U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 03:59 PM

30,464 posts, read 9,103,558 times

Advertisements

LOL I'm going to look at 51 slides?

The Most Iconic Sandwich from Every State-images.jpeg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 PM

2,336 posts, read 591,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m from Rhode Island-influenced coastal Massachusetts 30 miles east of Providence. A submarine sandwich is called a grinder.
Yep. Grinders.

Quote:
For Massachusetts, I’m going to have to go with the Fluffernutter. Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff spread on mass market white bread. It always brings back the kid Saturday morning TV advertising jungle “when you en-joy joy joy, your fluff and peanut butter, be glad you have enough for another Fluffernutter”. Not exactly haute cuisine.
I don't like fluff, but my sister would take a Fluffernutter to school every single day when we were kids. Her Fluffernutters would include grape jelly -- basically a PB&J with fluff.

Quote:
My personal signature sandwich is the lobster roll. A New England-style hot dog bun grilled on both sides in butter. Lobster meat, a small amount of Hellmans mayo to bind it together, fresh squeezed lemon to adjust the acid balance.
This list got it right for RI with the hot wieners, but a strong argument could be made for Italian grinders, meatball grinders, or lobster rolls. The lobster rolls here are either with butter (Connecticut style) or with mayo (Maine style).

In several areas of RI (and southeastern MA), the signature sandwich is definitely Chourico & Peppers.

And while currently outdated, for many decades the signature sandwich in Fall River, MA was the Chow Mein Sandwich.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:39 AM

11,345 posts, read 5,858,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yep. Grinders.

I don't like fluff, but my sister would take a Fluffernutter to school every single day when we were kids. Her Fluffernutters would include grape jelly -- basically a PB&J with fluff.

This list got it right for RI with the hot wieners, but a strong argument could be made for Italian grinders, meatball grinders, or lobster rolls. The lobster rolls here are either with butter (Connecticut style) or with mayo (Maine style).

In several areas of RI (and southeastern MA), the signature sandwich is definitely Chourico & Peppers.

And while currently outdated, for many decades the signature sandwich in Fall River, MA was the Chow Mein Sandwich.
Hoo Mee chow mein noodles from Fall River in a hamburger bun with that nasty corn starch thickened MSG sauce with boiled chicken, celery, and bean sprouts in it. The bad Chinese place 1/2 mile from my summer house has it. No thanks. Yep. That’s something you won’t find anywhere else in the country. The local grocery stores carry those Hoo Mee chow mein noodles next to La Choy canned chicken chow mein. I’m wondering if people make those sandwiches at home? I had a bowl of them last night at the Chinese place as a garnish for hot & sour soup. They make a good bar crunchy.

It’s not a sandwich but linguica & cheese roll is really common in New Bedford. Thin sliced mild linguica and cheese baked into a Portuguese roll. The local version of a hot pocket.

I use spicy linguica and onion/garlic/peppers as the base for my shrimp Mozambique. The local Portuguese deli where I source my linguica makes their own. They say the only difference between their spicy linguica vs chourico is pork sausage case vs beef sausage case. They sell both mild and spicy chourico. Chourico & peppers on a Portuguese roll sounds really good. Grilled linguica on a Portuguese roll with mustard is a pretty common back yard bbq food. The peppers makes me think of the food carts outside Fenway Park with Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:39 PM

714 posts, read 329,602 times
Quote:
Hoo Mee chow mein noodles from Fall River in a hamburger bun with that nasty corn starch thickened MSG sauce with boiled chicken, celery, and bean sprouts in it. The bad Chinese place 1/2 mile from my summer house has it. No thanks. Yep. That’s something you won’t find anywhere else in the country.
You can get chow mein sandwiches (though they call them “chop suey sandwiches”) in season in Salem, MA at Salem Willows. In fact, two places sell them, Salem Lowe and Genghis China. I’ve tried them at both and prefer the former. When you order them, they offer it either in a styrofoam clamshell container or wrapped in wax paper. I wisely chose the former — no idea how anyone can eat these gooey things half-wrapped in wax paper.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM

54,200 posts, read 38,256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Two clicks and I saw Italian Hoagie for New Jersey. That sounds about right.

I might go with a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a Hard 'Kaiser' Roll.

Or, maybe a 'ripper' from here: http://www.ruttshut.com/

Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 AM

381 posts, read 74,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have to disagree regarding the Cubano for Florida. While it's a big thing in Miami and sort of bastardized in most areas, I wouldn't say it's reflective of the state in general, and would argue that the Grouper Sandwich is more an iconic option.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/flor...r-sandwich-fl/
According to Southern Living - it's a tie between the Cuban Sandwich and a Fried Grouper Sandwich.

Source: https://www.southernliving.com/dish/...ate-sandwiches

I live in SE Florida, so I love them both. But I believe that I actually make a better Cuban sandwich and better black beans than I've had on Calle Ocho in Miami!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:05 AM

15,646 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Denver omelette? Sure, that's a thing. But the Denver sandwich? Not a thing.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
According to Southern Living - it's a tie between the Cuban Sandwich and a Fried Grouper Sandwich.

Source: https://www.southernliving.com/dish/...ate-sandwiches

I live in SE Florida, so I love them both. But I believe that I actually make a better Cuban sandwich and better black beans than I've had on Calle Ocho in Miami!

Care to share some secrets? I used to work a few doors away from a Cuban grandmother's luncheonette and I lived (happily!) on Cuban sandwiches!

One thing I do when I make them, is grate a fresh garlic clove on a fine MicroPlane, mix it with a little olive oil and then with the yellow mustard I use on the sandwich.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 PM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I might go with a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a Hard 'Kaiser' Roll.

Or, maybe a 'ripper' from here: Rutt's Hut | Home of the Ripper!
I can't disagree with the pork roll, egg, and cheese, but it's usually a breakfast sandwich.

I've never been to Rutt's Hut, but I did once go to Hot Dog Johnny's.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I can't disagree with the pork roll, egg, and cheese, but it's usually a breakfast sandwich.
I just went with that because Taylor Ham is such a Jersey thing, although I can get it here in coastal NC.

Quote:
I've never been to Rutt's Hut, but I did once go to Hot Dog Johnny's.
I used to do a lot of motorcycling around NJ and PA, we didn't consider it officially summer until the first ride to Hot Dog Johnny's, hard to pass up a ride to scenic Buttzville. It wasn't a great ride to Rutt's (less than 10 miles from my house) but I liked the dogs more.

Last edited by burdell; 10-04-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or