U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:46 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,779,844 times

Advertisements

It looks worse than it tastes. I've only eaten it in rice porridge, the dish is called 'Congee' in chinese - you can find this on Dimsum menu of every Chinese restaurant that serves dimsum (chinese style tapas) - and it's delicious. The egg itself is creamy, no smell whatsoever, and despite the jello-like look, does not have a jello taste.

Now congee aka rice porridge, I looooove this dish. The rice is cooked with plenty of broth (or just plain water if you don't have broth ready), sliced lean pork meat (or chicken), sliced fresh ginger, white pepper, and salt, and simmer it on low flame for an hour or two until it reaches porridge consistency, then you can add the egg in (or skip it altogether). Rice porridge is actually the most common breakfast in China and many Asian countries, the equivalent of Oatmeal in the west. It's a warm, wholesome meal that fills your belly like a warm hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 AM

10,381 posts, read 2,816,810 times
I've never tried them, but have always been curious, so yeah, I would give it a go.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times
The taste of these eggs can only be described as eating eggs rubbed with cold charcoal without the dusty texture. I think it's truly an acquired taste, it is not meant to be edible plain. It is often used to pair with other foods like rice, tofu, and noodles. Used with ginger, pork, and some soy sauce glaze it tastes great because the texture of the egg white is very gelatinous vs typical egg whites that just break apart too easily.

Anyone who eats it plain won't like it, especially the yolk which tastes like pencil lead with cavier.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM

1,524 posts, read 778,631 times
The egg white is chewy jelly textured while yolk has a dull fart like smell, not everyone can accept but I've learnt to appreciate the unique taste. It's a refreshing snack when served as cold dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink