U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 AM
 
11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Reputation: 19954

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The guest made it difficult for her host and hostess to say no. She was extremely presumptuous.
How so? She wasn't the one who put too much food on her plate, that was the OP. And it was the OP's wife who offered her the two containers to take leftovers home. Why two containers if she was only expected to take home what she didn't eat from her plate? It seems like the OP's wife wanted her to take home all the leftovers. That isn't the guest's fault.

If someone gave me two containers to take leftovers home in, I would figure that they didn't want the leftovers. If the guest enjoyed the food, why let it go to waste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Ft Myers, FL
2,088 posts, read 969,933 times
Reputation: 3860
"You wouldn't happen to have ANOTHER container about this size, would you?"

"Uhhh, yeah, I do ...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 03:49 AM
 
33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Reputation: 28484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How so? She wasn't the one who put too much food on her plate, that was the OP. And it was the OP's wife who offered her the two containers to take leftovers home. Why two containers if she was only expected to take home what she didn't eat from her plate? It seems like the OP's wife wanted her to take home all the leftovers. That isn't the guest's fault.

If someone gave me two containers to take leftovers home in, I would figure that they didn't want the leftovers. If the guest enjoyed the food, why let it go to waste?
first off i never gave her too much food as she only ate 4 bites then said she would take the rest in a doggie bag which also included a sizable amount still in the pot,had she not taken the food i assure you it would not have gone to waste,she didnt put it in such a way as a request she put it in a way that sounded like she was entitled to the food, giving her the containers was the courteous thing to do as she had no pockets to put the food in. She has been coming over for major meals like Xmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/birthdays for 30 years this Every Monday is something new and so is taking home leftovers.As this is the first time it happened i'm not sure how i feel about it,evidently it seems to me she just wants free meals for the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 04:40 AM
 
4,934 posts, read 2,562,297 times
Reputation: 21916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
...evidently it seems to me she just wants free meals for the week.
I would not feel comfortable with her. Who does that?? Does she not think that you might enjoy the leftovers? At least once a week I make more than necessary so that I do not have to cook another meal that week.

The funny thing about someone's rude behavior is that they do not know it is rude. Some people were never taught good manners/etiquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM
 
28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Invited a friend over for dinner tonight and after i spend a lot of time making it she says she doesnt eat much and said she would take a doggie bag ,so she filled two large containers from the pot and after an hour of chit chat off she goes with several days worth of food. Am i wrong to think this was rude behaviour?
I would have let her take one container but not two. Sometimes you just have to say, "Whoa, leave some for others."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Reputation: 38626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How so? She wasn't the one who put too much food on her plate, that was the OP. And it was the OP's wife who offered her the two containers to take leftovers home. Why two containers if she was only expected to take home what she didn't eat from her plate? It seems like the OP's wife wanted her to take home all the leftovers. That isn't the guest's fault.

If someone gave me two containers to take leftovers home in, I would figure that they didn't want the leftovers. If the guest enjoyed the food, why let it go to waste?
totally disagree with you. I do not know why she was given 2 containers? Maybe there were 2 different dishes and the OPs wife thought she would take a little of each? The fact remains manners should dictate what we do pretty much and I was raised not to be piggy. I would not have even asked to take some home, but it if was offered I would take a little. That would be all. Yes if there were 2 different choices I might put a little in each container. Heck I belong to a bridge group and we do have pot luck lunches a few times a year The hostess or the person that brought a particular dish always asks if anyone wants to take left overs? Often some will, but usually just a tiny bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,483 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Reputation: 19899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
first off i never gave her too much food as she only ate 4 bites then said she would take the rest in a doggie bag which also included a sizable amount still in the pot,had she not taken the food i assure you it would not have gone to waste,she didnt put it in such a way as a request she put it in a way that sounded like she was entitled to the food, giving her the containers was the courteous thing to do as she had no pockets to put the food in. She has been coming over for major meals like Xmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/birthdays for 30 years this Every Monday is something new and so is taking home leftovers.As this is the first time it happened i'm not sure how i feel about it,evidently it seems to me she just wants free meals for the week.
Only four bites? Is that normal for her? Was she perhaps not feeling well that day but didn't want to miss out on your delicious meal altogether? I think if it were simply greed she'd eat as much as she could hold and still take a doggy bag.
You say she's been coming for for meals for an extended period of time but this is the first time she's done this, so what changed recently? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she has somehow suddenly changed character and become rude, without considering there may be other things going on with her that are causing her to act this way.
If you still value her friendship it seems to me the easiest solution is to prepare her a small doggy bag ahead of time and let her know it's there to take home with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Ft Myers, FL
2,088 posts, read 969,933 times
Reputation: 3860
OP, has Mrs jambo expressed her opinion that you can share with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 02:24 PM
 
11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Reputation: 19954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
first off i never gave her too much food as she only ate 4 bites then said she would take the rest in a doggie bag which also included a sizable amount still in the pot,had she not taken the food i assure you it would not have gone to waste,she didnt put it in such a way as a request she put it in a way that sounded like she was entitled to the food, giving her the containers was the courteous thing to do as she had no pockets to put the food in. She has been coming over for major meals like Xmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/birthdays for 30 years this Every Monday is something new and so is taking home leftovers.As this is the first time it happened i'm not sure how i feel about it,evidently it seems to me she just wants free meals for the week.
Is this one of your wife's friends that you don't like?

It just seems odd that she has been coming over for dinner for 30 years, never took leftovers before, but you seem to think your wife was forced to give her two containers for leftovers. Otherwise she would have stuffed her pocketswith the food? It just seems very bazaar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2018, 02:43 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
1,690 posts, read 664,786 times
Reputation: 4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Invited a friend over for dinner tonight and after i spend a lot of time making it she says she doesnt eat much and said she would take a doggie bag ,so she filled two large containers from the pot and after an hour of chit chat off she goes with several days worth of food. Am i wrong to think this was rude behaviour?
Yes, your friend was very rude. Who says they will take a doggie bag from a friend’s home cooked meal? I never heard of such a thing. It’s one thing if you offer it to them, but for them to state that they will take a doggie bag is way out of line. I would have said “I guess you would,but I’ll eat my own leftovers”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top