U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 AM

689 posts, read 147,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.
Can't make good corn bread without bacon grease, nor can you make carnitas, tamales or refritos without lard. Maybe you should address your paranoia instead of preaching to others about what fats they use in their cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,053,820 times
Quote:
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the whole "lard is bad for you" is actually a result of a marketing campaign from Crisco when it first came out to get house wives to buy it instead.

first of all Lard is lower in saturated fat than butter and most animal fats.
It higher in heart healthy monosaturated fats and in it's natural form it has )0 trans fat.

Now I don't use it a lot because I only deep fry two things chicken and shrimp. LOL sorry I'm committing hari kari before giving up friend chicken.

I am 58 years old and have been cooking with lard my entire life coming from an old fashion southern black family. I have absolutely no medical issues, no one in my family has sugar diabetes. My father died at 87 from natural causes, did not suffer from a darn thing outside of arthritis. His older sister just weather hurricane florence at 100 years young.

personally I think the chemicals and preservatives are way worst than cooking oils.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 AM

3,160 posts, read 3,221,468 times
Vegetable Oil (Great Value) from Walmart. It is Soyabean oil basically.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM

647 posts, read 518,704 times
All those scared of Canola oil- hold your breath.

We use Mustard oil- yes the same oil that has 40-45% erucic acid, and is supposed to destroy your heart. I am in my mid thirties and have a really healthy/ strong heart, according to my health check-up report which I received 3 months ago, so it seems to have worked out for me.

Heck my dad is 70+ and can outwalk many men in their 40's, so he is not doing bad either.

Moral: Eat what your ancestors have eaten for years, after accounting for the difference in lifestyle.

Last edited by nirvana07; 09-24-2018 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Can't make good corn bread without bacon grease, nor can you make carnitas, tamales or refritos without lard. Maybe you should address your paranoia instead of preaching to others about what fats they use in their cooking.
Gpod for you. Of course if we eat lard or bacon grease daily we might develop health problems but once every couple of weeks, for heaven's sake people, lighten up a bit. And I don't know about you, but when I do use bacon grease I use only a little bit.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 3,221,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
All those scared of Canola oil- hold your breath.

We use Mustard oil- yes the same oil that has 40-45% erucic acid, and is supposed to destroy your heart. I am in my mid thirties and have a really healthy/ strong heart, according to my health check-up report which I received 3 months ago, so it seems to have worked out for me.

Heck my dad is 70+ and can outwalk many men in their 40's, so he is not doing bad either.

Moral: Eat what your ancestors have eaten for years, after accounting for the difference in lifestyle.

Interesting. Can we get Mustard Oil in supermarkets here in USA or Europe?

I have seen Mustard Oil being used in Indian cuisine like Fish Curry or Pickles !!!

Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 AM

20,230 posts, read 28,345,414 times
I'm surprised no mention of Safflower Oil. It's my cooking oil of choice with a higher smokepoint than most, has no flavor transfer and many health benefits. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322245.php Target carries the high-quality Spectrum brand at an affordable price, around $7-$8 for a 16 oz bottle.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Almost 82 if that makes a difference: we use canola oil and I do use some bacon grease. A lot no, but I do use it. I also use lard in some of my Christmas baking. So far am I on meds? Of course, but all I am on is is Thyroid and a very low dose of blood pressure meds. I feel good for my age, am active and our home health nurse, which comes once a year is amazed at how few meds we take, So, I guess not all of us have problems because we do eat some heavy fats once in awhile. I also drink a couple of glasses of wine a day, sometimes 3 and my liver is fine. Has anyone ever told you: everything in moderation. We rarely eat fast foods and we eat very few processed food. Yet, I am not saying "never"

Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gpod for you. Of course if we eat lard or bacon grease daily we might develop health problems but once every couple of weeks, for heaven's sake people, lighten up a bit. And I don't know about you, but when I do use bacon grease I use only a little bit.
thank you nmnita.

I have a variety of oils and greased for a variety of different cooking. I love steamed or sauteed string beans, sautee them in a dash of bacon grease for a delicious taste.

lol, I swear by lard for the best pie crust but really how often am I whipping a homemade fruit pie? maybe twice a year if my family is lucky.

I really think that's why many folks are turned off my health advocates, we take simple things and blow them waaay out of portion

Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm surprised no mention of Safflower Oil. It's my cooking oil of choice with a higher smokepoint than most, has no flavor transfer and many health benefits. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322245.php Target carries the high-quality Spectrum brand at an affordable price, around $7-$8 for a 16 oz bottle.
thanks for the tip. I had never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or