U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 AM

18,842 posts, read 12,465,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Don't pressure cookers do the same thing? We used to use ours a lot, living at high altitude. Now, not so much. (sea level)
Yes, basically. I used a stovetop PC for years. But because it is easier, I do things like hard cook eggs and make oatmeal in the Instant Pot. When I used the PC, I had to monitor it as it cooked, but using a slow cooker is pretty mindless. Think of an IP as combining the functionality of a PC with the automatic operation of a slow cooker. That is sort of how it works, but it works relatively fast.

The IP makes rice, tomato sauce, soup, roast, stew, cooked cereal, potatoes, beans, eggs, etc. Its uses seem endless.

I do not like it for most veggies. Some cook desserts in it, but I am not interested in that so I’ve never done that.

Google recipes for the Instant Pot to see the range of stuff people use it for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM

15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Another thing for which I find it useful is making very tasty vegetable and chicken broth. The IP is a flexible piece of equipment. I have a small kitchen, so everything in my cabinets has to earn its keep. I did not know if the IP would qualify when it showed up under the Christmas tree a couple of years ago, as I was happy having very basic cooking tools -- I don't even have a toaster, and I knead bread dough by hand -- but I'm happy I gave the Instant Pot a shot. It's been very helpful for the type of cooking I do. And since I brought up bread, I'll mention that I find it handy for proofing dough using the yogurt setting. I used to turn my oven on for a few minute to warm it up and then proof my bread inside, particularly in the winter when my kitchen is somewhat cold,, but it then made the oven unusable for anything else, which was a pain.

Since desserts came up in another post, I will admit that I have made a cheesecake or two in in the IP. Also treacle pudding. The results were good, but it's not something I do with any regularity. And my waistline thanks me!

Last edited by randomparent; 09-20-2018 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM

7,960 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I am amazed at the quantity of devices American women amass in their kitchen. By contrast, European women don't have much because the kitchen are not so big as American ones. Even their fridges are smaller. To me such a device is important only if it saves me time or make the work easier. Otherwise it just sits there.
The Instant Pot would take the place of your pressure cooker and yogurt maker, so there's one less device.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This seems to be season in my kitchen. The Cuisinart died and went back to Kohl's. Yes, they took the beast back. I have not yet found a replacement so no breaded chicken breasts. Last Saturday was what I call insanity rally - major stocking up. SO is great when it comes to this and sections chicken wings, hand cleans chicken breasts, saves wing tips and scraps to go into the crock pot over night. He ended up with at least six pounds. Garage had a strange smell. Crock pot did not heat up properly. Chicken and pot made it into the trash. I have the 5 quart "baby" in use. Williams Sonoma charges 275ish for the 7 quart.
I have never looked into instapots. Yes, an ongoing topic on CD. My main use - beans with full ham hock, vegetable soups, stock, goulash, chili. What do you recommend based on personal experience? With a totally open floor plan I like to move heavy and long cooking smells to the porch or the garage.
Crock pots and Instant Pots (or any electric pressure cooker) are similar in how the food turns out (great for everything you listed), but the Instant Pot is much faster at cooking (due to the pressure).

For example, pulled pork is 6-8 hours in a slow cooker, but is maybe 1 hour in an instant pot (5-7 minutes to come to pressure + 30 to 45 minutes of cooking + 10 to 15 minutes of natural pressure releasing). The end result is the same, but it's a faster cook (and some models do yogurt or sous vide).

Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well then im good because I bought a power pressure cooker XL about a year ago and I really don't use it that much and frankly the meat cooking in it is blah bland and no way would I ever put meat in it again . It was purely disgusting what it did to the meat so I will keep cooking things like rice and noodles and hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker but forget meat . Meat in the crock pot is awesome . thank you to all of those who answered my question .
Did you put the meat on a trivet? I use one of those folding steam racks that opens like a flower. The only meat I cook without a trivet is pork tenderloin. I have a PPCXL and an Instant Pot, and I always use the PPCXL for meat because it works so well in there. The plate that holds the gasket is nice too, because I can put a lot of seasonings on the meat, and moisture doesn't drip down and wash them all off.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,123,724 times
My wife cooks some of the most amazing things in the Instant Pot. She likes her 6 quart so much she wants a 3 quart also. She still uses her Hamilton Beach Stay-n-Go as well.

The only thing she had a problem with was cheese cake and we figured out there was an error in the recipe.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM

847 posts, read 444,139 times
I have an Instant pot and I do use it but only for specific things. To me it's convenient for cooking meat from frozen. I saute some bacon, add some frozen chicken, broth and seasonings and 15 minutes later I have this amazing chicken. Same with a roast. But there is such hype with the IP that some recipes online are ridiculously time-consuming and would be easier to make in a crockpot or on the stove. There was one recipe I tried where you had to cook under pressure, then depressurize and add more ingredients, then back to pressure, etc. I realized it would have been much easier just to make in a crockpot.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Default Finally got a winner!

After my two previous ho hum attempts earlier this week with the IP, I made a Thai Red Curry with chicken for lunch, and it turned out quite well.

My faith in myself is restored...

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-21-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM

7,960 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
After my two previous ho hum attempts earlier this week with the IP, I made a Thai Red Curry with chicken for lunch, and it turned out quite good.

My faith in myself is restored...
Congrats! I think tonight I'm doing a Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup in the IP. Quite looking forward to it.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
ive recently bought an instapot and air fryer
last night I cooked bacon wrapped scallops in the air fryer it was excellent!!

the instapot I use for moist cooking pulled pork or beef pot roast works great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or