U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 PM

2,682 posts, read 960,581 times

Advertisements

I can't afford to be a snob, but there are a few things I use that I can't get any other way but to order them. I definitely think they are more pungent and delicious. Penzey's occasionally runs a special you can't pass up and I like the small jars for odd things. Anything I can get in the regular supermarket, I do, due to cost.

Brian M - green chili powder? How is it in relation to regular chili powder? I have a particular interest because I haven't heard/thought of it, but have a green chili recipe from my father that uses green zebra tomatoes and green tomatillos and I hate putting in that red chili powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
I have jalapeno chili powder, and I would imagine any green chili would work well.

My whole reason for starting this is we are moving in a year and half, and we may try the whole year in an RV thing going around the country.

I cook a lot, but weight and space is an issue in a RV, and my 50 containers of spices won't pack well.

But I can't go without being able to cook... (well, I don't wanna), and one of the online retailers sells one ounce bags of spices, which would be perfect, and if they have more flavor I can make that work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-21-2018, 06:48 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
Try The Sausage Maker for bulk spices. If you can't use a bulk purchase by yourself, divide it into Christmas gift baskets. I'd be interested to know of any other supplier with prices like these.
I did a comparison the other day, Penzey's was almost twice as much on Smoked Paprika. I have been buying from The Sausage Maker for years, I have never been disappointed.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,928,267 times
Snob? No. I am more of a spice aficionado. I make my own spice blends and have a huge assortment and variety. I try to buy in bulk. I make my own sausage as well. I also make a lot of sauces, especially hot sauces. I even make my own pepper mash. I guess I don't like bland food?

For anyone interested this company sells in bulk and is very good quality. I'm sure there are others.

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 AM

11,039 posts, read 11,450,778 times
By far the highest quality spices I have found are sold by El Guapo in little cellophane packets for about 75 cents each, a fraction of what the mega corporations charge. The flavor is outstanding. I will never go back to the spice rack junk.

Shop in the Mexican food section.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:39 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
By far the highest quality spices I have found are sold by El Guapo in little cellophane packets for about 75 cents each, a fraction of what the mega corporations charge. The flavor is outstanding. I will never go back to the spice rack junk.

Shop in the Mexican food section.

No very helpful for a place with little hispanic population or when cooking other cuisines.

But if I ever see them I will try them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM

28,079 posts, read 2,192,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No very helpful for a place with little hispanic population or when cooking other cuisines.

But if I ever see them I will try them.

They are widely available in California, I have even seen them in drug stores. But they cost .99 here lol

Old 09-21-2018, 04:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
I buy from Penzeys when I can get there. Years ago, I bought via mail order.

Their stuff is really good. I recommend their cinnamons and their hot chocolate mix. If you like curry, they have multiple kinds to choose from. Their Tellicherry peppercorns are better than any supermarketís.

But Penzeys does not have a store close to me. So, if I need a small amount of something, I am open to buying it from the bulk spice bin at my local Winco. Or, sometimes Iíll buy a tiny box of herb or spice at Whole Foods.

I also grow herbs for summer use. If I want to buy basil in the dead of winter, Iíll buy those fresh leaves you can buy in plastic containers.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
gguera.....thank you for that link!

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Thanks a lot for introducing me to yummy-looking spices that I can't really afford, y'all. I was perfectly happy with my el-cheapo spices, but now I might have a new and expensive hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink