U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:01 PM

5,330 posts, read 7,665,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My husband orders them all over. PNW and Minnesota this year.
But I hardly think it's representative of California.

I've noticed "California Sandwich" or salad or pizza on several menus in the Midwest. They're not the same from place to place, and sometimes I can't figure out why they would be called California anything. One California salad was iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and peanuts. I could see almonds...
I have found in the Midwest any wrap, omelette, sandwich or salad that contains avocado is listed on the menu as “California.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 PM

28,191 posts, read 43,477,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
California has the French dip au jus...excellent choice. I was worried they were going to use some 'precious' vegan concoction with alfalfa sprouts or micro-greens on a sprouted spelt flatbread, which literally no one I know would even touch.

Time to pay a visit to Philippe's. The original since 1908.
Yeah, I was expecting ours (CA) to be something with avocado & kale... lol.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:28 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hoagies originated in PHILADELPHIA, not New Jersey, as did the Cheesesteak. Jersey has no culture of its own just NYC in the north, and Philly in the south. And it is not "Taylor Ham". It is Taylor Pork Roll, and is also a Philly thing, which bled over into Jersey like everything else. Again, nothing original in Jersey.
There's ME. I'm original, and I'm from NJ.

People in North Jersey don't call them hoagies, so there.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I have found in the Midwest any wrap, omelette, sandwich or salad that contains avocado is listed on the menu as “California.”
Hahaha, that is true. I never ate avocado until I was in my 50s. It was a completely foreign thing to me, and it took a few times trying it to get past the mushy texture and resist the urge to spit it out. Fortunately, it doesn't taste like much and so it can be seasoned and the mushiness put to use as a spread. It is definitely associated with California. Most people on the east coast didn't eat avocados until relatively recently, and you wouldn't find them in produce sections in a normal supermarket. My mother is almost 90 and I doubt she has ever had avocado. Now they are sold everywhere.

Twenty, thirty years ago, what you would invariably hear from people who visited California was that it was beautiful, but that the food wasn't good. I think it took a long time for some of those flavors to grow on people who weren't used to them.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM

5,182 posts, read 3,003,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Apparently we're "funny that way" about our view of far off places. Several here have said that the Denver sandwich is not familiar to them in Colorado but in southern MN we did eat a thing called a Denver sandwich as described.

It was a good way to use up left-over ham when you didn't have enough for filling the sandwiches. Ours didn't have minced onion but rather minced green pepper.

I never could figure out why they called it a Denver sandwich. It's interesting to see the reference to egg foo yung and mining camps.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,591,173 times
Quote:
Hoagies originated in PHILADELPHIA, not New Jersey, as did the Cheesesteak. Jersey has no culture of its own just NYC in the north, and Philly in the south. And it is not "Taylor Ham". It is Taylor Pork Roll, and is also a Philly thing, which bled over into Jersey like everything else. Again, nothing original in Jersey.

'Philly'
is the worst example of any food in the nation. 'Cheesesteak?' LOL! Please! Philly food is garbage...'wit!'.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 AM

13,434 posts, read 7,315,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

'Philly'
is the worst example of any food in the nation. 'Cheesesteak?' LOL! Please! Philly food is garbage...'wit!'.
Soft pretzels, and SCRAPPLE also. You must have them both. Extra floor sweepings in the Scrapple for you!

Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM

22,722 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:

'Philly'
My son orders his with provolone. A good cheesesteak is really good, and a bad one is something that you give to the dog.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 PM

905 posts, read 814,626 times
Quote:

Taylor Pork Roll... created by John Taylor, in 1856.. from Hamilton Square, NJ... my hometown... it certainly WAS created in NJ...

Old Today, 01:18 PM

66 posts, read 9,295 times
Quote:

'Philly'
A properly done Philly is great. And Philly has great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or