U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM

673 posts, read 142,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Almost 82 if that makes a difference: we use canola oil and I do use some bacon grease. A lot no, but I do use it. I also use lard in some of my Christmas baking. So far am I on meds? Of course, but all I am on is is Thyroid and a very low dose of blood pressure meds. I feel good for my age, am active and our home health nurse, which comes once a year is amazed at how few meds we take, So, I guess not all of us have problems because we do eat some heavy fats once in awhile. I also drink a couple of glasses of wine a day, sometimes 3 and my liver is fine. Has anyone ever told you: everything in moderation. We rarely eat fast foods and we eat very few processed food. Yet, I am not saying "never"
Define "glass".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:20 AM

11,071 posts, read 11,478,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.
It's all in what you are cooking. If you are making pie crust or biscuits, use lard. If you are popping popcorn, use coconut oil. If you are frying eggs or potatoes, use bacon grease. If you are baking cookies, use butter. For Asian cooking, sesame oil has great flavor. For tempura, any vegetable oil, but I use canola.

If you really want to load your arteries, try a pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni is about 40% fat, the cheese is about 80% fat, and the crust is suspiciously brown.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 AM

800 posts, read 180,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.

You need to get updated on lard, butter and other previously villainized but since exculpated cooking ingredients.

Doesn't anyone else get an odd fishy aroma from heated canola oil? Stopped using it the first time we tried due to that.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM

647 posts, read 517,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Interesting. Can we get Mustard Oil in supermarkets here in USA or Europe?

I have seen Mustard Oil being used in Indian cuisine like Fish Curry or Pickles !!!
You will find it in every Indian grocery store. Of course, it will have "For external use only" printed on it, because FDA requires that label due to high percentage of erucic acid.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You need to get updated on lard, butter and other previously villainized but since exculpated cooking ingredients.

Doesn't anyone else get an odd fishy aroma from heated canola oil? Stopped using it the first time we tried due to that.

I'm not the only one:
https://www.chowhound.com/post/peopl...shyness-532212

Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,940,245 times
Quote:
The fishy smell is the oil going rancid.

Canola, vegetable, corn oils are the absolute WORST things you can use for several reasons. All of these oils turn to trans fat when heated and are highly inflammatory. Heat and chemical solvents are used to extract the oil from these seeds. It is not a natural process by any means. I won't even mention the GMO/pesticides used on these crops which is a whole other story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BigpBa_9g&t=178s

Stop Using Canola Oil Immediately! 6 Canola Oil Dangers

FYI: There is no such thing as a Canola plant but they do clearly mention that in this video.

How It's Made - Canola Oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk2IXlZdbI

Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,803,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I reread the OP, and she did ask about high-temp cooking. I rarely have any reason to need an oil that requires a high temperature. I'm not going to be frying stuff.
If you don't need oil to fry, what do people use oil for -- to put on salads? I ask because my main reason to use oil is to sautee or fry vegetables or meats.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The fishy smell is the oil going rancid.

Canola, vegetable, corn oils are the absolute WORST things you can use for several reasons. All of these oils turn to trans fat when heated and are highly inflammatory. Heat and chemical solvents are used to extract the oil from these seeds. It is not a natural process by any means. I won't even mention the GMO/pesticides used on these crops which is a whole other story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BigpBa_9g&t=178s

Stop Using Canola Oil Immediately! 6 Canola Oil Dangers

FYI: There is no such thing as a Canola plant but they do clearly mention that in this video.

How It's Made - Canola Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk2IXlZdbI

No its not, it only arises on cooking. Its got nothing to do with being rancid. Its heat degradation products - I see now there is quite a lot of information on it - and only some people can smell it.

The GMO nonsense is irrelevant. Every crop you eat is genetically modified compared to the crop 2,000 years ago. Canola oil comes from cultivars selected and crossbred (ie a gene change selected for and intervened upon by the hand of man) by University of Manitoba horticultural scientists in the 70s.

You are correct there is no such thing as Canola plant - its a North American name for oil from particular rapeseed plants coined from CANadian Oil Low Acid.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 AM

17,678 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
No its not, it only arises on cooking. Its got nothing to do with being rancid. Its heat degradation products - I see now there is quite a lot of information on it - and only some people can smell it.

The GMO nonsense is irrelevant. Every crop you eat is genetically modified compared to the crop 2,000 years ago. Canola oil comes from cultivars selected and crossbred (ie a gene change selected for and intervened upon by the hand of man) by University of Manitoba horticultural scientists in the 70s.

You are correct there is no such thing as Canola plant - its a North American name for oil from particular rapeseed plants coined from CANadian Oil Low Acid.

Thanks....now I see why my MD asked me to stop using it.
She recommended butter...

Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,940,245 times
Quote:

Whatever, the GMO is not nonsense. I couldn't care less about the GMO, I DO care about herbicides, specifically glyphosate and it IS irrelevant to me because I don't use it anyway. You can go ahead and eat it all you want, nobody is stopping you.

As for how healthy canola oil is, take a look at the 2nd video I linked to if you care to. You will see for yourself how it's made or even better this article. They use a chemical solvent called Hexane. By the way, corn and vegetable oils are made using a similar process.

How Canola Oil is Made

Quote:
Overview of how Canola Oil is made:
--Once the rapeseed is collected, magnetized rods attempt to remove any foreign metal that may have been introduced into the collection of seed.
--Afterwards, a 60+ minute wash of a hexane solvent.
--After the hexane wash is complete, a wash of sodium hydroxide is performed.
--The “natural” waxes are collected and used to aid in the creation of vegetable shortening.
--Bleach is then introduced to lighten the cloudy color of the processed oil.
--Steam injection is then applied to remove the bitter smell
Mmmm doesn't that sound appetizing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or