Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:57 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times

Advertisements

I use different oils depending on what I'm cooking.

For most general cooking, I use coconut oil. I rarely deep fry anything but if I do happen to do that, I just use general corn oil - I honestly can't remember the last time I did that but I do have some corn oil in my cabinet. I use ghee sometimes, bacon grease sometimes, and sesame oil sometimes. Oh and butter. I do use olive oil occasionally too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,070,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm kind of amazed that people use oil so frequently that they can have 4 or more varieties and use them up before they go rancid! I don't use oil that much and when I do, only a couple tablespoons.
Other than the vegetable oil and olive oil we use for cooking and finishing, all other oils are kept in the refrigerator.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:05 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.
I am 56. I happen to be in just about perfect health, thank goodness. On no meds whatsoever. I eat bacon about once a week, save the grease, and use a dollop of it generally for flavor in some vegetables. I also heat up a spoonful or so in a cast iron skillet when I make cornbread. It's fabulous. When it's done baking, I slather a piece up with real butter.

I learned all that from my grandmother who died at age 87. Prior to her diagnosis of mesothelioma which spread to her bones eventually (which we believe she got because she lived in a house with asbestos siding that she tore off at one point and had replaced with MORE asbestos siding!), she had absolutely zero health issues and was on zero medications.

I think the key is moderation. Other than the bacon grease or bacon that I use in small amounts for flavoring, I don't use lard at all.

Guess what - I also eat eggs, at least 4 a week.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am 56. I happen to be in just about perfect health, thank goodness. On no meds whatsoever. I eat bacon about once a week, save the grease, and use a dollop of it generally for flavor in some vegetables. I also heat up a spoonful or so in a cast iron skillet when I make cornbread. It's fabulous. When it's done baking, I slather a piece up with real butter.

I learned all that from my grandmother who died at age 87. Prior to her diagnosis of mesothelioma which spread to her bones eventually (which we believe she got because she lived in a house with asbestos siding that she tore off at one point and had replaced with MORE asbestos siding!), she had absolutely zero health issues and was on zero medications.

I think the key is moderation. Other than the bacon grease or bacon that I use in small amounts for flavoring, I don't use lard at all.

Guess what - I also eat eggs, at least 4 a week.
Here's a dirty little secret that the food police won't tell you. HEREDITY mostly determines whether your Cholesterol levels will cause heart issues/clogged arteries or not.

Yes, what you eat/smoke "can" influence if you're going to clog your arteries BUT only by "when" NOT "if". I found this out from my Cardiologist when I had my first heart attack in my early/mid 40's. I was and have been told many times "you were going to have blocked arteries, how you lived just made it happen at 45 instead of 65".
Thank you parents...

Old 09-26-2018, 06:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm kind of amazed that people use oil so frequently that they can have 4 or more varieties and use them up before they go rancid! I don't use oil that much and when I do, only a couple tablespoons.
Oils that are solid at room temperature don't go rancid. The exception is butter, because of the high water content, so I refrigerate all my butter that isn't in the butter dish for daily use. You don't have to warm the butter for grilled sandwiches. Slice off a pat with a sharp knife, put it in the pan and put the sandwich over it. The butter will melt and brown the bread evenly.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 PM

50,170 posts, read 63,623,198 times
I’m still using canola. I started buying Aretha Frankenstein pancake mix, which calls for canola oil, and no substitutions, so, since I use very little vegetable oil anyway, that is what I use.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,137,456 times
Currently, I am using avocado oil & have used grapeseed oil as well. It's expensive, but worth it!

Old 09-30-2018, 02:23 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
Sesame oil, peanut oil, bacon grease, butter, coconut oil, and even lard when the good stuff is available. In defense of canola oil it's not all the same. It's the processing method that can make it not so good and it must be refrigerated after opening.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 PM

1,183 posts, read 703,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No. I've never had this issue, and I don't refrigerate cooking oils.

Buy a better quality oil.

Its not a "quality" issue its a canola issue. Apparently the issue is very well known in the food science industry and they've tried to fix it. People fall into a category that they can smell the "fishiness" after heating the oil or they can't. One science journal paper identifies them as, cut and paste: "1‐penten‐3‐one, 1‐octen‐3‐one" and "E,Z‐2,6‐nonadienal "

They are the culprits. Further factory processing to reduce these compounds is possible, but that's not to do with the "quality" of the oil, its simply further chemical processing.

A similar dichotomy exists between people who taste cilantro as a soap flavor and the rest of us who don't.

Who the heck refrigerates cooking oils anyway.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 703,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I used to use Canola Oil almost exclusively, and used Canola Oil Mayonnaise. Neither I nor my family ever noticed a fishy flavor. It may be one of those things similar to cilantro.
I think you are correct, its a physiological processing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink