either, I prefer things like that in the oven.
Absolutely! I have a vegetarian in the family, so we eat beans all the time. I altered an IP recipe from Serious Eats that used chorizo for making black beans so it would be vegetarian for my daughter, and it has become my favorite way to cook them! So fast and easy, and the beans have wonderful flavor and perfect texture. As for the meat eaters in the family, I use the IP to make tinga chicken. They devour it. My youngest would eat it every night if I let him. The IP is great for steel-cut oats, too. I set it up the night before on time delay, and it goes off around the time I get up, so I have a steaming bowl of oats waiting for me when I'm done with my morning routine.

While I would not call it a replacement for everything in your kitchen, it really is a wonderful tool for a small kitchen or an efficiency. My daughter bought a mini for her dorm room, and she has found all sorts of creative ways to use it in keeping herself fed. She makes pasta in it, cooks oats, makes steamed eggs, pops corn, simmers beans, steams sweet potatoes, stews peaches and other fruits, makes rice, and reheats frozen burritos. I think she even poached salmon in it once! I should note, though, that the IP is not considered a dorm legal appliance at most schools.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-20-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Mt. Lebanon
1,793 posts, read 1,824,630 times
Reputation: 1745
wow... i didn't know what an instant pot was. i had to google it. I won't get one mostly because I have the others and I use them. In the pressure cooker I make the soups. It saves me time. In the slow cooker I make casseroles overnight. In the yogurt maker I make yogurt. For everything else I have regular pots and pans and a gas stove.

I am amazed at the quantity of devices American women amass in their kitchen. By contrast, European women don't have much because the kitchen are not so big as American ones. Even their fridges are smaller. To me such a device is important only if it saves me time or make the work easier. Otherwise it just sits there.

Also my mom was a fabulous cook and didn't have any of the stuff I have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Reputation: 20843
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
wow... i didn't know what an instant pot was. i had to google it. I won't get one mostly because I have the others and I use them. In the pressure cooker I make the soups. It saves me time. In the slow cooker I make casseroles overnight. In the yogurt maker I make yogurt. For everything else I have regular pots and pans and a gas stove.

I am amazed at the quantity of devices American women amass in their kitchen. By contrast, European women don't have much because the kitchen are not so big as American ones. Even their fridges are smaller. To me such a device is important only if it saves me time or make the work easier. Otherwise it just sits there.

Also my mom was a fabulous cook and didn't have any of the stuff I have.
Are you actually complaining about the number of appliances American women keep in their kitchens while touting your own pressure cooker, slow cooker, and yogurt maker? I have a set of pots and pans, an Instant Pot, and an immersion blender. That's the totality of my cooking tools minus utensils like knives and cooking spoons, plus a few pieces of bakeware.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top