Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:14 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I gave her a modest amount on the plate which was the same portion size i gave to my wife and i,she ate a few bites then suggested it was too much and suggested a doggie bag,i spent all afternoon making the meal and for her to casually infer she would take it home and eat it later after just a few bites struck me as some one who just wanted a few free lunches for the week,
Also i doubt i'll get the tupperware containers back.
im divided on this because i use to get invited to a lot of dinner parties where the food was......ok... so i tended to drink more...

also consider this - one relative did the same as you stated …..and she had the perfect reply....tho im not sure how true it was...
she said "i dont/cant fix meals this good at home so i'd rather take some home to me......and not wait to see if their are "leftovers"

otherwise i cook my food fare......to my own standards and its up to them whether they like it or not.... everyone is different...

growing up we had to eat the gross vegetables like turnip....broccoli, and evil peas... so i never push anyone on certain foods.. i havent had a pea in over 35 yrs... i grabbed one at a buffet a while ago to say i had something green but then catapulted it on my sisters plate when she wasn't looking

take it as a compliment.....if they want a doggie bag …..they like your food sooooo much they want some later....or they may even give it to their dog later.... either way you were gracious and set a good example..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Perhaps the OP could tell us whether he plated the food or she did.
The OP said he plated the food himself. I found that odd. As an adult, I have never had anyone fix a plate for me, and I would never think to do that for another adult. Of course I'm not talking about someone who is sick, or can't get around.since this friend goes swimming each week with the OP's wife, it doesn't sound like she is too weak to get her own food.

Since the guest didn't put the food on her plate, I dont think it was rude to not eat it all. It doesn't seem like she got a say in how much food she was given, and might have put much less on her plate if allowed to serve herself. I'm not going to make myself sick by eating too much just to make my host happy.

I'm still curious as to how she got the two containers. The OP said they were his, but seems to be avoiding how she ended up with them. Did she get them out herself, or was she handed two containers to take leftovers with her?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
I have been a guest in a home where the entrée was beef stew. There was a salad on the table and warm rolls. The host ladled the stew into individual bowls and served them to the people seated at the table.

I didn't think it odd; much easier than passing around a heavy bowl laden with hot meat and gravy.

I enjoyed the meal and thought nothing of being served that way. The food was good, so was the company. I did not presume to help myself to take-out.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:31 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would not have spoken up, I would have sat there just like the OP did. To speak up, to me, would have been as rude or almost.
The guest was counting on the politeness and reserved manner of the host, to allow her to score those two big bags of food. The world will be inherited by the meek, but they'll only get what the others have left behind.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
I think it was rude. I would never take more food than I could eat and someone else's house. Perhaps the OP was planning to have leftovers that they cooked. I always pack leftovers for my guests but it is at discretion. I am actually more upset if someone didn't bring back my Tupperware!

This reminds me of several stories so everyone gather around....

My sister had a Fourth of July Party and one of her guests brought their own container. The "child" (she's a teenager) is obnoxious and she filled her own container before anyone even ate. My sister said something to her and her mother that perhaps the child should wait until everyone at least ate. They did not heed the hostess's request. The child did not take small amounts either

Another time, we have a big annual party that coincides with a large neighborhood festival. My neighbor texted me after the party and asked if there were any leftovers. I did not respond because I still had guests at the house so she walked next door and asked for leftovers

Old 09-25-2018, 08:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
LOLOL I'm picturing that. Of course it was rude, but there wasn't anything to be done about it by then.

Reminds me of a catered buffet we had at work. One of the employees filled a paper shopping bag with a variety of items on the two long tables, then rushed past those of us in line, saying with a laugh, I have to feed my family.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP said he plated the food himself. I found that odd. As an adult, I have never had anyone fix a plate for me, and I would never think to do that for another adult. Of course I'm not talking about someone who is sick, or can't get around.since this friend goes swimming each week with the OP's wife, it doesn't sound like she is too weak to get her own food.

Since the guest didn't put the food on her plate, I dont think it was rude to not eat it all. It doesn't seem like she got a say in how much food she was given, and might have put much less on her plate if allowed to serve herself. I'm not going to make myself sick by eating too much just to make my host happy.

I'm still curious as to how she got the two containers. The OP said they were his, but seems to be avoiding how she ended up with them. Did she get them out herself, or was she handed two containers to take leftovers with her?
The way it worked i have 4 pots on the stove with the food cooking,our dining room table is too small to accomodate 4 serving platters of food plus the dinner plates we eat off of so i thought it expedient to serve the dinner in the kitchen and bring the plates to the table, the portion i served her was not overly large and the portion she ate of it was very minimal. As for the containers? my wife gave them to her while i was attending to something in another room.
Canadian Thanksgiving is fast approaching i'll have to tell my wife to tell her friend not to take all the Thanksgiving leftovers.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
"Welcome to our home! Are you pregnant, or are those two large Tupperware® containers under your blouse?"

Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As for the containers? my wife gave them to her while i was attending to something in another room.
I'm having a hard time figuring out why this guest was rude then.

She didn't put more then she could eat on her plate, you did.

She didn't bring her own containers or jusy help herself, your wife gave the containers to her to fill up with leftovers.

To me it sounds like a problem with poor communication, not a rude guest. You assumed your guest was as hungry as you were, and didn't ask how much she would like. And it seems your wife didn't know that you wanted to save the leftovers for yourself.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:20 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out why this guest was rude then.

She didn't put more then she could eat on her plate, you did.

She didn't bring her own containers or jusy help herself, your wife gave the containers to her to fill up with leftovers.

To me it sounds like a problem with poor communication, not a rude guest. You assumed your guest was as hungry as you were, and didn't ask how much she would like. And it seems your wife didn't know that you wanted to save the leftovers for yourself.
The guest made it difficult for her host and hostess to say no. She was extremely presumptuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink