U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:07 PM

19,883 posts, read 36,393,146 times

Advertisements

I've used Penzey's and Savory Spice - Penzey's used to have an absolutely wonderful ground bay leaf with a few other spices that I swore by, but they stopped making it about the time both they and Savory Spice came to town. I also use the bulk bin at the grocery store for some things that I'm only going to use a smidgen of. With both my husband and I going on a lower sodium diet, I'm about to start making my own blends - we'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:30 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,322,955 times
I get mine from a huge international market. They have everything you can think of and spices are fresh, cheap and packaged (not bulk germ festivals). I make all my own blends, so I have loads of spices (prob 140+). I stock up about twice a year.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,771,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We've used Penzeys for years. Great products..No salt chili powder is wonderful

That said, we no longer buy Penzeys

Their off the wall liberal political statements are flooding their newsletters.

I want spices, not politics rubbed in my face
I think the parent company, whatever their name is, has kept quiet, so I have bought some spices from them.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have jalapeno chili powder, and I would imagine any green chili would work well.

My whole reason for starting this is we are moving in a year and half, and we may try the whole year in an RV thing going around the country.

I cook a lot, but weight and space is an issue in a RV, and my 50 containers of spices won't pack well.

But I can't go without being able to cook... (well, I don't wanna), and one of the online retailers sells one ounce bags of spices, which would be perfect, and if they have more flavor I can make that work.
You can do with good basics and make your own mixes. SO actually made a prototype wall rack herb garden for the same project. Plastic containers save on weight.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 PM

14,940 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Depends on the spice.

Certain things I will get from Penzey's or similar spice purveyors, like nutmeg, cinnamon, oregano, et al.

Certain things I will only use fresh, like rosemary or tarragon.

And some things I will buy the bargain basement, $.99 jar, like granulated garlic or onion powder.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

27,494 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You can do with good basics and make your own mixes. SO actually made a prototype wall rack herb garden for the same project. Plastic containers save on weight.
I never buy mixes, I already have a cabinet full of individual spices.

That's an interesting idea, I would kinda love an easily transportable herb garden that we could hang outside...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink