U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:26 AM

8,589 posts, read 2,900,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Invited a friend over for dinner tonight and after i spend a lot of time making it she says she doesnt eat much and said she would take a doggie bag ,so she filled two large containers from the pot and after an hour of chit chat off she goes with several days worth of food. Am i wrong to think this was rude behaviour?
Very rude in my opinion, although I am not American and we don't generally take food home from restaurants or from someone who has invited us to dinner in the UK.

Also to fill two large containers and take the remaining food is not on, you are a friend and not a soup kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 02:47 PM

714 posts, read 328,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Not rude as we always give our guests food to take home with them. However, usually we are the ones filling the containers. Our guests are not just gonna help themselves. That part is rude.
Exactly. If you want to be generous and give out extra food to take home, thatís one thing. Itís another for someone to presumptuously help themselves.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:53 PM

714 posts, read 328,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Invited a friend over for dinner tonight and after i spend a lot of time making it she says she doesnt eat much and said she would take a doggie bag ,so she filled two large containers from the pot and after an hour of chit chat off she goes with several days worth of food. Am i wrong to think this was rude behaviour?
Youíre not wrong. That was extremely rude.

It would make sense if she took what was left on her plate, but unless it was offered, taking more than that is a no-no. Especially two extra Tupperware containers worth, which is way out of line.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
In my opinion, a doggie bag is strickly for restaurant food that you cannot finish. In a home, it would only be acceptable for food from your own plate that you cannot finish.

The exception is a thanksgiving meal when the host is willing to parcel out the leftovers so he doesn’t have more than he wants.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:05 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
My mom's In laws did something similar except they brought their own containers at Thanksgiving and helped themselves to leftovers without asking. My mom got so used to it after awhile she stopped complaining. I would never ask for a doggie bag at someone's house for several reasons, it's rude, maybe they want leftovers. If leftovers are offered to me it's up to me whether I want to take them or not. Usually it's a cake or cookies that no one wants. My SIL is very generous with leftovers because she makes a lot of food especially at Christmas. My MIL rarely offers us leftovers and I understand why because she lives alone and wants to have extra meals to heat up. My mom on the other hand gives out leftovers because she too lives alone and most likely won't eat it all.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
It was rude of her to assume she could take home any food at all, let alone fill up two containers.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:44 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was rude of her to assume she could take home any food at all, let alone fill up two containers.
But if she was given the containers by the hosts, then this all seems like a misunderstanding. If you want her to take just her leftovers, then don't give her two big containers and tell her to help herself.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:09 AM

1,720 posts, read 699,146 times
I can't wait to hear the update this Monday!! Don't disappoint us, OP!! ;-)

Old 10-01-2018, 09:20 AM

15,559 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Financial troubles? If so, it might change the paradigm for you.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I can't wait to hear the update this Monday!! Don't disappoint us, OP!! ;-)
The wife and i ate some early snacks before our guest arrived, she was greeted with one small hamburger,corn relish was the only condiment and no accompanying salad ,i made a point of finishing the wine before she could ask for any, unfortunately she didnt comment on the meager meal so all my witty retorts were held in check for another day,,There will be no more doggie bags on Monday nights however Thanksgiving is fast approaching we'll see what happens as she will invariably invite herself over and maybe i'll give her the left over stuffing as a doggie bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or