U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:57 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,178,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to burdell again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I might go with a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a Hard 'Kaiser' Roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't disagree with the pork roll, egg, and cheese, but it's usually a breakfast sandwich.
It was one of my father's and my favorite things. He made the pork roll. I made the eggs (always scrambled) and sliced the hard rolls. We usually ate it for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday, while my mother would make pancakes and bacon for her and my brother. Three of us at the stove at the same time: good times.

Though I could order a pork roll sandwich (I never heard of "Taylor Ham" until sometime in the 2000s, courtesy of the internet) at any diner along Rts. 22, 1, or 9, I would generally get a cheeseburger, something no one made well at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 AM

13,439 posts, read 7,315,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was surprised that New Jersey wasn't the Taylor ham, cheese, and egg on a hard roll. That's the "Jersey breakfast".

However, I happened to see the rerun of the Anthony Bourdain episode where he was at the shore and in Camden just last night, and he had an Italian sub. In this article, they pick the "Italian hoagie" as the NJ sandwich, and I bet they got the idea from that show. The fact that they call it a hoagie and not a sub is a dead giveaway that their resource is South Jersey.

Subs are good, but a Taylor ham sandwich says NJ.
Hoagies originated in PHILADELPHIA, not New Jersey, as did the Cheesesteak. Jersey has no culture of its own just NYC in the north, and Philly in the south. And it is not "Taylor Ham". It is Taylor Pork Roll, and is also a Philly thing, which bled over into Jersey like everything else. Again, nothing original in Jersey.

Last edited by Pilot1; 10-04-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 06:24 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,178,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hoagies originated in PHILADELPHIA, not New Jersey, as did the Cheesesteak. Jersey has no culture of its onw just NYC in the north, and Philly in the south. And it is not "Taylor Ham". It is Taylor Pork Roll, and is also a Philly thing, which bled over into Jersey like everything else. Again, nothing original in Jersey.
I grew up in the 201 area code back when it and 609 were the only two, and I never heard of the hoagie until I went to college in Pittsburgh in the 1970s. In North Jersey, it was called a sub sandwich, and it was basically Italian cold cuts with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions, dried oregano, and oil and vinegar. It was never served hot, like the Pittsburgh hoagie. The bread was room temp, the cold cuts cold.

I never heard of Taylor Ham until 2007 or so, when I read about it on the internet. We called it "pork roll" in my part of New Jersey, like it said on the package. It was not a Philly thing, literally, as it originated in Hamilton Square, NJ (though that's very much in the old 609).

I used to think the state of New York should have annexed the 201 area code, the state of Pennsylvania the 609. Being from New Jersey was like not having an identity of your own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 AM

5,060 posts, read 606,326 times
I thought the list was good overall, but I have lived in Colorado for 30 years, and I have never EVER seen a Denver (omelet) sandwich, and I think even the idea of it is revolting.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 AM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Hoagies originated in PHILADELPHIA, not New Jersey, as did the Cheesesteak. Jersey has no culture of its own just NYC in the north, and Philly in the south. And it is not "Taylor Ham". It is Taylor Pork Roll, and is also a Philly thing, which bled over into Jersey like everything else. Again, nothing original in Jersey.
Hoagies did originate in Philadelphia, but the hero, sub, grinder, wedge, Italian sandwich, and anything else they're called launched in other places.

Pork Roll was originally called Taylor's Prepared Ham and changed to Pork roll around 1906. I guess people can blame their granny for not using the new name.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 AM

54,200 posts, read 38,256,957 times
Quote:

Uh, it comes from Trenton NJ.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:23 AM

15,646 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I thought the list was good overall, but I have lived in Colorado for 30 years, and I have never EVER seen a Denver (omelet) sandwich, and I think even the idea of it is revolting.
Thank you! Whose fevered imagination gave rise to that abomination?

Oh, wait...

Denver sandwich

So, it's not actually from Denver and has nothing to do with the omelette. Go figure.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM

54,200 posts, read 38,256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It was one of my father's and my favorite things. He made the pork roll. I made the eggs (always scrambled) and sliced the hard rolls. We usually ate it for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday, while my mother would make pancakes and bacon for her and my brother. Three of us at the stove at the same time: good times.
Oh yeah, the memories those foods still evoke are every bit as good as the food itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Though I could order a pork roll sandwich (I never heard of "Taylor Ham" until sometime in the 2000s, courtesy of the internet) at any diner along Rts. 22, 1, or 9, I would generally get a cheeseburger, something no one made well at home.
Oh there were some wonderful diners along those roads along with the ol' Tick Tock on Rt3.

One thing I really miss, if you'd been to the shore and caught a bunch of whiting, there were smokehouses along 1 & 9 on the way home that would take 2 or 3 (I forget which) of your fresh caught fish and give you a smoked one in return. Great snack with an icy beer or two.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,153,831 times
Quote:
How prophetic!!!!

I was just talking to my co-workers today about Taylor Pork Roll. I work as a cook in a high school cafeteria, and we were talking about the foods we ate at our own schools growing up. I grew up in the Eastern part of PA. (I now live and work in Western PA). A Taylor Pork Roll sandwich was a staple at our school...it was served on a hamburger bun and called a "Smokey Burger". M friends here remember eating fried bologna sandwiches.

My favorite cheese steak sandwich was from a now defunct Berks County sandwich shop of my youth..."V and S". It was one of the foods that cured DH of being a vegetarian. I ate them four to five times a week, and introduced DH. After we moved away, we got them twice a year on visits until the shop closed. Best Italian Sandwiches, too (this is what they were called, now it would be called a "sub"). "What do you want for supper?" "Let's get EYE-talian sandwiches!)

Here in Western PA? They like kielbasa and kraut, but I'll pass.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:25 PM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
You don't like kielbasa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or