U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,839,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...26-085230.html

I'm thinking it's decorative only?
It does look that may be a serving and not cooking piece.
Is there unglazed ceramic for the interior? My cooking one is unglazed. I'm not 100 percent but I think that is a way to tell them apart.

Now with the interior photo I am sure that's a serving piece. It will be a beautiful serving centerpiece. It really is a beautiful piece! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:10 AM

178 posts, read 33,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Here is the one I have https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabl...saAvMgEALw_wcB

We go through phases were we cook a lot of middle eastern and north African dishes. So for us it is worth the price!

The Le Crueset ones are over $200. I can see spending $40-60 on one, just not over $200 for something we'd only use a few times a year. Wayfair does have some really pretty ones that can be used for cooking.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 AM

178 posts, read 33,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

It is beautiful! I can pretty much guarantee it's decorative. Is there a manufacturer's name or mark on the bottom of the bottom piece?

You can always cook your tagine in a heavy bottomed pot and then use that beautiful piece as not only your serving dish, but a lovely table centerpiece as well.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
The Le Crueset ones are over $200. I can see spending $40-60 on one, just not over $200 for something we'd only use a few times a year. Wayfair does have some really pretty ones that can be used for cooking.
Yeah Le Crueset is beyond my pay grade! I liked the Le Souk brand as they are made in Tunisia. Makes me smile whenever I look at it!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 AM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times
Now that you guys as educated me, I'm quite sure it is decorative. (I'm not at all sure the original owner KNEW that, but who knows.) Goody. Another tchotche.

It is pretty, and already has been moved to be a centerpiece on my dining room table - which has long been begging for a proper centerpiece. Maybe I'll start fibbing and say we picked it up when we were in Tunisia. . .

Old 09-27-2018, 05:24 AM

5,131 posts, read 3,639,022 times
Ok, I had to look up what a tagine was. I'd never heard of it.

I have a simple question: They are very pretty but: what is the difference between using a tagine or just a smaller frying pan with a good solid base and a lid having a steam hole in it?

Old 09-27-2018, 05:31 AM

661 posts, read 140,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

I have a simple question: They are very pretty but: what is the difference between using a tagine or just a smaller frying pan with a good solid base and a lid having a steam hole in it?
Don't know, never cooked in one.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:

Earthenware provides a different flavor than cooking in metal and keeps what's cooking moister from my experience. The conical shape allows condensation to be trapped and to drip back down on the food versus escaping through a steam hole and potentially drying out the food. Tagines also cook low/slow which helps to amplify the flavor and maximize nutrients.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:

I will try to explain but hang with me as I am not best at explaining things.

A tagine is more of a slow cooker. You want to slowly cook things so the steam that builds up, slowly, can be reintroduced to the dish. There is no hole in the top of the cone. Do you need to use a tagine? No, plenty of pans could take its place. On the other hand I have noticed a difference in recipes when I don't use one.

I'm pretty sure the clay makes a difference also. Cooking with clay is tricky but it has a lot of advantages. It holds the moisture in better, heat distributes more evenly and the food just tastes, I don't know how to say it,, brighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink