Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,218 times

Advertisements

And I really want to deep fry! Had some crispy, deep fried, gyoza at a restaurant a few weeks ago. So delicious. Got some from trader joe's and want to fry them up but don't want to be bothered with the oil afterwards. Here we have two options. Let the oil cool, put it into a container with a lid, and put the container in the garbage can. Or take containers to the city-run office that accepts used cooking oils and let them do whatever they do with it. During the holidays they make a point of mailing out announcements to everyone saying bring used grease and cooking oils to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I feed it to my dogs.

Not all at once.

When I "deep fry" I only use oil halfway up the food, then turn the food over to do the other side. That works fine. No need to put oil 6 inches deep in the pan.

You can filter the oil and store it in the fridge and reuse it. I don't fry often enough to make that worth the trouble.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Never, EVER pour it down the drain! EVER! I use paper towels to absorb the used oil, and then it goes in the trash. If I have a GREAT quantity, I will let it cool, pour it in an old coffee can (yes, I save them for this purpose), put the top on and trash it!

I do reuse some shortening for potatoes/bread etc....non-meat items. You can get many uses from that. But I use crisco shortening for that...not oil.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
The last time I accompanied Mr C to our local recycling center, I noticed a sign for "Recycle Cooking Oils here".

I did not know that they offered this. We do as others, catch in one of those oil bags within a container, then trash it. Never down the drain/s.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Never, EVER pour it down the drain! EVER! I use paper towels to absorb the used oil, and then it goes in the trash. If I have a GREAT quantity, I will let it cool, pour it in an old coffee can (yes, I save them for this purpose), put the top on and trash it!

I do reuse some shortening for potatoes/bread etc....non-meat items. You can get many uses from that. But I use crisco shortening for that...not oil.

That's what I do. I don't do any deep frying, so I don't even have that much, anyway.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Use an empty tin coffee can.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 PM

255 posts, read 168,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
After frying something, how should one dispose the oil? It's not good to dump it in the sink, how about the toilet?
I don't use cooking oil that has to be dumped - I use olive oil and that just absorbs into the food or whatever is left, I wipe out with a paper towel. When I fry bacon, I usually save the grease in a can and use it for future cooking. If I don't, I'll take it outside while still liquid and pour it into the edge of the woods or on the gravel.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 3,511 times
As others have said, it should go in the trash. Putting it down the drain can clog your pipes or sewer mains.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The last time I accompanied Mr C to our local recycling center, I noticed a sign for "Recycle Cooking Oils here".

I did not know that they offered this. We do as others, catch in one of those oil bags within a container, then trash it. Never down the drain/s.
I'll have to see if my recycling center has that. I know they have a spot for motor oil.

I normally wipe out my pan with a paper towel and throw away. If it is a lot of oil I pour into a container or plastic bag, after it has cooled, and throw away.

I do have a jar of bacon grease in the fridge.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:04 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'll have to see if my recycling center has that. I know they have a spot for motor oil.

I normally wipe out my pan with a paper towel and throw away. If it is a lot of oil I pour into a container or plastic bag, after it has cooled, and throw away.

I do have a jar of bacon grease in the fridge.
I have a few containers of grease too …...I use in slow cookers and insta pot as a starting sauce.... excellent concentrated flavors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink