U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 AM

5,324 posts, read 7,661,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Now that I think of it, I haven't see French Dip sandwich on the menu outside of California.
Arbyís offers French Dip sandwich nationwide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:45 AM

3,128 posts, read 1,219,723 times
I couldn't get the original link to work right, here's a version all on one page.

https://www.delish.com/food/g1208/be...wich-shops-us/

I like to try local foods when I travel, I'll have to bookmark the list.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,219,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Now that I think of it, I haven't see French Dip sandwich on the menu outside of California.
My husband orders them all over. PNW and Minnesota this year.
But I hardly think it's representative of California.

I've noticed "California Sandwich" or salad or pizza on several menus in the Midwest. They're not the same from place to place, and sometimes I can't figure out why they would be called California anything. One California salad was iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and peanuts. I could see almonds...

Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 PM

7,586 posts, read 10,391,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have to disagree regarding the Cubano for Florida. While it's a big thing in Miami and sort of bastardized in most areas, I wouldn't say it's reflective of the state in general, and would argue that the Grouper Sandwich is more an iconic option.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/flor...r-sandwich-fl/
Cubanos are all over Jacksonville. The only sandwich on the list that's really bad is the "hot brown" from Kentucky. Awful!!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 809,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Minnesota - walleye sandwich?

I don't think so...

Uh-uh. It's the Jucy Lucy, hands down.

The Best Juicy Lucy Burgers in the Twin Cities - Mpls.St.Paul Magazine

[I'm not saying they're the best, but they are iconic. Walleye sandwich? Not so much.]

PS - It's Jucy Lucy, not 'Juicy' Lucy!
Yep.

And a whole bunch of imitations at non-chain burger places all over the state as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, it's all over the east coast...

NC sandwich likely pulled pork BBQ
Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis all have local chains that serve a French dip sandwich.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

714 posts, read 329,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Cubanos are all over Jacksonville. The only sandwich on the list that's really bad is the "hot brown" from Kentucky. Awful!!
I liked the hot brown the one time I tried it. Itís a heavy sandwich though, kind of the poutine of the sandwich world. As is, I might add, the horseshoe sandwich from Springfield, IL. Get ready for nap after either of these.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM

10,126 posts, read 16,721,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My husband orders them all over. PNW and Minnesota this year.
But I hardly think it's representative of California.

I've noticed "California Sandwich" or salad or pizza on several menus in the Midwest. They're not the same from place to place, and sometimes I can't figure out why they would be called California anything. One California salad was iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and peanuts. I could see almonds...
I was born and raised in California. For me, the California sandwich should be a BLAT (Bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato).

Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Yep.

And a whole bunch of imitations at non-chain burger places all over the state as well.
Yes, I think the original Jucy Lucy too. I do like a good walleye sandwich but you can't always be sure you're getting the real deal.

Thanks, Steiconi, for a more user-friendly version.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM

14,940 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
California has the French dip au jus...excellent choice..
I am just glad the author described the French dip as "served au jus" and not served with au jus, or worse, with au jus sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Arby’s offers French Dip sandwich nationwide.
And nearly every diner and many restaurant sandwich menus I have seen from the Northeast to the Southwest since at least the late 80s. If this was invented in LA, then kudos. It is one of my favorite sandwiches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Ohio - seen the polish sausage in Cleveland but it is hardly widespread.
Never seen a Polish Boy across most of the southern half of the state. Is it iconic? Maybe in Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I understand why they went with the green chile cheeseburger for New Mexico, but they could've easily picked the Albuquerque turkey sandwich. It's usually made with turkey, green chile, cheese, avocado and bacon. It's really the only sandwich unique to New Mexico, apart from a burger.
Agree. The Albuquerque Turkey is nearly as widespread as the GCCB. Maybe it is not as iconic, but its deserves some credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or