U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 AM

751 posts, read 1,064,356 times

Advertisements

Happy Saturday!

A few weeks ago I canned my first batch of fresh tomatoes from the garden. I read through many different recipes and "How To's" so I thought I had it down. Most of them said it will take a while for the jars to pop, around an hour up to a whole day, but mine popped in about 15 minutes of boiling in the water bath. I thought that was crazy and left them in there to boil for another 15 to 20 minutes. They were popping open and then closed for the duration.

I added salt and lemon juice before I closed them; I cleaned and sanitized the jars twice. One jar still had some crud in it, thus going through the cleaning process twice. However, today, I found one jar had mold in it, and I don't think there's a way to fix it. I would hate to toss the whole jar out, but if I need to, to avoid getting sick, I will.

Should I toss the whole jar out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM

5,827 posts, read 3,302,475 times
Yes. All the crud should be scrubbed off the jars before you sterilize them. The lids are supposed to pop after the jars are taken out of the water and as they cool, not while you are processing them.

Make sure you are using new lids and leaving the proper air space in the jars. Keep the water at a STEADY low boil temperature until you take them out; don't let it cool down & then heat up again.

Mold can also come from the fruit itself as well as from old jars. Use only well washed fruit that is in top notch condition. Over ripe fruit is more likely to be hiding mold. Good Luck! It takes a while to master canning.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM

178 posts, read 33,143 times
Yes definitely. Throw it away.

When you write pop, do you mean the sound made when the lid vacuum seals after being removed from the boiling water bath? Or are you referring to when the jars start to release air bubbles while in the water bath? I'm a bit confused by what you wrote.

"They were popping open and then closed for the duration."

It's never taken more than 30 minutes at most for the jars to pop once i remove them from the water bath, and usually just between 10-20 minutes.

And your jars MUST be impeccably clean before being filled. There certainly shouldn't be any "crud" in them.

You need to check the rest of your jars to see if they sealed. Remove the rings and look at the lid. It should be indented and you shouldn't be able to press it down in the middle with finger pressure. It also should be firmly adhered to the jar. Use your fingernail and see if you can lift it up with minimal effort. It should take a lot of effort to get the lid off and you'll hear the sound of the vacuum breaking if it is sealed properly.

I'm guessing this is your first time canning anything? The Ball website is a good place to go for information. You need to be extremely careful with home canning and get information from reliable sources. There is a lot of sketchy information floating around on the internet.

Another little tip, loosen the rings on your jars once they have cooled and sealed. You do this because if you've got a bad seal and the contents start to ferment and give off gas, your jar well eventually explode. Loosening the ring allows the gas to escape before you have a huge mess and will also alert your nose there is something wrong.

Oh, you also have to use new lids each time. You can reuse rings, but not the lids.

Last edited by Medtran49; 09-22-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 10:24 AM

751 posts, read 1,064,356 times
Thank for confirming and the tips! I have canned before, but I can say, I'm still an amateur. I have canned homemade tomato sauce for spaghetti, but I haven't canned tomatoes from a garden.

Where I think I failed is with one of the old jars. I moved into a house earlier this year and found a box in the garage full of Ball jars. They were dusty and dirty, but like I said, I cleaned my new jar and the old jar twice; washing them out with soup and then sanitizing them in boiling water (x2). The old jar probably still had crap in it, even after cleaning them. I also low boiled the tomatoes for about an hour.

I found one way online that heated the jars in the oven at 250, but this method removed the water bath procedure, and letting the jars of food sit upside down. By the next day, the lids will pop. The common ingredients I noticed with all of them is adding salt (optional) and adding a tablespoon of lemon juice, or another form of acid. I did both.

I did put the jars in the oven, but I still boiled the jars on a low boil, and in about 20 minutes, the lids popped. I kept them in the water bath for about 15 to 20 minutes more, until the fruit inside started to boil.

I opened the bad jar today and it was well sealed. Anyways, out of two jars, one went bad. While I'm afraid to use the other jar, I'm going to boil the jar first, with the tomatoes in it, and then add it to my dinner later tonight. Just to be sure.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM

17,419 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Yes definitely. Throw it away.

When you write pop, do you mean the sound made when the lid vacuum seals after being removed from the boiling water bath? Or are you referring to when the jars start to release air bubbles while in the water bath? I'm a bit confused by what you wrote.

"They were popping open and then closed for the duration."

It's never taken more than 30 minutes at most for the jars to pop once i remove them from the water bath, and usually just between 10-20 minutes.

And your jars MUST be impeccably clean before being filled. There certainly shouldn't be any "crud" in them.

You need to check the rest of your jars to see if they sealed. Remove the rings and look at the lid. It should be indented and you shouldn't be able to press it down in the middle with finger pressure. It also should be firmly adhered to the jar. Use your fingernail and see if you can lift it up with minimal effort. It should take a lot of effort to get the lid off and you'll hear the sound of the vacuum breaking if it is sealed properly.

I'm guessing this is your first time canning anything? The Ball website is a good place to go for information. You need to be extremely careful with home canning and get information from reliable sources. There is a lot of sketchy information floating around on the internet.

Another little tip, loosen the rings on your jars once they have cooled and sealed. You do this because if you've got a bad seal and the contents start to ferment and give off gas, your jar well eventually explode. Loosening the ring allows the gas to escape before you have a huge mess and will also alert your nose there is something wrong.

Oh, you also have to use new lids each time. You can reuse rings, but not the lids.

Toss it, sorry.

The above is perfect info.

There's also a book by Ortho, Canning, that I used for years. It's very important to follow directions precisely...

Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
isn't mold used for penicillin??? it may not be that bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink