Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,593,677 times

Advertisements

You made food and let them take it away in your tupperware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The other alternative is to make what you normally would and put some away before she arrives, so there are no leftovers after the meal is served.

That's what I'd do....

Old 09-25-2018, 02:40 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,148,733 times
I've had people ask to take home something they especially liked, but I am trying to imagine a guest filling containers with all the remaining food in the pots and taking it home.

Honestly, if I saw someone doing this in my kitchen I would expect to see them put the containers in the fridge because they were helping with after dinner clean up. I would be floored if they walked out with them.

Did you get your containers back?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,861,444 times
This is unbelievably rude. That's worse than the other incident I witnessed once, with my mouth dropping open! New to the family in-law (male) helped himself to so much food out of the bowl as it was passed by the time it got around the table those at the end didn't get any. Shocking. At least to me.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,816 times
Quote:
It was rude to put more on her plate than she could eat, too.
Maybe it wasn't intentional, or maybe she didn't want to insult the chef by putting only a tiny amount on her plate.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 PM

36,974 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Maybe it wasn't intentional, or maybe she didn't want to insult the chef by putting only a tiny amount on her plate.
In view of what she did later it is pretty clear that she intentionally took too much.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,930,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Invited a friend over for dinner tonight and after i spend a lot of time making it she says she doesnt eat much and said she would take a doggie bag ,so she filled two large containers from the pot and after an hour of chit chat off she goes with several days worth of food. Am i wrong to think this was rude behaviour?
Where did the containers come from?

Did she bring them from home, and help herself? Yeah, I would consider that rude.

Did she go into your kitchen, and search through your cabinets? Definitely rude.

Did your wife hand her the two containers, saying to take what she wants? While that isn't something I would do, I wouldn't consider it rude.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
I gave her a modest amount on the plate which was the same portion size i gave to my wife and i,she ate a few bites then suggested it was too much and suggested a doggie bag,i spent all afternoon making the meal and for her to casually infer she would take it home and eat it later after just a few bites struck me as some one who just wanted a few free lunches for the week,
Also i doubt i'll get the tupperware containers back.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:45 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Quote:
It was rude to put more on her plate than she could eat, too.
What would you do if you were serving rib eye steaks? Take one and cut it into a smaller portion and slap that on her plate?

But I'll admit that this is why we've become HUGE fans of serving dinner family style for groups of 4-12. They can take what they want; and people are MUCH more likely to reach across a table for a second serving instead of getting up and going back to the buffet or saying yes when the host asks "who wants seconds".

And we wash and keep plastic containers from Chinese takeout, frozen soups, etc. No need to return the container.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:07 PM

36,974 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What would you do if you were serving rib eye steaks? Take one and cut it into a smaller portion and slap that on her plate?

But I'll admit that this is why we've become HUGE fans of serving dinner family style for groups of 4-12. They can take what they want; and people are MUCH more likely to reach across a table for a second serving instead of getting up and going back to the buffet or saying yes when the host asks "who wants seconds".

And we wash and keep plastic containers from Chinese takeout, frozen soups, etc. No need to return the container.
Perhaps the OP could tell us whether he plated the food or she did. However, when I am eating as a guest I try to accept on my plate only what I plan to eat, if the host is serving, then I eat it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink