U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 AM

9,524 posts, read 13,362,525 times

Advertisements

Wondering if maybe she's having financial difficulties? Not that it excuses the behavior, but it might explain it.
Head her off at the pass next time. "Mary, I know how much you like my special dish so I set aside a plate for you to take home with you to enjoy later!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,008,564 times
I often send food home with guests and deliberately make extra for them and us. But I can think of only two or three non-family members who have been friends for so long that they could get away with this without me feeling that they were being rude and taking advantage of my hospitality.

I'm a most generous cook but in this case I'd be tempted to say that we were saving it for leftovers. Rude behavior is high on my list of pet peeves.

That's so dear of you, Jambo, to make a meal for your wife and a friend!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 AM

33,159 posts, read 39,134,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

That's so dear of you, Jambo, to make a meal for your wife and a friend!
i've been doing all the cooking in our family for over 40 years, its something i enjoy.
The guest was loading up her containers when i was out of the room so it would have been awkward to admonish the woman at that point.
My wifes take on the issue is i should take it as a compliment that she liked the food so much she wanted to take home as much as possible.My take is our cheap guest just got a free meal and 2 free meals to go.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i've been doing all the cooking in our family for over 40 years, its something i enjoy.
The guest was loading up her containers when i was out of the room so it would have been awkward to admonish the woman at that point.
My wifes take on the issue is i should take it as a compliment that she liked the food so much she wanted to take home as much as possible.My take is our cheap guest just got a free meal and 2 free meals to go.
I think you are completely right. We have a grand daughter who doesn't eat left overs, nor do her kids or her husband. It i a family joke, Nita and Pat will gladly take them home and of course we will but never have we asked to take something home.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:52 AM

21,475 posts, read 22,729,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Seems kind of rude. Why did you give her two containers rather than one? I agree with the above advice that you should be the one to fill the container next time lol.
Right, where did she get the containers? If you don't want her to take all the food, don't provide her with means to take all the food. Give her a small container.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
From now on, only serve something that you cook in portions: hamburgers, one patty per person, pork chops, one chop per person, and if she wants to take home all the leftover mashed potatoes, it isn't a huge loss. Chicken, cook one piece per person. No leftovers. If you are going to make meatloaf, make a small one

I can see taking home what isn't eaten on one's plate, but it is really out of line to ask for more food. Taking home leftovers from a private home is by invitation only.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,412,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Someone made a thread about this exact topic a year or so ago.
I remember reading that thread. IIRC - in that case, the rude guest actually brought their own containers from home - they were quite large and they filled them up!

Totally RUDE! Both situations - hard to comprehend how rude and inconsiderate some people can be at times.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM

2,096 posts, read 975,635 times
Next time you're at their house, help yourself to some bath linens.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,008,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
From now on, only serve something that you cook in portions: hamburgers, one patty per person, pork chops, one chop per person, and if she wants to take home all the leftover mashed potatoes, it isn't a huge loss. Chicken, cook one piece per person. No leftovers. If you are going to make meatloaf, make a small one
Doesn't that seem a little stingy? I want my guests to enjoy the food so much that there will be second helpings in case anyone wants another. No one should leave my table wanting more. I'd be embarrassed.

If a person can't afford to serve more than one helping I think most observant guests can assume that and still enjoy the meal.

We once were invited to a dinner where the hostess announced before passing the meatballs around exactly how many meatballs there were per person. That floored me. Polite guests can and should make a quick estimate and serve themselves accordingly. To be told how many I could have implied I wasn't polite or smart enough to figure it out on my own.

All of this just demonstrates how complicated and unspoken our habits of courtesy can be. It can be a real landmine for people who aren't in the know, I guess.

That's why I love to have our closest friends at the table and throw caution to the winds. LOL

Old 09-25-2018, 01:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Suddenly, Mondays just became "sandwich night".
That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. Solution right there.... (or fancy hamburgers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or