Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 AM

936 posts, read 823,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Butter and bacon grease. yum

I never cared for canola oil. My favorite cooking oils are clarified butter, peanut oil, and grape seed oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Define "glass".
It is similar to plastic but is breakable.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I use avocado oil mostly. I also use olive oil for lower temp things. I sometimes use coconut oil or bacon grease, but not as much as avocado and olive.
Avocado oil is out of my budget. Otherwise we would use it more.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Doesn't anyone else get an odd fishy aroma from heated canola oil? Stopped using it the first time we tried due to that.
It's not just from heating or from being "rancid" as Canola Oil Mayonnaise has that same fishy flavor as I discovered once while ruining a perfectly good (and highly craved) egg salad.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Avocado oil is out of my budget. Otherwise we would use it more.
Costco here in Southern California carries it at an affordable price.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not just from heating or from being "rancid" as Canola Oil Mayonnaise has that same fishy flavor as I discovered once while ruining a perfectly good (and highly craved) egg salad.

I used to use Canola Oil almost exclusively, and used Canola Oil Mayonnaise. Neither I nor my family ever noticed a fishy flavor. It may be one of those things similar to cilantro.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Smoking Points of Fats and Oils:
Based on the above classification, the ideal cooking oil should contain higher amounts of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, with a minimal or no saturated fats and trans fats. Different fats and oils have different uses. Each performs best within a certain range of temperature. Some are made for high heat cooking, while others have intense flavors that are best enjoyed by drizzling directly on food.

The smoke point of an oil or fat is the temperature at which it gives off smoke. The smoke point of oil depends to a very large extent on its purity and age at the time of measurement. A simple rule of thumb is that the lighter the color of the oil, the higher its smoke point. When frying, it is important to choose an oil with a very high smoking point. Most foods are fried between the temperatures of 350-450 degrees Fahrenheit so it is best to choose an oil with a smoking point above 400 degrees.

The table in the following link gives you smoke points and other good information about cooking oils.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Info...ngOilTypes.htm

Old 09-25-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Costco here in Southern California carries it at an affordable price.
thanks, I will try pricing it at Sam's. WE do not have Costco darn it: We live in Walton land. Anything that would interfere with Wallmart is off limits. I am not knocking WalMart by any mans. They have done a lot for the community, and the country. More that many realize, but it does get a little tiring, knowing we are limited because of their presence.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks, I will try pricing it at Sam's. WE do not have Costco darn it: We live in Walton land. Anything that would interfere with Wallmart is off limits. I am not knocking WalMart by any mans. They have done a lot for the community, and the country. More that many realize, but it does get a little tiring, knowing we are limited because of their presence.
I just bought a liter at Sam's a couple of weeks ago. It's $7.99.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/avocad...rod22045440.ip

I also use
EVOO but never heat it, raw only for salad dressings and to top dishes.
Organic Coconut oil for certain dishes and stir fries
Butter for eggs

Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
You will find it in every Indian grocery store. Of course, it will have "For external use only" printed on it, because FDA requires that label due to high percentage of erucic acid.

Thanks. I saw Dabur Bottle in indian store. I used to think that it is strictly for hair as some Indians do use it for those purposes. I will use it for cooking. Rohu Fish in Mustard oil was my childhood favorite dish !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink