U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM

4,109 posts, read 1,720,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Canola is the new bad? It was butter, then tampered olive oil, margarine, .... Read European reviews and coconut oil will kill you.
Exactly. It's all bonkers.

And, I can honestly say me & the ol' doc have never discussed cooking oils. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,406,679 times
I like to use lard, coconut oil, olive oil and butter, depending on what I am cooking and if frying - depending also on the temperature. I rarely fry food and especially not at very high temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've never liked canola oil as it gives me indigestion so I'll continue to use Wesson Oil, peanut oil, and roasted walnut oil, picking the best for specific dishes.
Historically, Wesson was cottonseed oil, but as of 2009 the products sold under the Wesson brand were oil mixtures that may include canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil or sunflower oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
PEanut oil is unhealthy.

I use sunflower oil
Where did you read or hear that peanut oil is unhealthy? I looked it up and couldn't find a single place that had anything negative to say about it. I'd like to see what you found out about it that makes you say it's unhealthy.

And yes, as another poster mentioned - it seems to always change - what is recommended as healthy can change almost constantly. Ugh!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
We use peanut oil or sunflower seed oil for frying. Avocado, coconut, and olive oil for cooking. Butter and bacon grease too, when the flavor profile fits. Duck or goose fat for frying potatoes. We cook so much bacon we never need to buy lard unless I'm making pastry calling for leaf lard.

We do use other nut oils for salad dressings, hazelnut, walnut, etc. Occasionally we use grape seed oil. We do not use corn, canola, vegetable, or palm oil.

ETA-we avoid soy like the plague, no soybean oil so no bottled dressings, most mayonnaise, etc. It's shocking how much processed food contains soy and/or corn ingredients.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM

17,497 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We use peanut oil or sunflower seed oil for frying. Avocado, coconut, and olive oil for cooking. Butter and bacon grease too, when the flavor profile fits. Duck or goose fat for frying potatoes. We cook so much bacon we never need to buy lard unless I'm making pastry calling for leaf lard.

We do use other nut oils for salad dressings, hazelnut, walnut, etc. Occasionally we use grape seed oil. We do not use corn, canola, vegetable, or palm oil.
Does avocado and coconut flavor the food cooked in it?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:43 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Does avocado and coconut flavor the food cooked in it?
Yes, especially the coconut oil. I did two batches of my bison chili side by side, using bacon grease for one and coconut oil for the other. The taste was remarkably different. I liked both versions but my son preferred the bacon one. My daughter made chocolate keto 'bombs' recently with coconut oil, and they have a distinct coconut undernote. I love the taste of coconut, but not everyone does. It is wonderful for popping corn as well.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,310,157 times
Quote:
Possibly....

my MD specifically told me recently to avoid it, so thought I'd see what others use. Definitely will use peanut for Asian dishes, butter, ghee, and maybe sunflower or grapeseed oil.
Did he give a reason why to avoid it? I have noticed it is slightly less in calories than regular vegetable oil, but never really researched how it is made, nor what it contains. I try to use any oil, including olive oil sparingly as they are all so high in calories, and fat, even if it is "good" fat. Same with Avocados, which are supposed to be good for you, but again VERY high in calories.

Then again, I just ate a block of cheese the size of a car battery, so...…...

Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM

5,136 posts, read 3,642,102 times
I ONLY use Grape seed oil. It is as healthy or healthier than Olive oil.

For deep frying fish, I use lard. Fattening as hell, bad as all get out for you, but for the few times we cook fish, I don't care about the calories and I want the flavour.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 AM

17,497 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Did he give a reason why to avoid it? I have noticed it is slightly less in calories than regular vegetable oil, but never really researched how it is made, nor what it contains. I try to use any oil, including olive oil sparingly as they are all so high in calories, and fat, even if it is "good" fat. Same with Avocados, which are supposed to be good for you, but again VERY high in calories.

Then again, I just ate a block of cheese the size of a car battery, so......

I'm a cheese hound too. Every day.

She did give me a reason but of course now I can't remember....
but she thought it important enough to bring it up.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:50 AM

664 posts, read 141,199 times
We used to use canola oil, but it left a strange after taste. We use vegetable, olive, grape seed, lard and one recipe for meatballs used in a banh mi calls for browning the meatballs in sesame oil. We have a good finishing olive oil that isn't used for cooking.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:44 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Quote:
Not including olive oil, what do you now use for general cooking or high temp cooking? I was using Canola until my MD recently said to avoid...
At least supply some links (reputable) explaining what's so bad about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or